2023/24 Andre Gomes

I think the truth is he dropped off once signed permanently.

I also don’t think it was a particularly bad tackle by Son, there are worse every match, it was just unlucky.

The worst thing about that tackle by Son, was the intent. He never intended to break his ankle, but he did intend to 'do him'. It was obvious to absolutely everybody who was there. That's why he got upset, because he'd done more damage than he'd hoped for.

He was good in his loan season, I'm convinced that was because he hadn't been sussed out at that stage. By then time we signed him permanently other teams had seen that he was dynamite if he was given a bit of time and space, so they started to pressurise him and he just can't hack it. He's a good player without doubt and I'm sure he would thrive in France or Spain. A good player, but, not for the premier league and not for Everton.

He was good in his loan season, I'm convinced that was because he hadn't been sussed out at that stage. By then time we signed him permanently other teams had seen that he was dynamite if he was given a bit of time and space, so they started to pressurise him and he just can't hack it. He's a good player without doubt and I'm sure he would thrive in France or Spain. A good player, but, not for the premier league and not for Everton.
He was OK in his loan season because he had prime Gueye doing 2 men's work.

The worst thing about that tackle by Son, was the intent. He never intended to break his ankle, but he did intend to 'do him'. It was obvious to absolutely everybody who was there. That's why he got upset, because he'd done more damage than he'd hoped for.

That the FA and media expected people to unsee what they had seen was outrageous - as you say it was obvious why he'd done it, yes he might not have intended to hurt him that badly but Son had clearly lost his rag. Rescinding that red card was perverse.

I think the truth is he dropped off once signed permanently.

I also don’t think it was a particularly bad tackle by Son, there are worse every match, it was just unlucky.
The extent of injury was unlucky.

He meant to foul him though. The ball was well out of reach when he lunged in.

I agree his form had dropped off before that, but not to the extent it then dropped after.

The extent of injury was unlucky.

He meant to foul him though. The ball was well out of reach when he lunged in.

I agree his form had dropped off before that, but not to the extent it then dropped after.
Absolutely agree...gomes had just nicked him in the face with an elbow and you could see he wanted to get him back in his face...bounce off his own player on the way in and went in higher than intended as a result.

If you punch a man in the head, and he does, is it an acceptable defense to say you only meant to hurt him a little?

Absolutely agree...gomes had just nicked him in the face with an elbow and you could see he wanted to get him back in his face...bounce off his own player on the way in and went in higher than intended as a result.

If you punch a man in the head, and he does, is it an acceptable defense to say you only meant to hurt him a little?
Just like the owner of the Turkish club the other day - he didn't actively want to punch the ref, he just wanted to spit in his face and slap him.

Off at half-time tonight for u21’s. From match report on official site:

André Gomes, who continues his return from a calf issue, started but was forced off at half-time following a heavy challenge that appeared to draw blood from his ankle.

After suffering the blow on 30 minutes, Gomes, who played 60 minutes in the Under-21s' 5-0 win over Southampton last time out, resumed action before being withdrawn at the interval.

Not for this incarnation of Everton. For a silky, passing, confident and skilled Everton he'd be OK. The rate we're going he'll suit us a couple of years after he leaves