2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's entirely accurate, at some point football has to be about more than spreadsheets and player lists and stats and the bottom line and has to be about passion and connecting with something.
There has to be something to connect with.

If we had been managed better in the last five-plus years, we could have that conversation. As things stand, we have to be fairly soulless for a couple of years. That's coming through in our sponsorship decisions, in style of play, and in the transfer market.

I’m sick to the back teeth of this ‘we will be a selling club’ mantra.

Chelsea - Lukaku Werner
RS - Suarez, Coutinho, Mane
Spurs - Bale
Man Ure - Ronaldo

Teams sell their best players. Gordon isn’t even that.

Hazard would have been a better example for Chelsea.

Ultimately every club in the world, probably bar Real Madrid, Barcelona and maybe Bayern are selling clubs at some point. City and Liverpool, arguably 2 of the best 3 teams in the world currently struggle to keep their players once certain teams come in.

I’d much prefer they ran the club well and maximized revenue elsewhere so we don’t need to sell one of the few local players that actually make an impact in the first team

I get the arguments for, as we are where we are right now financially, and a few have said we want to follow a model where we sell academy players for decent money or buy players young at low value and sell high…….however one of the things I enjoy most about watching the team is when there’s a youth prospect playing and especially a local lad, and the prospect they might be at least a solid reliable squad player for years to come, but with the hope they might be something special.

In a sport where it’s just a set of bank accounts moving money around personally speaking it’s one of the main things for me that keeps it grounded in what the sport resembled years ago and one of the main things I enjoy about watching us especially in this era of utter crap and players I can’t stand.

So, no, feck off. Keep him. Buy or loan what we can by the windows end and hopefully he is at least a contributing squad player for years to come or surprises us all and becomes a top talent.

I haven’t forgotten we are on a slow rebuild back to being solid again so I’m not stressed we don’t get in players that are what people think are the real deal right now. Work with what we have and what we can get up front by windows end, improve the performances, hopefully improve by say at least 10pts the total at end of season and continue to kick on from next summer with more recycling of the trash.
I agree fully mate, some players connect with the club, Richy did and it's why it hurt to see him go, that feeling is ten times worse when it's a local lad who IS good enough.

At a certain point the game has to be about more than money as a supporter, I'm not watching Everton to see how the share price does if we play well I'm not rubbing my hands together calculating how players values will go up like on FM, I'm watching because even though I hate them at times I'm a blue and can't change it.

Tell Chelsea to go 'f' themselves and keep Gordon whatever they offer us.

If Gordon were sold I'd hope any incomings were already lined up and deals between club and player are already more or less agreed.

The domino effect you see on deadline day is similar to a house chain - everybody has everything lined up all dependent on that first move going through. The well ran clubs only sell once the replacement or reinvestment is either bought first or has been identified and already more or less agreed, badly ran clubs sell and then look around.
I would be really suprised If that wasn't the case too mate.
We really need money for forwards, We seem ok for wingers at the mo, We sold Richy and he was far more integral to the way we play, We get anywhere near that money for Gordon it would be a crime not to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.