2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the system they want to play Matty

If they go a straight 3-5-2 then I’d imagine they’d be looking at more strikers rather than wide players
Key with a 352 like is you definitely need the type of midfielder that we don't have - and Gana wouldn't bring - to play it effectively.

If it doesn't have a deep-lying playmaker, it doesn't work.

We should have sold Barkley earlier. We have not got a good track record of turning very talented 18-22 year olds into world class players. Theres nothing wrong with taking a fee, even in the acceptance that he may go on to be better.

What we have done with Gordon feels a sweet spot for us. We got similar with Barkley and he sort of stagnated. Not sure if Gordon will, but I'm happy cashing the 40-50m insurance policy now that says he doesnt go on to the next level.

I'd say 50 million now would be much more beneficial to us than 70 million in say 2 years time - if he does go on to be a better player.

If we value Gordon at 50m, we must surely be valuing the 2 Chelsea boys, who, without being funny, have both doubled his output, at least 30m.

I mean Broja got 6 goals as a striker last year.

Gallacher has 10 goals in 66 games and is a year older.

Would you pay 30m for either? Outside of the Gordon negotiation? I don't know. Can see a case either way really.

Got to remember that this is exactly the sort of business the likes of Dortmund, Leicester, Leipzeig and Brighton do that all our hipster fans bemoan that we dont do ourselves regularly.

Sell young players for large fees and bring 3-4 players in to strenghen whilst also adding future top young players like Onana who'll be our next big sale down the line.
Last week there was open discussion on the forum about the prospect of selling Onana in a few years time for healthy profit if he does well as a good business strategy, this week it's heresy because the player in question happens to be one of our own. Funny how that suddenly changes from one player to the next.

This thread sums up evertonians, here we have a young player who neecastle are looking at as they plan to build a squad to challenge and have identified him as a part of it, and Chelsea who are alot closer are interested, and instead of looking at it and thinking we might have a player we can build a team around, people here want to sell ASAP because everton lost a couple of games and he hasn't looked good being played out of position
My judgement is on the following:

Negatives
- Carlo Ancellotti didn't think he was good enough and loaned him out - I believe Carlo would have kept him if he saw anything in him.
- He made an impact in some games last season, but scored 4 goals (2 in one game) and produced 2 assists. 2 assists for a winger is poor.
- Yes he is quick, but is lightweight goes down too easily (and Ref's know it) which is why he doesn't get fouls that he should (e.g. yesterday)
- His corner taking is woeful at best
- His shooting / finishing isn't much better.
- He is poor in the air - compare him to Richarlison for example, no contest
- I believe his stamina could be better - he does tend to get tired, but then again he does cover a lot of ground on the counter...
- I can't forget what I saw at home to Brentford last season when we were down to 10 men with a makeshift defence and he simply refused to track Rico Henry properly and cost us 2 goals.

Positives
- He is an Evertonian through and through and that passion and desire is shown most games. He was also one of the players that drove the team on in our hour of need.
- He is quick and scares defenders
- He is young and has time to learn and be coached = potential
- He can beat a man

I'm happy for people to challenge the negatives or add to the positives but on balance, I believe 40 million for him would be fantastic business for the club when you think about the market at the moment.

50mil and we are in dreamland!! He is not better than Richarlison or Gabriel Jesus...

But if we sell, then we need his replacements lined up first...

Don't agree on McNeil at all. We paid £4m for him up front mate and we needed a left-footed winger.

Agree on the rest but it's not our financial position that dictates this. If any club got an offer of £50m - if Chelsea do offer that or an equivalent etc - for a player of Gordon's current quality, then they'd consider it.
I agree on the 50m having to be considered of course, but there needs to be a firm deadline from us because if we sell, it needs to be ASAP so we have time to rebuild.

A front 3 next week of Gray Mcneil and Rondon is not acceptable at a club Everton's stature. No one should stand for it.

On McNeil I hope I'm wrong but I'm pretty concerned by his performances. A player at a new club with a point to prove should not be utterly anonymous

ok mate, have we replaced richy?

are you confident we would replace AG?

i hate this club “how it behaves as a club”

at times
we've half-replaced Richy. When he went, we needed a winger and a forward. Ideally both in one like he was (Terrier is that type btw) but they're rare and expensive. We've ended up with McNeil to provide the wide player part, but need the striker part.

That's as it stands.

IF we sell Gordon, we need another winger and still need that striker. But it could allow us to get a player like Terrier, who they like a lot but is expensive, and a striker on top of that.

If we don't sell Gordon, which is fine like, then we're only going to be able to get a striker and it may not be the player we really want.

Any club would consider selling a lad of Gordon's current ability (not potential) for £50m, no matter their financial position.

Status
Not open for further replies.