2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is DCL a 'fine striker' though?... He's good, but not great. Play to his strengths (direct balls in the air, in the box) and you could maybe bump it to very good. Aside from the fact he is completely injury prone, we're talking about a 25 yr old striker who has got into a whopping double figues twice in his whole career, and not since Carlo was here.

IMO Lukaku was a great player for us, clearly way capable at a higher level than us and we've never really replaced him since. DCL might get you a goal every 3 or 4 games, but he's no Kane or Lewandowski or Haaland etc.
We play a lot better with him in the side.

The double figures shout is a bit off isn't it really? He played out wide and was a kid for the first few years, then he played up top and scored a bunch of goals before getting injured and missing loads of games. This is why stats are crap, they don't take anything into account.

If he plays he will be fine. That's the issue, will he be able to play much?

I will repeat the sentiment that it's bonkers we could get even 30mil for this lad.

Don't get me wrong I'd much rather have him in the squad than Townsend, Gray etc of course. But I just don't see him ever being more than an OK squad player.

We could sell all our fringe/dross and not have anywhere near to £45m thats being touted around.

could get 3 or 4 under performing players with jarg bouffant hairdo's who flatter to deceive as much as Gordon does for that price.

Moshiri is saying Gordon's attitude has changed since he dyed his hair. Say's he just wants to have more fun and not be in a relegation battle.
That's funny, my ex wife once said a similar thing, before it all went t!ts up (well, not literally of course. Apparenlty that was an "insensitive birthday present")... ?

Neither clubs say they have made or received a bid - so this all sounds like a complete and utter waste of our time. Still - beats working I s'pose.

We play a lot better with him in the side.

The double figures shout is a bit off isn't it really? He played out wide and was a kid for the first few years, then he played up top and scored a bunch of goals before getting injured and missing loads of games. This is why stats are crap, they don't take anything into account.

If he plays he will be fine. That's the issue, will he be able to play much?
I agree with you that we'll probably be fine if we can get +25 games out of him, perhaps 15 goals; but I also wouldn't ignore the stats. At 25 years old to be in double figures a mere 2 times is as concerning as his injury record (he's not the kind of striker that makes things happen, you need to play to his strengths). He's not a shadow on Rom in my opinion, but Rom is an elite level player and we're not an elite level club so it what it is I guess.

I know I'm gonna get stick for using stats, but these are the players Gordon compares to in regards to his output. He is not a £40m player. And I have real doubts he ever will be.

Looks like we already have his replacement on the books.

Lampard loves Jack Harrison btw..

I'm baffled by the number of posts complaining we didn't accept the opening bid. That's not how negotiation works.

I think everyone knows that but it was so far over the lads value.

To be fair though, it was rising to £43 million so we didn’t know what the details of it was. The clauses may be completely unrealistic and the down payment low but that sum is ridiculous for him.

Absolutely spot on.

Just because the Gordon bid became public yesterday doesn't mean the wheels haven't been in motion for a while behind the scenes; it's exactly how transfers work these days, given all the contracts and lawyers and agents and intermediaries etc. You'd like to think that IF we've decided to sell, we're just doing the dance of "considering the offer" whilst we get our ducks in a row, instead of not panicking on deadline day.
Yep - If Chelsea are feeding news of their bids to the few reputable journos rather than it just being speculative stories then terms have pretty much been agreed with the player's representative(s). That's not to say the deal will go through but there's a reason you very rarely hear about players failing to agree terms after a bid has been accepted.

I agree with you that we'll probably be fine if we can get +25 games out of him, perhaps 15 goals; but I also wouldn't ignore the stats. At 25 years old to be in double figures a mere 2 times is as concerning as his injury record (he's not the kind of striker that makes things happen, you need to play to his strengths). He's not a shadow on Rom in my opinion, but Rom is an elite level player and we're not an elite level club so it what it is I guess.
He has had one season as a full time striker where he has not been injured and scored a good amount of goals. The only stat that needs looking at there is how many games he played up front in a season. The stats are not giving an accurate representation of what has actually happened as it is not taking the position he played, his age or his injury record into account!

Lukaku could make a goal by himself, that is the big difference. It separates the good from the great etc. I'm not sure he can do that either these days.

I'm baffled by the number of posts complaining we didn't accept the opening bid. That's not how negotiation works.

I'm not being horrible, but it seems to be from similar sources who say that nobody would want Gordon, Gordon isn't good enough, and that we should have taken 25m when it was offered.

Whatever you want to say about the board, and there is a lot of criticism that needs doling out, thank goodness they have a bit more negotiation and analytical skills than some of the above.

It's not just the " he's a local lad " problem it's also the message we are sending out to potential signings and our current better players.

Kicks in teeths all around the club. Surely the slower leagues must fancy Allan/gomes for a bit of cash.

Keane could sell and do well at the right club. The other kean?
I'd love to know what Championship club's would pony up a few mil for 30-odd year old Allan let alone be willing to match/improve Gomes' reported £120k a week wage. (Assuming either of those two would want to drop down a level, which I doubt they would).

Keane possibly with West Ham rumour but I think that ship has long sailed.

EDIT - might help if I read 'slower leagues' properly instead of 'lower leagues', but ya get the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.