An inconvenient truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
What ye talking about.Marco silva got us a finish of 8th that’s 12 teams we finished above.the year before that we finished 8th and the year before that 7th nowhere near the bottom 3.
In other words, Sherlock, we were never in danger of the drop because the players were good enough to keep us up. They didn't overachieve because of the managers.

Leicester have a top centre back and a top striker.

It was obvious they'd be better than us. We have neither.
Which is the top centre back? And did we know he was when they bought him?

I think we'd all agree it looked like Silva had sorted the defence when we were on the cusp of the season started.

I may be wrong but I can't imagine you were saying the same at the beginning Of the season

From July..... and I got dogs abuse for it.

Again, game of opinions but for me:

Schmichael > Pickford
Pereira > Coleman
Maguire > Keane
Evans > Mina
Chilwell < Digne
Ndidi = Gueye
Tielemans > Gomes
Maddison > Sigurdsson
Barnes > Bernard
Vardy > DCL
Albrighton < Richarlison

I’d now revise that as we don’t have Gueye and Ndidi is better than anything we have in the middle. Soyuncu is better than Maguire and twice the defender of either of our lads at centre half.

And Chilwell is leagues ahead of Digne, which I suspected at the time but LD was fresh off a good debut season.

So, for me, Richarlison was the only sure fire one that would get in their team.

If you’re saying that anyone would even consider including the likes of Keane, Sigurdsson, Mina, Pickford, Gomes and Bernard - especially when we aren’t even happy with them in our own team - then I’m afraid we’ve stepped beyond the realms of credibility.

I’d now revise that as we don’t have Gueye and Ndidi is better than anything we have in the middle. Soyuncu is better than Maguire and twice the defender of either of our lads at centre half.

And Chilwell is leagues ahead of Digne, which I suspected at the time but LD was fresh off a good debut season.

So, for me, Richarlison was the only sure fire one that would get in their team.

If you’re saying that anyone would even consider including the likes of Keane, Sigurdsson, Mina, Pickford, Gomes and Bernard - especially when we aren’t even happy with them in our own team - then I’m afraid we’ve stepped beyond the realms of credibility.

Back on ignore for saying Chillwell is better than Digne for you Keiran.

First time poster here guys so go easy...As a Scotsman who has supported this great club from a far since the early 80s and to which is only 2nd to my beloved Glasgow Rangers, it pains me to see what the squad has come to. I’ve always just read comments on this forum as I felt that I wasn’t qualified enough as I can’t make all the games like the rest of you but felt the need to say something about this squad from what I’ve seen mainly on T.V.

There is a serious lack of ability in this squad and I fully agree with the OP that most are 2nd rate players...For me, Pickford is too small to be a goalkeeper and thinks he’s actually better than he is...

Digne looked like a good player but hasn’t turned up this season. Not sure if this is because of injury or if hes just not into it anymore but would expect a whole lot more from him. Coleman for me is like marmite, you either loved him or you didnt. I wasn’t his biggest fan due to silly penalties he used to needlessly keep giving away so I’d be happy to get shot of him.

The rest of the defence is simply not a good enough standard for this club. The last Anfield game (not the kids game), I have never seen an Everton defence get so easily opened up from a long ball than I did that night. It was like they couldn’t get themselves in the correct position to defend. Liverpool carved them open with several simple long balls...

Really liked the look of Gomes before that horror injury but it looked like he was starting to struggle as he simply didn’t have good enough players round about him in that midfield. Gueye has been a massive loss and we really need a player of his ilk in the middle of the park to win balls as the current midfielders are not up to it...
Tom Davies may be a blue but he is nowhere near good enough and I don’t see any progression in him, albeit lack of playing time...

Walcott is all huff and puff for me with no end product and I’m sorry to say that we will get nowhere if we are to rely on Calvert Lewin as our main striker...I know the lad puts the effort in, gives his all and had scored a few goals recently but a club like Everton needs better...

I realise there is a bit of debate over Richarlison and for me, he just doesn’t do the right thing at the right time. He seems to be an instinct player that scores goals when he doesn’t need to think about it. Whenever he has time though, he just seems to do the wrong thing whether that be, a crap first touch, be selfish and not pick the right option or trying to go past a player and losing the ball...Folk say that he is playing for Brazil so must be good but let’s face it, hes playing in a better team with better players when playing for his country..maybe he might play better for Everton if he had better players around him..maybe he feels that he is also trying to carry this team as they are not very good...

Kean looked like the best young up and coming striker in Europe and don’t understand what could be going on behind the scenes with him..hopefully Ancelotti could give him a run of games to see if he’s up for it...

Nothing can be done with regards to ability but the least we can expect is 100% commitment, fight and passion for the badge. Big Dunc showed that with the the right attitude, you can still get results. I’ve never felt so low after a match than the game against Liverpool kids the other night. It was a downright embarrassment and I feel that if big Dunc had been manager that night, he would have gone through them like a dose of the salts...

Not sure where Ancelotit can go from here as he has a major rebuilding job to do and I don’t honestly feel he will be around long enough to see it through..

All I would say though is, there is always a way back..my rangers team were put on their arse by the SFA back in 2012 and we are now getting back to where we should be over time, even if it’s a red at the helm! I realise the scottish league isn’t the premiership but hopefully Ancelotti gets us moving in the right direction and has an eye for a player because we really do need a few...

All the best...

First time poster here guys so go easy...As a Scotsman who has supported this great club from a far since the early 80s and to which is only 2nd to my beloved Glasgow Rangers, it pains me to see what the squad has come to. I’ve always just read comments on this forum as I felt that I wasn’t qualified enough as I can’t make all the games like the rest of you but felt the need to say something about this squad from what I’ve seen mainly on T.V.

There is a serious lack of ability in this squad and I fully agree with the OP that most are 2nd rate players...For me, Pickford is too small to be a goalkeeper and thinks he’s actually better than he is...

Digne looked like a good player but hasn’t turned up this season. Not sure if this is because of injury or if hes just not into it anymore but would expect a whole lot more from him. Coleman for me is like marmite, you either loved him or you didnt. I wasn’t his biggest fan due to silly penalties he used to needlessly keep giving away so I’d be happy to get shot of him.

The rest of the defence is simply not a good enough standard for this club. The last Anfield game (not the kids game), I have never seen an Everton defence get so easily opened up from a long ball than I did that night. It was like they couldn’t get themselves in the correct position to defend. Liverpool carved them open with several simple long balls...

Really liked the look of Gomes before that horror injury but it looked like he was starting to struggle as he simply didn’t have good enough players round about him in that midfield. Gueye has been a massive loss and we really need a player of his ilk in the middle of the park to win balls as the current midfielders are not up to it...
Tom Davies may be a blue but he is nowhere near good enough and I don’t see any progression in him, albeit lack of playing time...

Walcott is all huff and puff for me with no end product and I’m sorry to say that we will get nowhere if we are to rely on Calvert Lewin as our main striker...I know the lad puts the effort in, gives his all and had scored a few goals recently but a club like Everton needs better...

I realise there is a bit of debate over Richarlison and for me, he just doesn’t do the right thing at the right time. He seems to be an instinct player that scores goals when he doesn’t need to think about it. Whenever he has time though, he just seems to do the wrong thing whether that be, a crap first touch, be selfish and not pick the right option or trying to go past a player and losing the ball...Folk say that he is playing for Brazil so must be good but let’s face it, hes playing in a better team with better players when playing for his country..maybe he might play better for Everton if he had better players around him..maybe he feels that he is also trying to carry this team as they are not very good...

Kean looked like the best young up and coming striker in Europe and don’t understand what could be going on behind the scenes with him..hopefully Ancelotti could give him a run of games to see if he’s up for it...

Nothing can be done with regards to ability but the least we can expect is 100% commitment, fight and passion for the badge. Big Dunc showed that with the the right attitude, you can still get results. I’ve never felt so low after a match than the game against Liverpool kids the other night. It was a downright embarrassment and I feel that if big Dunc had been manager that night, he would have gone through them like a dose of the salts...

Not sure where Ancelotit can go from here as he has a major rebuilding job to do and I don’t honestly feel he will be around long enough to see it through..

All I would say though is, there is always a way back..my rangers team were put on their arse by the SFA back in 2012 and we are now getting back to where we should be over time, even if it’s a red at the helm! I realise the scottish league isn’t the premiership but hopefully Ancelotti gets us moving in the right direction and has an eye for a player because we really do need a few...

All the best...

@dawhitey - it's a fair perspective from a semi-independent source, and you show a lot of affinity with the OP. As do I. I get that it is near blasphemy to say Richy can't play footy, but IMHO the analysis behind that comment is spot on, and the 'how can you say Brazil's no.9 can't play footy?' is the more knee-jerk reaction.

However I think Richy is - this season - a victim of poor coaching. He was very loyal to Silva, and who can forget the way he used to terrorise defences with his wing play at Watford for that 6 months or so when he was confident and flying? But Silva seemed to just rely on him doing that over and over, and hasn't developed him nor built a team around him.

Your analysis was spot on. He's scored some proper centre forward headers in the last 2 months, but he's also failed to complete a decent dribble, and has appeared ponderous in possession.

My greatest hope is that a manager like Carlo will bring the best out of him again, and restore a system around him that allows him to flourish.

But of late, for me he has disappointed, and I very much stand by you and SD on this point.

All the best...
Welcome mate , good to see new peeps with informed opinions expressed this well .
Stick around mate , it's going to be a very "Everton" ride .

In the summer? Clearly credible?
No? After the event so we are relying on hindsight.
Nothing to see here.

All the best...

how could you read this forum and feel you weren’t qualified to comment? Have you read some of this nonsense posted on a daily basis?

also first time I’ve heard anybody saying Coleman is like marmite. He is generally universally liked for almost all his time with us, even if people felt he has always been flawed and isn’t much of a captain. Odd comment

also finally, I thought Rangers put Rangers on their arse. Not the SFA

I just don't understand why people can't assess things reasonably. We're all guilty of saying things in the heat of the moment and i'm as guilty as anyone of the occasional lapse into hyperbole, but it just feels like so many fans veer wildly between extreme views. The OP argued with me in the summer when I said we hadn't recruited well and would do well to finish higher than 8th. He said the window couldn't be seen as anything other than a roaring success. 6 months later he's telling us we'll be lucky not to get relegated. It's ridiculous.

Seamus Coleman is now a below average PL full back. He would still get games for at least 10 teams in this league, absolutely no doubt about it. We can't just say he's dipped below the level we want though, we have to say he's league one standard. Richarlison can't just go down as a talented but frustrating player, we have to say he can't play football. It's utter rubbish, and an embarrassing post.

The OP says we have to 'grow up'. One of us does, for sure.

It's Binary Britain, mate. Everything is zeroes and ones. The best thing in history or "LiTeRaLLy tHe wOrSt tHinG eVeR!!!1"

Status
Not open for further replies.