2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well hes the one consistent, and also the chairman of the board, so has ultimate power/responsibility as the more senior exec in the org.
I’ll start by saying I have no idea of the specifics of Kenwright’s role (like pretty much everyone else on here) - but I will say that being chairman of the board in no way automatically means you have “ultimate power or responsibility”

I’ll start by saying I have no idea of the specifics of Kenwright’s role (like pretty much everyone else on here) - but I will say that being chairman of the board in no way automatically means you have “ultimate power or responsibility”
He must have some power considering it was him and DBB who signed the deal with Laing O’Rourke for the stadium costs.
Hardly something a silent shareholder does.

They clapped when we sold Rodriguez because he was lazy.

They clapped when we sold Digne, it was to good a deal to turn down.

They clapped when sold we Richalison because he was a headless chicken and we could do better with the money.

They clapped when we sold Gordon because because he had no end product.

They stopped clapping then as there no one left to sell.

We will sell Gordon bring in a bang average striker.
Imagine the look when we tell him we have Gray,McNeill and Townsend to supply him.
It’s hardly mouth watering.

He must have some power considering it was him and DBB who signed the deal with Laing O’Rourke for the stadium costs.
Hardly something a silent shareholder does.
Not saying he has no power, just that none of us can say he has “ultimate power” just by job title. I’d say it’s unlikely he has final say over much, as a 1% shareholder, when someone has ~95%, but my overall point was just a warning against sweeping statements

They clapped when we sold Rodriguez because he was lazy.

They clapped when we sold Digne, it was to good a deal to turn down.

They clapped when sold we Richalison because he was a headless chicken and we could do better with the money.

They clapped when we sold Gordon because because he had no end product.

They stopped clapping then as there no one left to sell.
We sold Rodriguez because he was on high wages and we couldn't keep him on the pitch. We sold Digne because we got a talented, young direct replacement and another young talent in the bargain.

Very, very few of us clapped when we sold Richarlison. It was something that was coming unless we delivered results on the pitch, which we did not.

We're discussing selling Gordon for the same reason we sold Digne. At some point we have to accept the fact that we got here by squandering an enormous amount of funds in a way that did not generate many assets, and that the only way we can get out of this mess is by converting what assets we do have into a better position than we're currently in.

You’re getting a £45m bid for a lad who isn’t even a focal point of our team. He’s nowhere near as important as Stones was or Barkley (not towards the end) was or Richarlison was and let’s be absolutely honest here, he’s never going to become a world beater.

The fact that he doesn’t want to sign a new deal and has 3 years left means this isn’t even a discussion, it’s good business.

We sold Rodriguez because he was on high wages and we couldn't keep him on the pitch. We sold Digne because we got a talented, young direct replacement and another young talent in the bargain.

Very, very few of us clapped when we sold Richarlison. It was something that was coming unless we delivered results on the pitch, which we did not.

We're discussing selling Gordon for the same reason we sold Digne. At some point we have to accept the fact that we got here by squandering an enormous amount of funds in a way that did not generate many assets, and that the only way we can get out of this mess is by converting what assets we do have into a better position than we're currently in.

All very logical mate, of course you are entitled to that opinion.

However up to line two of my post saw us in a relegation battle last season.

Now we have sold Richarlison and in the process of Gordon. What do we expect to happen, get better?

We’ve systemically stripped the club of any creativity, threat, expansive play and guile. A clear trend from window to window.

Whats left?

I mean what do people expect to happen next, that’s going to improve us. Do people really believe we’re going to build a whole new front line better then any of the above in the last two weeks of the window…it’s not happening.

If you were told after Palace we’d have sold Richarlison and Gordon, with two weeks go in the transfer window with no direct replacements and DCL out till Oct - would people have been over joyed or think that was positive - yet somehow in peoples minds they can rationalise this as a positive somehow, your post a case a point, I don’t mean that as a personal slight, but it’s also like a mental defence mechanism - to the sheer lunacy.

Weve played two games and haven’t looked like scoring by anything else only a fluke, we were poor up top last season and poorer now - yet people think these deals are too good to turn down - bananas.

Last edited:
You’re getting a £45m bid for a lad who isn’t even a focal point of our team. He’s nowhere near as important as Stones was or Barkley (not towards the end) was or Richarlison was and let’s be absolutely honest here, he’s never going to become a world beater.

The fact that he doesn’t want to sign a new deal and has 3 years left means this isn’t even a discussion, it’s good business.

Actually, I was quite shock that they would offer up to 45mil for Gordon, who only really had a breakout season last season. And 3 years left is a long time. but if Chelsea bid for 50mil (with higher cash upfront), I believe Gordon will be sold.

I doubt we will get any replacement in time so we are in for another difficult season (i.e. relegation battle). We have yet to replace Richarlison, we have yet to sign another option in attack since DCL injury 2 weeks ago. Gueye signing stalled. And now Gordon could be sold. We went from being optimistic to pessimistic in about 1-2 weeks. Our board and recruitment needs fixing.

All very logical mate, of course you are entitled to that opinion.

However up to line two of my post saw us in a relegation battle last season.

Now we have sold Richarlison and in the process of Gordon. What do we expect to happen, get better?

We’ve systemically stripped the club of any creativity, threat, expansive play and guile. A clear trend from window to window.

Whats left?

I mean what do people expect to happen next, that’s going to improve us. Do people really believe we’re going to build a whole new front line better then any of the above in the last two weeks of the window…it’s not happening.

If you were told after Palace we’d have sold Richarlison and Gordon, with two weeks go in the transfer window with no direct replacements and DCL out till Oct - would people have been over joyed or think that was positive - yet somehow in peoples minds they can rationalise this as a positive somehow, your post a case a point, I don’t mean that as a personal slight, but it’s also like a mental defence mechanism - to the sheer lunacy.

Weve played to games and haven’t looked like scoring by anything else only a fluke, we were poor last season and pooer now - yet people thing these deals are to good to turn down - bananas.
I think we got better up the wings by turning Digne into Myko and Patterson.

We never had a choice on Richarlison. If you want to argue that we did a poor job of prepping for that eventuality, by shoving the chips all-in on getting to Europe in Carlo's second season in a way that left us with no funds the following season to make another run at Europe or replace Richarlison, you have a leg to stand on. It's not like Moshiri et al were unaware what COVID was going to do to the finances, because it already had landed.

Will selling Gordon improve us? It depends on how we reinvest. If we turn the proceeds into some wing creativity, a creditable striker and another quality mid, we should get better. If we don't, we won't. What's clear right now is that we're too reliant on a single, injured player to produce goal threat, and I would argue that we would be better off if we could turn one of our brighter talents into multiple avenues to get the ball into dangerous areas and into the back of the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.