2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, lets refocus on young Ant, score superotgols please Anthony.
Well to refocus it let's actually develop him instead of doing a Martinez.

Think about it: Stones, Barkley, Lukaku and Deuloefeu were our young guns and they all didn't improve until he left. We can't have that anymore and Gordon is the first test.

Well to refocus it let's actually develop him instead of doing a Martinez.

Think about it: Stones, Barkley, Lukaku and Deuloefeu were our young guns and they all didn't improve until he left. We can't have that anymore and Gordon is the first test.
Theres a danger that what he lacks, cant really be taught.

Compering him to barkley is madness. Apples and oranges but Gordon desire to improve is what needed. His end ball will get better, he trying to hard in a team struggling for points. Barkley had better players around him but he was brain dead, no desire to run around. Just strolling around the pitch like a under 16 game. He was garbage

I think you've hit the nail on the head with a lot of it there. Some of the players have improved between 19 and 23, even quite significantly, but because they were being so wildly overrated to begin with people don't notice the improvement. Holgate is the perfect example, I've never seen a player be as overrated as he was 4 or 5 years ago, it was genuinely bizarre. He's better now than he was then in my opinion, but he still has all the issues that it always looked like he would have at this level. Kenny is another one that I remember people insisting was going to be an England regular when all you needed was eyes to see that he was too slow and weak to ever get to that point.

Gordon has the natural ability to go a long way in the game, but it's worth remembering that 21 isn't that young for a player like him. It's certainly young enough for him to have more improvement in him but it's not uncommon for players of his type to be at the top level at his age, and there are plenty of them who've never really pushed on much more after that age. Again, that doesn't mean he won't improve but it is strange how people just continually claim all young players will inevitably get better, when there is an abundance of evidence (and just common sense) that tells you it isn't the case.

Some have, that is for sure, but I think compared to say Liverpool or United or others we seem to struggle at that point. My own theory is they are exposed earlier at Everton, often due to necessity and as you say it causes people to overrate them. There's also a bit of a curve in sport, that you will often start well, and then people get footage of you and "work you out" a bit. A mixture of that and the ensuing lack of confidence can really hit a player. The best example of this in recent times may be Tom Davies, who was brilliant as an 18 year old, but really got found out after that.

Essentially Liverpool and others are introducing less players, so they are of higher quality.

As for Gordon, he is strangely a bit more of a late bloomer. Last year he was on the bench for an average championship team (albeit due to a change of system). The question is, can he maintain this level, and has he got another level to go too. He's grown a lot physically. He needs to be more clinical in front of goal. We will see.
And Holgate is a good example. In investing there is a phrase which is pay the right price for future growth. It's fine is a company is going to grow, but if you put too high expectations on the growth, you eventually get caught out, which I think is whats happened with Holgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back