2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isnt gordon meant to be in talks for a new contract now. Some of the stick this lad gets is unreal. You would think every top team in every top league has a 20 year old dictating and winning games on their own. He is very young and needs time and patience good coaching and support from the fanbase. Its not gordons fault the manager has stuck him up top and expected him to play like a 6ft2 centre forward. His game isnt playing with his back to goal and flicking on aimless goalkicks. He was still our most dangerous attacker at villa whether you like it or not. Keep and invest in more young players for me anyway.

He's got more of a chance to reach his potential at Chelsea than with us. They don't have to rely on him.

We would have to. And with that comes an expectation which has now shot up because he's now being valued as a £40million player.

Anyone saying he's a bad player is wrong. However anyone saying he's worth more than £40million is also wrong.

If they come back in with a new bid I would expect Everton seriously do consider it.

If you look at his loan, it wasn't great at all. Some of that is on him, some on the club in question and Everton picking the wrong club too, but it wasn't all on him and it didn't develop him in any way.

We relied on him far too much last season given his current quality. Just like we now rely on Iwobi to do everything in our midfield. I applaud Iwobi's form over the last 6 months but he's still Iwobi, he still hits passes straight at opposition players like he's trying to make them invisible.

All I'm saying is if the club decide to turn down another bid - I don't think they will if it hits the £50m valuation btw - then it won't change my opinion on Gordon. I already think he needs to deliver more, but I think the real issue is that the club are so reliant on a 21-year-old to be the main creator in the team.
Personally I just don’t really buy it. I’ve said before, when it came to the crunch last year he got 1 goal and no assists in the last 16 games. Holgate had more goal involvements. That isn’t even meant as a criticism, it’s just to highlight that the idea we were relying on him to do everything is a bit mad, because if we had been we’d 100% be in the championship right now. There’s nothing weird about a 21 year old winger being a regular starter, it’s like some people have never actually watched football before.

Every player has his price and Gordon will be no different.

Lampard, Thelwell and the board have to be asking themselves would 50m be worth it.

He's been dreadful in pre season and piss poor in 2 games. Now, ideally he'd be dropped imo and just take him out of the firing line but we are that crap up top we simply can't do that. So we are having to rely in someone who isn't playing well, doesn't have a terrific scoring record or assist record and hoping he helps get us out of this hole.

We're In such a mess due to poor recruitment and finances that Lampard might just be thinking "hey, I need to think about my own job here and as things stand I could do with a couple of players who I feel will slot/assist and so it's worth twisting instead of sticking"

I don't think Gordon would push for the move, but if it happens I would understand why. We've been so badly run, Lampard has one hand tied behind his back and as things stand, we won't be winning games any time soon with a front 3 of Gordon, Mcneil and Gray.

On the flip side, if Everton were actually doing their job properly then in the next couple of days there should be 2 forwards in regardless if he stays or goes because thays the bare mininum we need if he stays. If he goes, there should be ANOTHER additional 2 players on top where we spend the money, giving Lampard the chance to really flesh out the squad.

We'll see anyway
Basically this.

We'll get players in whether Gordon stays or goes. It's not like the Richy situation.

But if he goes, it changes the calibre of player we can get in and also pretty much sorts out a huge financial black hole.

Every player has a price.

I dunno I think Chelsea might struggle stumping up 35k for their new 50 million pound player.

are we sell fc? seems it

If we get finished article money for a potentially good player we have to take it. All that money can be re-invested to make the squad better and more balanced. We already have 2 players + Townsend who can play that position and probably create more this season.

I'd have liked to have kept him this year to see if that potential could turn into a reality here but 50 million plus is not to be sniffed at.

Not half as grim as starting with the same front 3 we've done so far.

Either way this should put the ‘he’s only 6 and a half why’s everyone expecting him to actually do stuff’ argument to bed. If he stays and we rejected a bid of over £40m or Chelsea come back and spend mega money on him then he’s going to be expected to make that look like a good decision for whichever club he’s at, and not just by fans on a message board.

I do get what you are saying mate, but I'm not sure its helpful if he stays.

It's not his decision how we value him. He has to do the best he can. His valuation, and any anger that may arise has to be directed at the people who take that decision.

Basically this.

We'll get players in whether Gordon stays or goes. It's not like the Richy situation.

But if he goes, it changes the calibre of player we can get in and also pretty much sorts out a huge financial black hole.

Every player has a price.

Every player has a price at every club as well mare as you know, this isn't exclusive to us having to sell.

It's a bit crap because of the situation we are in where we are so weak up top that it seems criminal to even consider selling another player. But needs must in situations like these and they have to decide if its for the best.

The growing abuse the lad has been getting, I wouldn't blame him for getting off to Chelsea.

No doubt the same ones slaughtering him will be calling him a 'rat' if he left and boo him whenever he plays against us.

He can't be as bad as the social media 'experts' make out when a club who won the Champions League just over a year ago comes in for him.
Nobody will call him a rat. This isn't Barkley here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back