2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordon can only dream about being anywhere near as good as Mirallas. They shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

But again, Kevin Mirallas has 60 caps for one of the best teams in the world. If Gordon gets near that for England he will be one of our best ever players (of recent times).

If you have a look at Mirallas record, we signed him in prime, and his best season for league goals 8. He scored 29 across 5.5 seasons, averaging about 5 goals a season. 8 was his best season outside of Greece (which is an awful standard, so not really comparable).

Gordon had his first season last year and got 4. We are 1/3 of the way through this season and he has 3 (so on course for 8/9 goals). Hes not miles behind Mirallas. I'd also happily wager his best season will see more than 8 goals as well. And hes younger than Mirallas, playing in a worse team etc. And Mirallas was a good footballer.

When you distill it down, Gordon's stats look pretty good. But it seems people want Ronaldo every week as a base level requirement. It's not realistic.

But again, Kevin Mirallas has 60 caps for one of the best teams in the world. If Gordon gets near that for England he will be one of our best ever players (of recent times).

If you have a look at Mirallas record, we signed him in prime, and his best season for league goals 8. He scored 29 across 5.5 seasons, averaging about 5 goals a season. 8 was his best season outside of Greece (which is an awful standard, so not really comparable).

Gordon had his first season last year and got 4. We are 1/3 of the way through this season and he has 3 (so on course for 8/9 goals). Hes not miles behind Mirallas. I'd also happily wager his best season will see more than 8 goals as well. And hes younger than Mirallas, playing in a worse team etc. And Mirallas was a good footballer.

When you distill it down, Gordon's stats look pretty good. But it seems people want Ronaldo every week as a base level requirement. It's not realistic.

Mirallas is/was absolutely levels above Gordon.

Mirallas had a combined 73 G/A in 186 games in all comps. That's a goal-scoring action every 2.5 games or 150mins (based on mins played).

Gordon has so far a combined 15 G/A in 72 games in all comps. That's a goal-scoring action every 4.8 games or 290mins (based on mins played).

He may be younger but he has a long way to go before he reaches Mirallas level for us.

Current forum boo boy… there always has to be one and it’s usually a local lad that gets it.

Maybe give him a chance to regain his form instead of completely writing him off. After all he was one of our better players last season and without him we might have gone down.

He’s still young and far from his peak, dips in form are bound to happen. Of course he’s been frustrating with his decision making and up and down performances, but three goals so far from an out of form player isn’t too bad.

I was looking forward to seeing him progress this season and he looked confident taking the 10 shirt, but I think the Chelsea bid nonsense really derailed him and turned his head. Fingers crossed he can get his head down and turn it around.

Mirallas had a combined 73 G/A in 186 games in all comps. That's a goal-scoring action every 2.5 games or 150mins (based on mins played).

Gordon has so far a combined 15 G/A in 72 games in all comps. That's a goal-scoring action every 4.8 games or 290mins (based on mins played).

He may be younger but he has a long way to go before he reaches Mirallas level for us.

But that is Gordon aged like 18 to 21.

I'm looking at league games, as a like for like comparison Mirallas best season was 8 league goals. Gordon will outdo that in his career I'm sure. Peak Mirallas, who was a very good player, is not levels above where Gordon is now. Or not for goal return anyway.

The only thing that metric tells you is what he is doing vs what someone expected. It tells you nothing about his actual skills as a finisher.

Well the metric gives an objective statistical measure of what a player would be expected to score given the same chances.

I cant think of a better metric when measuring someones finishing ability. If you know of one, I'm happy to here it.

Gordon has a very good first touch and explosive pace, the rest is up to him. If he really works on the weak aspects of his game, awareness, stamina management and knowing when to shoot and when to play in a team mate, then, he has a chance of being a really special player. Only time will tell.
So he only needs to learn...... the near entirety of football to become a better player? Well, I cannot disagree with that.

A Kevin Mirallas type player is exactly what this side needs as the next step in the progression

Status
Not open for further replies.