2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
..from what Brands says, Dave, it sounds like it will be very much up to the player himself. It’s early days, lots can happen, I think everybody will have to be patient and wait to see where we are at the beginning of the summer.
Very true

Best of all is that whether we keep Gomes or not we clearly have a manager and DOF who value a creative player in the middle rather than the succession of managers we have had whose default position is two (or three!) defensive mids. This is the best halved midfield we’ve had in ages with all three player in their proper positions with complementing players around them. Lo and behold their performances have improved. Even if we don’t sign Gomes hopefully we’ll bring in a similar profile of player.

Can you find that quote from Brands?

I mean I personally dont recall it.

Here you go Goat you idiot.

The former PSV Eindhoven director of football added: “I went to Barcelona twice at the end of June or beginning of July to speak about a few Barcelona players because [Lucas] Digne was on our list and Mina was on our list. They told me about the other players who it was maybe possible to get. I asked about Gomes and they said no, he was only for sale. I knew the price and it was not possible for us so we left that. In the end, he got injured in pre-season and we started talking about him again.

The former PSV Eindhoven director of football added: “I went to Barcelona twice at the end of June or beginning of July to speak about a few Barcelona players because [Lucas] Digne was on our list and Mina was on our list. They told me about the other players who it was maybe possible to get. I asked about Gomes and they said no, he was only for sale. I knew the price and it was not possible for us so we left that. In the end, he got injured in pre-season and we started talking about him again.
If his price was too high for us then, I can't imagine it being any lower if he continues the season at this standard.

If his price was too high for us then, I can't imagine it being any lower if he continues the season at this standard.

Not necessarily too high for us. Just above what Brands was willing to pay at the time.

It might end up costing us more if we do make it permanent, but we'll know exactly what we are getting.

I don't think we'll keep him personally. I think he'll impress the folks at Barcelona and they'll give him another go

On the bright side, Loftus-Cheek is hardly getting picked every week for Chelsea, so he might be keen on a move to help his England chances with the Euro's coming up. If we can't get Gomes then he'd be a perfect alternative

The first I heard that he wasn't available to buy was from Silva. Not sure if it was an interview he did or whether it was a response to a question he was asked in a presser. Don't think I've seen it since other than Silva's words regurgitated on here and twitter.

Brands recent comments that it was up to the player whether the move was made permanent would also suggest that Barca would be up to negotiating.

I don't think we'll keep him personally. I think he'll impress the folks at Barcelona and they'll give him another go

On the bright side, Loftus-Cheek is hardly getting picked every week for Chelsea, so he might be keen on a move to help his England chances with the Euro's coming up. If we can't get Gomes then he'd be a perfect alternative

He wont ever return to Barca, it was a very dark period in his life.

RLC should just retire, hes wasting his career at Chelsea.

The first I heard that he wasn't available to buy was from Silva. Not sure if it was an interview he did or whether it was a response to a question he was asked in a presser. Don't think I've seen it since other than Silva's words regurgitated on here and twitter.

Brands recent comments that it was up to the player whether the move was made permanent would also suggest that Barca would be up to negotiating.
He won't go back there,just a case of,if we get dragged into a bidding war with another club or not.

Didn't recall that comment either.

I quite like Cenk but if we have to sell him to get gomes then it's a no brainer.

Gomes is a busted flush at Barca
He knows it
Barca know it
The Barca fans know it
Messi told Barca to sell him
He may not end up here permanently but he won’t be back at Barca
A lot will depend on Gomes himself
If he settled here , is enjoying his football and believes in the project he may tell Barca “ It’s Everton or no one “
At this stage of his career he can’t afford another failed move

Reactions: dav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back