2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I see a million posts saying swap him for Gallagher & Broja…

Can I be the first & hopefully last to say it doesn’t work like that!

We actually need the 50 million on the books. That’s far more advantageous in terms of then buying new players.

Player exchanges never really happen anyway, but certainly in our case we need the hard cash on the books.

Nothing stopping us agreeing fees for Gallagher etc as part of the negotiations though…

But we take the cash & do the transactions separately!

We actually need the 50 million on the books. That’s far more advantageous in terms of then buying new players.

Player exchanges never really happen anyway, but certainly in our case we need the hard cash on the books.

Nothing stopping us agreeing fees for Gallagher etc as part of the negotiations though…

I think thats what people mean. Similar to Brighton, make them part of any negotiation (2 perm or 1 loan, one perm) but separate deals

Because they see a player with the raw materials to become a very good footballer and probably have the superior coaches to get something out of him. I don't think we do, hence why our academy products don't hit the heights we all think they will when they first come through (Davies, Barkley, Rodwell, etc).
Potential being realised is all about the character of the person and Gordon's can be achieved here. Chelseas and Man Citys supposed superior coaches didn't help the careers of Barkley and Rodwell did they!

Player exchanges don’t happen but more so teams will effectively do it and just have the transfers be officially separate, it’s better for both clubs. Spanish clubs do it loads, think it happens a good lot in Italy too. I mean Chelsea literally just done one with Brighton although but just with a loan.

You cant trade players anyway, they all must have a fee on the balance sheet.

He’s a wide player so until we get a striker then we can’t really judge. He does stretch teams and is great on the counter. His end product does need to improve but he’s still very very young.

It's a big yes for me to letting him go, if we get that actual price if Chelsea are mad enough, i dont get this thing where we are told he is the mostly likely and looks the most dangerous in games he is dong nothing in at all, he seems to run into players more then try and take them on and goes down a touch to easy at times, but i just cannot see us letting hm go at all the way Lampard has gone on about him, but it could work in our favour if it means we can get a Chelsea player or 2

He should be given some slack because a) he hasn’t cost us a penny.
b) there’s no lack of effort.
d) he’s been given a chance to play for the club he supports and he’s taken it. So
would we.
e) he’s 5 years younger than Gray.
f) he’s played about 180 less first team games than Gray nearly all of which in a relegation threatened/poor team.
g) he’s being played out of position.
h) he’s probably one of the lowest paid first teamers we have.

Should he be 1st choice for Everton? No

Should he be a part of the squad because of his potential? Yes

If he’s not good enough nobody would be interested in him.

Of all the players we should be wanting to sell he’s close to the bottom of the pile.
He does put in effort, no one can fault his running ability. But with a ball at his feet I’m not sure he’s shown he’s all that and at this level and his age he needs to be showing more, just little flashes of brilliance would be a start but it’s very predictable. Yes, we could wait until he realises his potential but that doesn’t win games now and after last season I’d rather have some inclination as to what he brings to the team in an actual attacking sense other than pace and as an outlet. He’s a professional footballer so he’s clearly very good at football, but we can’t keep lashing him on the pitch in the hope he might realise his potential at some point, or we will end up getting turned over every game and in the same position as last season. I think we would all jump at the chance to play for Everton, doesn’t mean we should so that doesn’t count for much as an argument imo. That front three that started the first two games are not what we need, not just Gordon but while he is still that kid with ‘potential’ I think we should cash in before he ends up another Davies, a lad that didn’t live up to the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.