2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
His performance against Fulham was a shocker and there have been a few similar performances.
He is greatly over-valued and we can only hope that he does an Iwobi and completely change but
it may take a long time. At the moment he is not good enough.

Sell, if possible. Or, barter.

or
His performance against Fulham was a shocker and there have been a few similar performances.
He is greatly over-valued and we can only hope that he does an Iwobi and completely change but
it may take a long time. At the moment he is not good enough.

Sell, if possible. Or, barter.
Or give him time to develop.... he isn't great at the moment, but its not like we have loads of players playing really well at the moment..

He is still only 21 & will have peaks & troughs, however let's remember he is a rising star & had a lot of speculation on him in the summer.
He will continue to improve & we have one of the best young wide forwards in the premiership, Lampard will nurture & mould him into a great player, his attitude seems excellent & he will pull through this temporary lapse of form.

An important component of a successful premiership footballer is psychological strength. It is a known tactic of the most financially powerful clubs to turn the heads of new talent before a new season starts. These powerful clubs may not be interested in purchasing these potential stars, they simply want to get in their heads! They know from experience that destabilising them will more often than not ruin their form going into the new season. This benefits the so called elite clubs as the clubs below them may not perform as well as they might have done. Also the destabilised player may become available for cheaper the following transfer window.

Anthony has a lot of potential. We saw it last season. However he saw the bright lights of London beckoning with all the attention and riches that it could bring. He is young. This will happen. Chelsea have manipulated him to our detriment.

His mind/ego now needs to be unravelled by the clubs coaches/staff. As supporters we need to back him and give him space. If we get on his back it will play into the hands of Chelsea.

Please just leave him alone.

Last edited:
Anthony has a lot of potential. We saw it last season.
Im not disagreeing, but what exactly did you see from him last season? Imo his biggest strenght last season was his willingness to run, not his overview, footballing brain or talent/skills. A will to work isnt enough to become good enough in the PL.

I still have faith in him, but i doubt he will ever become what some on here hopes for. Atm he is a bargain bin Mirallas, if he can improve enough to be just a Mirallas(with good attitude), we should be happyish with that - expecting more is setting him up to fail.

Im not disagreeing, but what exactly did you see from him last season? Imo his biggest strenght last season was his willingness to run, not his overview, footballing brain or talent/skills. A will to work isnt enough to become good enough in the PL.

I still have faith in him, but i doubt he will ever become what some on here hopes for. Atm he is a bargain bin Mirallas, if he can improve enough to be just a Mirallas(with good attitude), we should be happyish with that - expecting more is setting him up to fail.
Unless he learns to manage his fitness over a 90min period he is going to struggle to have any kind of top level career.

An important component of a successful premiership footballer is psychological strength. It is a known tactic of the most financially powerful clubs to turn the heads of new talent before a new season starts. These powerful clubs may not be interested in purchasing these potential stars, they simply want to get in their heads! They know from experience that destabilising them will more often than not ruin their form going into the new season. This benefits the so called elite clubs as the clubs below them may not perform as well as they might have done. Also the destabilised player may become available for cheaper the following transfer window.

Anthony has a lot of potential. We saw it last season. However he saw the bright lights of London beckoning with all the attention and riches that it could bring. He is young. This will happen. Chelsea have manipulated him to our detriment.

His mind/ego now needs to be unravelled by the clubs coaches/staff. As supporters we need to back him and give him space. If we get on his back it will play into the hands of Chelsea.

So many assumptions

Gordon can only dream about being anywhere near as good as Mirallas. They shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

I really don't get the hype with Gordon. Even at his best he is average. We have never seen glimpses of brilliance from him just moments of being decent.

His work rate is great but he cant finish and his end pass & decision making is really poor. The amount of chances he has fluffed is becoming embarrassing and really could have gained us a lot of points but he is just so poor in-front of goal.

Some people saying he was great last season, but was he really?

I cant believe we didn't sell him this summer especially for the offers we received.

Not a chance Potter sanctions a bid for him and Conte wont be at Spurs next summer.

You cant have watched us long mate, as I can think of hundreds of examples of players not running as much as Gordon.

He is not fit enough (which is a concern) and he seems to go into his shell. But christ, the idea he downs tools like some I've seen is not the case at all.

The reality is, the league is not full of 20-21 year olds tearing it up. It's a hard league for them to do so. That consideration has to be factored in.
No excuse for missing as many chances ads he does though

Good post mate, that made me think a bit. ;)

No excuse for missing as many chances ads he does though

Well to a point yes. But I'm not sure he misses that many chances compared to the average player mate. His expected goals is about the same as his number of goals. By that metric hes not a bad finisher.

Everyone will have a different view, but I dont think attitude, or finishing ability are his main weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.