2021/22 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

There comes a tipping point with contracts mate, were the player has to make a decision, they either stay here and see their profile decline and pick up the money or move on and back themselves. Financially, as well it may make sense, for example he may make 12 mill here over a couple of years, but if Benfica offered him a five year deal worth 20 mill over the next five years it may make more sense from a security point of view, which would take him to 33 (34), hes more likely to get a better wage now at 28 - hes 29 in July, then 30 (31) when his contract is up. Then you are looking at lifestyle decisions moving back to Portugal etc. Schneiderlin is an example of the point im making.
It’s funny to mention Schneiderlin because literally 3 or 4 others came to mind my even before him. I suppose he’s one of the few that actually made the smart decision and still plays at a decent level because he got out early enough.

I look at Bolasie, Besic, Tosun and Delph as examples of players that did the opposite and made the stupid decision of rinsing us for as much money as possible but then finding out how hard it was to get any sort of decent money after leaving. Bolasie was on good money here and realistically should still be playing for a decent Championship side or maybe low PL side making far better money than he is now, Besic the same should be a starter for a good championship club but instead he’s in like Hungary or something, Tosun and Delph will honestly be lucky to get a fifth of the wages that they got here because of the way they carried on.

They were all so short sighted, focused on getting the big money from us instead of consistent good money which would’ve been more lucrative for the 5 years after us. Gomes should be smart enough to know this because he’s played for big clubs. Much better for his own sake to get out now while he still has some marketability to a club and make a name for when he’s in his 30s unlike those 4 wasters I mentioned who absolutely pissed away their primes because we paid them well.

It’s funny to mention Schneiderlin because literally 3 or 4 others came to mind my even before him. I suppose he’s one of the few that actually made the smart decision and still plays at a decent level because he got out early enough.

I look at Bolasie, Besic, Tosun and Delph as examples of players that did the opposite and made the stupid decision of rinsing us for as much money as possible but then finding out how hard it was to get any sort of decent money after leaving. Bolasie was on good money here and realistically should still be playing for a decent Championship side or maybe low PL side making far better money than he is now, Besic the same should be a starter for a good championship club but instead he’s in like Hungary or something, Tosun and Delph will honestly be lucky to get a fifth of the wages that they got here because of the way they carried on.

They were all so short sighted, focused on getting the big money from us instead of consistent good money which would’ve been more lucrative for the 5 years after us. Gomes should be smart enough to know this because he’s played for big clubs. Much better for his own sake to get out now while he still has some marketability to a club and make a name for when he’s in his 30s unlike those 4 wasters I mentioned who absolutely pissed away their primes because we paid them well.
I understand your point, but Tosun was on a huge salary here. He will get s contract in Turkey no problem.

Delph was not earning anything as much as people think. With his injuries, there was no way he was going anywhere else.

He was found out after his loan spell, after that first season other teams realised that, if you didn't give him time on the ball to settle, but rather, put him under immediate pressure, he just wasn't up to it. The leg break came a while after that. He is a gifted player, of that there is little doubt, but, he is just not suited to this league. The problem is, in the leagues that he is suited to, the teams who may be interested in him couldn't afford to pay him even half of what we are.

Gomes was a decent standard player before that awful leg break, despite what the ignorant haters say. The fact is he has failed to regain a decent standard since.He had to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.