2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understatement of the cenutry like

The lad has tons of talent, but he's unable to put it together consistently

By the time someone is 25 though, I do think that window has probably shut, in a way it hasnt at 21.

He may get better, but cant see it being dramatically so.

Every player has his price and Gordon will be no different.

Lampard, Thelwell and the board have to be asking themselves would 50m be worth it.

He's been dreadful in pre season and piss poor in 2 games. Now, ideally he'd be dropped imo and just take him out of the firing line but we are that crap up top we simply can't do that. So we are having to rely in someone who isn't playing well, doesn't have a terrific scoring record or assist record and hoping he helps get us out of this hole.

We're In such a mess due to poor recruitment and finances that Lampard might just be thinking "hey, I need to think about my own job here and as things stand I could do with a couple of players who I feel will slot/assist and so it's worth twisting instead of sticking"

I don't think Gordon would push for the move, but if it happens I would understand why. We've been so badly run, Lampard has one hand tied behind his back and as things stand, we won't be winning games any time soon with a front 3 of Gordon, Mcneil and Gray.

On the flip side, if Everton were actually doing their job properly then in the next couple of days there should be 2 forwards in regardless if he stays or goes because thays the bare mininum we need if he stays. If he goes, there should be ANOTHER additional 2 players on top where we spend the money, giving Lampard the chance to really flesh out the squad.

We'll see anyway
Two players, and this is part of the point. We need more depth because so much of our squad keeps being injured. Some of that is down to idiocy. Some character. Some luck. But we need depth.

Every player has a price at every club as well mare as you know, this isn't exclusive to us having to sell.

It's a bit crap because of the situation we are in where we are so weak up top that it seems criminal to even consider selling another player. But needs must in situations like these and they have to decide if its for the best.
And if he is going get it done quickly and hopefully we have deals lined up
But this is everton

If the number we want is 50, we hold out for 50. Brighton did it and got their number, Leicester look to be doing it with Fofana and will likely get their number, if they want him they'll pay up, or at least chuck in a Billy Gilmour.

You’re joking 40 mil is more than enough. We bought Rich for 40 and that was in a hyped pre-Covid market. Gordon will never be the player Richarlison is.

Isnt gordon meant to be in talks for a new contract now. Some of the stick this lad gets is unreal. You would think every top team in every top league has a 20 year old dictating and winning games on their own. He is very young and needs time and patience good coaching and support from the fanbase. Its not gordons fault the manager has stuck him up top and expected him to play like a 6ft2 centre forward. His game isnt playing with his back to goal and flicking on aimless goalkicks. He was still our most dangerous attacker at villa whether you like it or not. Keep and invest in more young players for me anyway.
Hard to invest in 'more young players' when you don't have much money. A £45-50m fee for one player might allow us to do that with several others.

You still don't pick them based on the defensive part

Well you do partially. I mean a huge part of the Ronaldo United issue is he is bad defensively. That's how modern coaches think. They build a system, and require people to contribute at both aspects of it.

I think you are fooling yourself, if with both Richarlison, and Gordon people havent noticed their intelligent work off the ball.

Well you do partially. I mean a huge part of the Ronaldo United issue is he is bad defensively. That's how modern coaches think. They build a system, and require people to contribute at both aspects of it.

I think you are fooling yourself, if with both Richarlison, and Gordon people havent noticed their intelligent work off the ball.
There is a minimum you reach. Once you're there you don't care how good they are.

Got to remember that this is exactly the sort of business the likes of Dortmund, Leicester, Leipzeig and Brighton do that all our hipster fans bemoan that we dont do ourselves regularly.

Sell young players for large fees and bring 3-4 players in to strenghen whilst also adding future top young players like Onana who'll be our next big sale down the line.
But we just bought McNeill for 20m. Looks like the club may need more practice to replicate that business model.

Status
Not open for further replies.