2023/24 Amadou Onana

The lad gets paid for playing the whole the whole game, he gets paid for doing his best, it’s patently obvious he does neither, how can he when he goes missing for long periods of every game so that makes him an imposter of a footballer to me.You like him because he does good, but truly basic, things now and again.

How does a defensive midfielder go "missing" ?

He’s got 7 games to show that he can dominate a midfield. Show he’s a Champions league player. Cut out the daft slide tackles and the tubthumping, chest pumping nonsense, and get on the ball and influence a game.

How does a defensive midfielder go "missing" ?
Mate, Rodri catches the eye every single game he plays, Onana goes AWOL for 80minutes every game.

Hes got a decent passing range and when he cba he is great at the defensive game.

But in a game the other day I watched the whole game pass him by, people ran past him like he wasnt there and the stats said he had a 100% tackle rate, which was laughable.

As ive said, in a good side, he will be fine, hes a very talented boy and will no doubt get us some decent money this summer, but for us, hes not very good.

Sorry, but Onana isn't really that good. Don't get so many rates him high. He's playing for a sh*te team, and isn't the standout. It tells you a lot.

I feel like Onana is a bit of a litmus test for those people who know a good player when they see one.

I.e. If you don't rate him, you haven't got a Scooby about togger.

You can see hes a very good player, thats plain to see, but when he goes missing for large portions of the games and jogs around the pitch watching the game being played in front of him, well, his potential or his best doesnt help us.

This Newcastle goal explains it perfectly.

Godfrey heads the ball in midfield, Onana makes no attempt to even win the 2nd header, he then watches as Newcastle attack and score whilst casually jogging back.

So yeah, litmus test for sure.

I feel like Onana is a bit of a litmus test for those people who know a good player when they see one.

I.e. If you don't rate him, you haven't got a Scooby about togger.

Really??
Ok granted Onana has excellent physical attributes so from that perspective you make a good point. But when it comes to mentality and footballing IQ this drops massively. He makes bad decisions regularly and always looks in second gear.

I would happily sell him to a club who can see him in the light that you do. But can you honestly see him succeeding at a top club? I always feel like he has the potential to just get the ball and drive at the opposition and draw in defenders but he never does it. So all his attributes often seem wasted. And as I've said many times before his long distance shooting is woeful yet he keeps doing it and often the other team will score very shortly after he's wasted it into row z.

I'm not totally dismissing him but there's enough reason to sell ASAP particularly if other clubs are seeing potential.

I think Onana has huge potential but at the moment we don't see that potential being shown often enough on the pitch. When playing really well he can have a huge influence on any game.
I think that in his mind he has already left Everton and is already looking towards next season somewhere else. Even last weekend he trained on Friday and didn't play on Saturday because he was too sore. I can't say I know what his injuries are exactly but it doesn't sound like someone wanting to put his body on the line.

In any event, we are definitely making sales this summer to try to avoid the nightmare of more possible points deductions next season and Onana is one of the more sellable assets.
Made a point of saying that Dyche didn’t he ,that it was the player that ruled himself out

Really??
Ok granted Onana has excellent physical attributes so from that perspective you make a good point. But when it comes to mentality and footballing IQ this drops massively. He makes bad decisions regularly and always looks in second gear.

I would happily sell him to a club who can see him in the light that you do. But can you honestly see him succeeding at a top club? I always feel like he has the potential to just get the ball and drive at the opposition and draw in defenders but he never does it. So all his attributes often seem wasted. And as I've said many times before his long distance shooting is woeful yet he keeps doing it and often the other team will score very shortly after he's wasted it into row z.

I'm not totally dismissing him but there's enough reason to sell ASAP particularly if other clubs are seeing potential.
You do know that you are soon to be told that defensive midfield players neither need to be able to drive forward or shoot it seems

Onana has the ambition to play for the very biggest clubs in Europe.

He needs to be judged by the standard of player already at those clubs rather than the standard of his midfield teammates at Everton. When he plays well he really is excellent but the best players are excellent all of the game in every game .