2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to a point yes. But I'm not sure he misses that many chances compared to the average player mate. His expected goals is about the same as his number of goals. By that metric hes not a bad finisher.

Everyone will have a different view, but I dont think attitude, or finishing ability are his main weaknesses.
I don't fault his attitude/ work rate but i think his finishing and decision making are poor

But again, Kevin Mirallas has 60 caps for one of the best teams in the world. If Gordon gets near that for England he will be one of our best ever players (of recent times).

If you have a look at Mirallas record, we signed him in prime, and his best season for league goals 8. He scored 29 across 5.5 seasons, averaging about 5 goals a season. 8 was his best season outside of Greece (which is an awful standard, so not really comparable).

Gordon had his first season last year and got 4. We are 1/3 of the way through this season and he has 3 (so on course for 8/9 goals). Hes not miles behind Mirallas. I'd also happily wager his best season will see more than 8 goals as well. And hes younger than Mirallas, playing in a worse team etc. And Mirallas was a good footballer.

When you distill it down, Gordon's stats look pretty good. But it seems people want Ronaldo every week as a base level requirement. It's not realistic.

Id take Mirallas week in week out over Gordon. He was a game changer and offered so much more.

Im more frustrated we didn't sell Gordon, i dont see a top quality player in him. I see an average player that runs a lot, gets a pass for being a blue but we should have cashed in imo.

Id take Mirallas week in week out over Gordon. He was a game changer and offered so much more.

Im more frustrated we didn't sell Gordon, i dont see a top quality player in him. I see an average player that runs a lot, gets a pass for being a blue but we should have cashed in imo.
I think most people would as Mirallas was great for us when he joined, also Mirallas was 25 when he came here with plenty of football under his belt.

At Anthonys age Mirallas was playing for Lille where he scored 10 in 76 games, I reckon Gordon would probably be doing better. Again maybe give him a bit of time.

Gordon added a goal or two to his general progress early season, which is brilliant, but I saw him at Fulham where his flat spot in current form continued.

Needs 2 x active target men in DCL AND Moped hitting the box...

Could rest him vs Leicester, or throw EVERYTHING at them for an hour then replace him with Gray or McNeil. He'll come good :)

That's probably fair, but hes 21 and could well get better.

Mirallas was great for a season but never the same after his hamstring for me.

I think Gordon's best season will better than Mirallas's best too in terms of goals.

Im not disagreeing, but what exactly did you see from him last season? Imo his biggest strenght last season was his willingness to run, not his overview, footballing brain or talent/skills. A will to work isnt enough to become good enough in the PL.

I still have faith in him, but i doubt he will ever become what some on here hopes for. Atm he is a bargain bin Mirallas, if he can improve enough to be just a Mirallas(with good attitude), we should be happyish with that - expecting more is setting him up to fail.

Any lad that comes from Liverpool and out of our academy to be the level of a player like Mirallas is a massive success. The majority of them end up dropping out the game or in league two.

In this century we’ve produced two players from our academy who are better than Mirallas, and you could argue on his day he was better than Barkley. The expectations of our fans are mad

Status
Not open for further replies.