2023/24 Amadou Onana

Mate, Rodri catches the eye every single game he plays, Onana goes AWOL for 80minutes every game.

Hes got a decent passing range and when he cba he is great at the defensive game.

But in a game the other day I watched the whole game pass him by, people ran past him like he wasnt there and the stats said he had a 100% tackle rate, which was laughable.

As ive said, in a good side, he will be fine, hes a very talented boy and will no doubt get us some decent money this summer, but for us, hes not very good.

Rodri in his prime playing for a world class ball playing side looks better than 22 year old Onana who watches balls fly over his head most games.

But for Belgium who play on the deck...Onana looks ace.

Hard to do much when the ball by passes you for the majority of the game.

Under a manager who would utilise the midfield he and Garner would look infinitely better.

Its very frustrating but even then theres nothing ahead of Onana that screams ball player (aside from on an form Garner/McNeil) every game.

You could ask Onana because he does it every game or more easily just use your eyes and you can see it for yourself, every game, ambling back, keep your eyes on him I’ll guarantee you’ll see what I’m saying.

As i mentioned before, it seems like you want someone that runs around alot.

Really??
Ok granted Onana has excellent physical attributes so from that perspective you make a good point. But when it comes to mentality and footballing IQ this drops massively. He makes bad decisions regularly and always looks in second gear.

I would happily sell him to a club who can see him in the light that you do. But can you honestly see him succeeding at a top club? I always feel like he has the potential to just get the ball and drive at the opposition and draw in defenders but he never does it. So all his attributes often seem wasted. And as I've said many times before his long distance shooting is woeful yet he keeps doing it and often the other team will score very shortly after he's wasted it into row z.

I'm not totally dismissing him but there's enough reason to sell ASAP particularly if other clubs are seeing potential.

This post just says it all really.

He doesnt run around a lot so looks "lazy" or in "2nd gear". Should be expected to "drive forward with the ball"

When he does this he then stops himself and passes it...it seems clear hes under instruction not to leave midfield gaps and to stay in the DM role. We also dont play through midfield.

If you want a midfield player to run around alot then youre looking at CM or ACM who are Garner and Doucoure.

It amazes me how highly rated Gareth Barry was when he didnt charge around out of position. Odd that.

Rodri in his prime playing for a world class ball playing side looks better than 22 year old Onana who watches balls fly over his head most games.

Its very frustrating but even then theres nothing ahead of Onana that screams ball player (aside from on an form Garner/McNeil) every game.

I just want to see what the lad offers, I hardly see him do anything of note.

He doesnt run around a lot so looks "lazy" or in "2nd gear". Should be expected to "drive forward with the ball"

When he does this he then stops himself and passes it...it seems clear hes under instruction not to leave midfield gaps and to stay in the DM role. We also dont play through midfield.

If you want a midfield player to run around alot then youre looking at CM or ACM who are Garner and Doucoure.

It amazes me how highly rated Gareth Barry was when he didnt charge around out of position. Odd that.

The ball doesn’t get tired.

Hard to do much when the ball by passes you for the majority of the game.

Under a manager who would utilise the midfield he and Garner would look infinitely better.

I'm not sure I buy this. I can think of a fair few games where he was given the license to play football a lot more in the middle. Luton at home for example, he didn't make good use of the possession that he had and we ended up being 2 nil down and inevitably couldn't turn that around.

It's not black and white lads..
Does he have ability and potential, and at times in games look Rolls Royce?
Yes
Does he go missing and not seem to put a shift in a lot?
Yes
Are we a team/set up that suits him?
No
Should he do more?
Yes
Will he become a very decent player?
Yes, but 99% not with us
Make a few bob and move him on as it stands

Mate, Rodri catches the eye every single game he plays, Onana goes AWOL for 80minutes every game.

Hes got a decent passing range and when he cba he is great at the defensive game.

But in a game the other day I watched the whole game pass him by, people ran past him like he wasnt there and the stats said he had a 100% tackle rate, which was laughable.

As ive said, in a good side, he will be fine, hes a very talented boy and will no doubt get us some decent money this summer, but for us, hes not very good.
Comparing virtually anyone in the World to Rodri is a pointless task....he’s head and shoulders above everyone else in his position. There’s a reason we can’t have good young players at Everton and it’s primarily because people expect them to be Galactico’s and never have a bad game. They aren’t allowed to develop at a natural pace and generally they have carthorses around them. Onana is a country mile and more better than any other midfielder we have and he’ll only get better.

We’ll be selling jewels like Onana and Branthwaite when we should be punting the likes of the half-hearted centre forward we endure, and then moaning that we’re not in the market for a young up and coming superstar.

Comparing virtually anyone in the World to Rodri is a pointless task....he’s head and shoulders above everyone else in his position. There’s a reason we can’t have good young players at Everton and it’s primarily because people expect them to be Galactico’s and never have a bad game. They aren’t allowed to develop at a natural pace and generally they have carthorses around them. Onana is a country mile and more better than any other midfielder we have and he’ll only get better.

We’ll be selling jewels like Onana and Branthwaite when we should be punting the likes of the half-hearted centre forward we endure, and then moaning that we’re not in the market for a young up and coming superstar.
Half-hearted?

If you think DCL is half-hearted, I reckon that makes Onana a pacemaker.

I dont expect young players to play well for 90minutes every game.

Jimmy Garner is a young player and hes not on it every game, but he had a stellar game against Burnley, honestly, when was the last time Onana actually caught the eye in a game?

Half-hearted?

Jimmy Garner is a young player and hes not on it every game, but he had a stellar game against Burnley, honestly, when was the last time Onana actually caught the eye in a game?
When he comes on, he looks head and shoulders better than what he replaced.. the problem is when he starts he looks half arsed

When he comes on, he looks head and shoulders better than what he replaced.. the problem is when he starts he looks half arsed
I assume you mean Onana?

Anyway, hes a very good player, if he could be arsed to even show up for games and make an effort, I think he probably thinks hes better than us and he probably is.

Im not saying hes a bad player, he just lacks application playing for Everton or maybe its the manager?

Im sure he will leave in the summer and no doubt play well for the next club he joins, cos I dont think hes a bad player, theres a reason we will sell him for a profit.

But for me his Everton career will also be a case of missed opportunity, for us, not for him.

I assume you mean Onana?

Anyway, hes a very good player, if he could be arsed to even show up for games and make an effort, I think he probably thinks hes better than us and he probably is.

Im not saying hes a bad player, he just lacks application playing for Everton or maybe its the manager?

Im sure he will leave in the summer and no doubt play well for the next club he joins, cos I dont think hes a bad player, theres a reason we will sell him for a profit.

But for me his Everton career will also be a case of missed opportunity, for us, not for him.
Yes, right player wrong time.. but I think we'll do OK with the financial side of things unlike most we've spent money on under Moshiris reign

It's not black and white lads..
Does he have ability and potential, and at times in games look Rolls Royce?
Yes
Does he go missing and not seem to put a shift in a lot?
Yes
Are we a team/set up that suits him?
No
Should he do more?
Yes
Will he become a very decent player?
Yes, but 99% not with us
Make a few bob and move him on as it stands

Half-hearted?

I assume you mean Onana?

I dont think the fans (in general) appreciate having an 'anchor' type defensive midfielder.

They want to see two central midfielders charging around all the time. The Horne/Parkinson combo comes to mind.

In this setup Dyche has us playing that may be the path we go down.

Either way, it is amusing to read the likes of United, Bayern & Barca being interested along with Chelsea in the past...clearly theyre seeing something that (many) Evertonians arent.