2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure everyone will agree here, but in some ways I think Gordon's exuberance and desire helped turn the season around

We were all so beaten down and broken, but Gordon playing for his life every week and showing that passion injected some much needed life into things and it led to the supporters getting themselves back into the groove

For that reason he's the player of the season for me. He was integral to us turning it around
He was my Man of the Match for about 8 matches in a row. He really fought.

Not sure everyone will agree here, but in some ways I think Gordon's exuberance and desire helped turn the season around

We were all so beaten down and broken, but Gordon playing for his life every week and showing that passion injected some much needed life into things and it led to the supporters getting themselves back into the groove

For that reason he's the player of the season for me. He was integral to us turning it around
I agree with that. Not only brilliant on the pitch, but also a fighter in every aspect. He kept fighting even in the most difficult days. I think he’s just that sort of player that always fight till the last breath. And I do believe that such things matter when you are in a relegation battle.
So, player of the season also for me :)

No? He’s got 4 goals 2 assists this season and needs regular paying time, you’re telling me he’s fit to play in a top 10 side? I feel that we look at him in tinted glasses, yes he’s got talent but he’s a long way off, decision making and end product has a lot of work to be done.
He is just 20 years old and in his first season.
He has massive room for improvement which will come with experience.
He has already show the ability and the right attitude is there , he needs to add decision making but that will come with experience.

I honestly believe any of the top sides would love him in their squad because they could see the player he can become.

Did well this season for a limited player but will need to improve a lot If he is to be a long term option for Everton. Level at the moment Is around championship for me. Same can be said of a lot of the current squad.

Should go on loan, not premier league level but did ok in our season, loan out to a top championship side next season.
The manager put him in the same bracket as Foden and Mount

The manager put him in the same bracket as Foden and Mount
I hope not because that's just delusion and we could have the next roberto martinez on our hands. Remember when he called barkley a diamond of English football and Barkley was a lot more productive then that Gordon has been.

The manager also said Coleman is the greatest guy he's ever met. It all seems a little bit over the top to me.

Last edited:

A very legitimate argument. Easy to forget that when we were in the absolute pits he was in some games the only one in the side with any amount of drive. Him and Richarlison picked up the energy for the entire team while the rest walked around in a daze. Not to mention Anthony was the only one to truly respond to fans during the roughest stretch. He showed maturity beyond his years while most of the players hung their heads in shame.

Player of the season for me has to be Pickford or Richy just for their whole season contribution, but Gordon should get a special shout out for how he stepped up at the worst of times.

Needs to spend the entire pre-season working on his final ball. Shooting and crossing were diabolical at times, particularly from set-pieces.

If he wants to develop into a top PL attacker, he needs to add goals and assists.
I hope that this is next target. Based on how he has progressed physically over the last year, I wouldn't bet against him adding some goals and assists to his game. I'd like him to be taken off free kicks and corners to start the season, though. He's shown he's capable of being great at it, but it was getting awful there for a bit. Pressure off him and I think he can kick on and thrive.

Agreed, he is definitely work in progress but he's twenty years old and pretty much surrounded by the worst Everton team in living memory. The whole season has been spent with very little possession of the ball and so when we do have it there is a lot of pressure to make something happen. The movement from his team mates off the ball is equally woeful for much of every game so his options are even more limited when is possession. This doesn't excuse the poor crossing and corners but quite frankly he shouldn't be on corners anyway. His first touch and acceleration with the ball is excellent and I hope he can really develop this next season. He will easily be good enough for our squad as we are not going to be jettisoning anywhere near as many players as we would like. Those out of contract and probably a couple of others is the best we can hope for. Let's not expect Wayne Rooney but there's still a good player who could become an excellent Premiership player given half a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.