2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mad the way so many are happy for him to leave on the back of two poor games in which he has had to play out of position with no focal point to aim for. If he scores two against Forest there will all of a sudden be uproar at the thought of losing a home grown star and protests on a Rooney scale.

Bigger picture. He is still unfulfilled potential. His end product and decision making needs to improve a lot but he has time and the right attitude to do it. What he did last season may not have been world class but the character, determination and mindset he showed means there is every chance this lad will drive himself to better things. Keep this lad and invest in him.

Not many will agree though as he’s been poor for two games. Wish people could see a bigger picture
I don't think he's been particularly poor in the last 2 games , but he has been asked to play out of position and it's quite clear he can't lead the line.

However he has thrown himself into the role with his usual good attitude.

That's not the reason why many want to see him sold. It is quite simple - Chelsea's offer significantly over values him and potentially allows us to rebuild the creativity and threat that is so sadly lacking in the team.

Inappropriate Language
I will be disappointed in him if he leaves. Chelsea are stockpiling young players (got a few from Arsenal and other clubs over the summer) and there is no guarantee his career will be any better than Barkley’s over there.

If he gives us another season or two and we are still rubbish whilst he has become a better player, I’d completely understand his reasons for moving on. Not now though.

I see the media push is in full swing. Seeing comparisons between him, grealish and sancho because he outscored them both "while playing for everton" and they cost over 170m, so just think how good he could be.

I don't think he's been particularly poor in the last 2 games , but he has been asked to play out of position and it's quite clear he can't lead the line.

However he has thrown himself into the role with his usual good attitude.

That's not the reason why many want to see him sold. It is quite simple - Chelsea's offer significantly over values him and potentially allows us to rebuild the creativity and threat that is so sadly lacking in the team.
Totally agree, only to add that his fee would hopefully enable us to stabilise the club and ensure PL status. That should be our only objective at the moment.

We should take the money and run (no guarantee that we wouldn't fritter it away on rubbish though). Gordon is 21 and has probably been playing football in academies, reserve team, etc for over 10 years. It's unlikely that his game will substantially improve. If he hasn't been able to successfully address his poor crossing/decision making/scoring/etc in those 10 years, then it's wishful thinking to imagine that he will do so in the next 2-3 years. How many players are average/good at 21 years old and improve to be very good/great by 25 years old? It doesn't happen.

Such a shame that we are selling Gordon and a bigger shame that the fan base is split down the middle on it.. The cycle of selling our best players just keeps continuing, I really thought these days were behind us.

We are farther away than we have ever been and it's utterly depressing.
I'm not coming down hard on either side of the fence r.e. Gordon - but as a general point, selling our best players for huge profit is exactly the business model we need to climb the table.

We've got to work our way back through intelligent, profitable squad building. We can't just assemble a team in their early 20s and watch them develop as a single unit for 5 years. It's just not realistic.

Mad the way so many are happy for him to leave on the back of two poor games in which he has had to play out of position with no focal point to aim for. If he scores two against Forest there will all of a sudden be uproar at the thought of losing a home grown star and protests on a Rooney scale.

Bigger picture. He is still unfulfilled potential. His end product and decision making needs to improve a lot but he has time and the right attitude to do it. What he did last season may not have been world class but the character, determination and mindset he showed means there is every chance this lad will drive himself to better things. Keep this lad and invest in him.

Not many will agree though as he’s been poor for two games. Wish people could see a bigger picture

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think we should sell him because of his two games this season, I think we should sell him because in the 50 odd games he's played he's scored 4 goals most of which were deflected, hardly got any assists and they are offering 40-50m.

This should buy someone who comes in straight away and instantly doubles that goal return

has he said he wants to leave?

…according to some knowledgable folk on here, he doesn’t want to leave but the club’s PR machine are telling their contacts in the press that he wants to leave & is refusing to sign an improved contract with us.

I think the gist is that the club wants to push him out.

At least I think that’s what they’re saying, it’s all very complicated.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.