2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems more emotional than backed with logic. I'm glad Everton didn't just take the 40-43m whatever and if they don't increase their bid he stays and I'm comfortable with that. Make no mistake this isn't just getting shot because we need the cash, but if people are going to offer way over market value then we have to listen.

There is no given that Gordon goes on to be a great player, he could easily become another Gray. He might get injured thid season or just fall out of love with the game due to the pressure. If any of that happens the fanbase would be up in arms for not taking the cash when we had a chance and put forward as another reason why we so incompetent.

mikey’s point is correct mate i posted similar last night

The lad wants a move, he has likely been told he is getting the move (hence the phone celebration, commenting on Chelsea posts)
An Evertonian, brought through the ranks, and getting to play on the biggest stage week in week out, with a revolutionary new stadium around the corner.
Yet he'd rather go and sit on Chelsea's bench. Suit himself.

Whats he done? Can you add some screenshots into this thread?

That's fair enough mate.

I just think in the abstract, you cant say hes not good enough for us, when a top 3 team, who recently won the CL want to spent (at least) over 40m on him. He is obviously good enough for us.

Your answering the question of is he worth that figure, either intrinsically or to us. That's a different question and one I agree with you on.

He's good enough for where we currently are. I'd say it makes sense to swap him with 2 players of similar/higher potential with the money.

So they are going to pay £50m for a player to be back up in a position that he's never played?

Wow , I know Todd's an American but wow.
Well for the money, Cucurella and Chilwell spring to mind...on the left so why not the right?

Where else will he play?

Generally, just to incite a reaction.

I don't think anyone would accept a lower offer. Let's be clear this is all about FFP and not so much about ambition.

But your constant negativity is borderline wind up !

I can assure you I'm not on a wind up. But no I am not positive about our chances this season and I am disappointed with where we are at. I don't see any reasons to be positive right now.

I've been clear that I will accept the reasons for selling Gordon if Chelsea increase the bid and leave us with no other option. That doesn't mean I like the fact we have to sell our up and coming young player before we get to see how good he can be. Every player has their price of course, but that doesn't mean I don't feel disappointed about having to sell him.

Sorry if this opinion is not positive enough.

I've wanted to post on Gordon for a bit. It's been a bit of a mad couple of weeks for him.

There seems to be an unusually high animosity towards him, that borders on the ridiculous. 12 month ago he was a lad who didn't get into a Preston team (albeit partially down to a new manger and position change) and was really on the fringes of the team. 12 months on, he won our player of the year scored soem critical goals and in a team full of players who at times threw the towel in worked his absolute socks off for the team, irrespective of his ability.

It seems like people have really made their minds up that he is going to be some sort of scapegoat before the season started. I have no idea why. He hasn't cost us a huge fee, he isn't taking up huge wages and he has shown the sort of attitude we would all want to see.
The first two games he has been fine. On both the games the commentators (impartial) have commented how well he has done and how he needs extra help. One of the teams we have played against have subsequently bid over 40m. Yet some people would have you believe he was poor the last 2 games. You throw in that he was playing out of position in those two games, for the good of the team and it gives a wider context of those performances.

He is clearly a very good player for us, when played in position, and arguably out of position, or best attacking outlet. He was inches away from scoring our first goal of the season and being the only player who has scored for us.

There is a wider question about at what point you sell any player. I don't think any club can be so brazen as to not have a figure it sells a player, and honestly a club in our position can't. A bid of around 50m fulfills that in my view. I suspect it may come in, and theclub would have to strongly consider it.

If it doesn't go through though, none of that should be taken out on Gordon. It's not the lad himself's fault that people have a certain value on him. He's not the one robbing you of 45m or whatever. he is just a lad, who played an important role in keeping us up, and probably making an enormous profit for the club. That probably needs to be factored in, in some of the evaluations that we have seen.
Brilliant post ????

what we say “i’d take this n that”

we don’t know what’s off n on

if it’s BK doing it we will sell Ag for 21 mill lol
Tbh tho if Gordon wasn’t a local lad or played for someone else I’d probably say he’s worth about £25m we’re putting a price of more than that on him for the fact he showed potential last season and has pace one injury could change that pace and then that potential probably goes cause without it he’s an average player

This is the price of all those years of mismanagement, they have left us in such a mess financially that any decent club can come along and take any player they want from us and probably at a cut down price. Who's next after Gordon probably Pickford, we will end up with the dross that no one wants to take that have been draining the club for the last few years. The way we are going we could possibly sell Onana before the deadline.

Whats he done? Can you add some screenshots into this thread?

He's good enough for where we currently are. I'd say it makes sense to swap him with 2 players of similar/higher potential with the money.

Well for the money, Cucurella and Chilwell spring to mind...on the left so why not the right?

Where else will he play?
They are established full backs .

Gordon has never played that position.

For me it's partly that he's a local lad, but moreso he's had one proper season, and yup he's not the finished article yet by a mile, but you look across this team and he's the one player when he gets on the ball that gets bums off seats, pace, great workrate, can go past very good players with ease, we won't be able to bring in somebody with those qualities who also has the potential to improve (at under 21 level for England he's shown great end product).

So we sell him for 50m say then 20m of that goes on a McNeil type, and two 26yo strikers from France arrive for 15m a pop.

You as a club cannot keep selling the few players you have that bring something different and expect to be anything than a very average team with no potential to be anything but that.

Last season literally Richy and Gordon where the only two who when they got on the ball tried to do anything with it, if we end up selling both in the same window then we've literally given up trying.

We have to buy better mate. But we could potentially get the young lad from PSG, Mykolenko and Patterson for the sme money.

Or Onana Gana and Coady.

Or Mcneil, Gallacher and Mykolenko.

You kind of get the gist. It doesn't just have to be wasted.

I’d take £50m and Broja don’t want batshuayi tbf at this stage of his career and the position Everton are in £50m is very good money and we simply can’t turn that down.
Definitely would prefer Broja but not seen anything concrete that Chelsea are even prepared to let him go. We are in a tricky position and I'm not sure we can turn our noses up at Batshuayi.

We need two strikers and we are not going to be able to pay high fees for both. One is going to have to be a lesser fee and probably a lesser standard. If we brought in a quality CF then I can live with someone like Batshuayi as the other forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.