2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just spoke to someone who said “Evertonians booing another talent out of their own team” and I pushed back on this but now I think about it maybe he has a point. Seems the same people who chased Lukaku out and still won’t accept DCL developing into a fine striker.
Is DCL a 'fine striker' though?... He's good, but not great. Play to his strengths (direct balls in the air, in the box) and you could maybe bump it to very good. Aside from the fact he is completely injury prone, we're talking about a 25 yr old striker who has got into a whopping double figues twice in his whole career, and not since Carlo was here.

IMO Lukaku was a great player for us, clearly way capable at a higher level than us and we've never really replaced him since. DCL might get you a goal every 3 or 4 games, but he's no Kane or Lewandowski or Haaland etc.

Say he becomes a top level player mate - he'll likely want off at some stage so how much would we get? £70-75 millions tops?

Say he doesn't improve and is the same level he is now at 24 - we would get what £20-25 millions if anything?

I think £50 millions is a gamble worth taking in our situation - no guarantee he'll progress to a figure above and dont think he offers us enough at present to be turning down that kind of offer.

I was sick as a dog seeing Richarlison go for £50 millions but we'll replace Gordon easily imo.
I’d have far sooner kept Richarlison. Gordon has potential but he’s nowhere near the level of say Rooney at the same age. Anything around £40 million and I’d snap the buyers hand off?

I know I'm gonna get stick for using stats, but these are the players Gordon compares to in regards to his output. He is not a £40m player. And I have real doubts he ever will be.

Looks like we already have his replacement on the books.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220815-153032__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220815-153032__01.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 131
I don't.

I'm highlighting that us receiving 50m to replace with those who are naturally more gifted when it comes to putting the ball in the back of the net,

Is an absolute no-brainer and what we were severely lacking, last year.
The fact that you are stating what his attributes are now without due consideration that footballers' abilities generally improve over time suggests you think he should be.

Where is the 'yet'??? Most players that are excellent at the age of 26/27 had patchy output at the age of 21.

I feel like we're in a good position for this transfer saga.

We don't need to sell and I can't believe Gordon would push for a move. Especially after what happened to the last person who tread that path...

If he goes, we'll get good money for him. He's not indispensable.
I guess there's 2 types of "pushing for a move": there's the demanding a transfer and downing tools unless I get what I want approach, or there's the Richy type approach where we all knew he wanted to move out but everything was amicable. I doubt Tony G is the first one, but it's entirely possible behind closed doors he's asked the club to make this happen.

We'll get good money and he'll believe he can make the grade, just as Barkley did and Rodwell did etc (hard to be a Prem footballer without believing you can cut it anywhere I imagine).

I’d actually be surprised if Gordon himself would want to take the risk of going at this stage and it could be that that kills the deal

At his age surely much better to play every game for Everton, which he’s lucky to be doing and might not be in an alternative history if we’d kept James and Richarlison and DCL had stayed fit
Gordon wanting to stay or go is the only thing that decides this possible transfer, that's the bottom line, not £40m or £50m or potential incomings.

However, for the sake of devil's advocate, as much as he'll develop playing every week here, would it be more than going to work every day under an elite level coach like Tuchel and surrounded by top talent like Mount and Havertz and Kante and James etc instead of Davies and Gbamin and Rondon...?

We need a serious business model, and if it’s not developing young players and selling for a huge profit, then I don’t know what is.
Could have sworn the fan base has been screeching a demand for this for yearsssss....... but apparently it only applies to young players who aren't local lads, and/or don't identify with us, and/or don't give the fans a connection to the club, and/or might not be worth twice as much three years down the line.

I think the reality is, we’re in a situation where someone gets upset

If you want to keep Gordon, we basically nullify his game anyway, because we have no forwards, and we’re ultimately screwing ourselves over. That £50m is something some fans will be desperate to take.

The other take is, we sell Gordon, a play with potential high ceiling calibre for £50m, and send out the wrong signal to the rest of the team.

I’d prefer to sell, because what’s the point in keeping him if he can’t give anyone service. We need forwards or we’re screwed.

We need to accept and adapt to the buy to sell model, and £50m is just money you cannot refuse.

I think we should take the money. He is a great prospect and I hope he goes on to have a successful career, but we are not getting 40m worth of production out of him right now, His goals and assists don't match up to the hype.

If there is a player included as part of this deal please don't let it be Barkley!

Yet they signed the Brighton LB for like £62m.

Wouldn’t worry about that.

Chelsea are obviously going to send out messages of concern because that could intimidate us to going a little lower in our asking price (which I’m okay with, provide its not shockingly low).

Status
Not open for further replies.