Are we at the stage where we consider a mass rebuild in the next 7 days or not? Stick or twist?

How are we looking FFP wise if we don’t do anymore business in 24/25 and then head into next summer?

The thing that blows my mind is how we scout. I’ve no idea if we use agencies or direct on the books scouts/how it’s all run - but when you look at the talent we’ve wasted £££ on over the years. I know Oumar Niasse is 34 but the guy could hardly get a game in league one since leaving. I think we’re still carrying so many of that talent level and it’s hurt us.

I was just thinking to myself about the players that we all think are pretty much surplus to requirements or we may need to cash in on to improve the club overall. Below I have come up with a list of players, the fee we might be able to get at short notice and what we would save on wages if they left based on estimated wages found online:
  • Michael Keane: Fee £5m and est wages of £3,848,000
  • Mason Holgate: Fee £5m and est wages of £3,848,000
  • Abdoulaye Doucoure: Fee £15m and est wages of £6,240,000
  • Jarrad Branthwaite: Fee £60m and est wages of £2,080,000
  • Dominic Calvert Lewin: Fee £15m and est wages of £6,240,000
  • Neal Maupay: Fee £5m and est wages of £2,080,000
Total Transfer Fees: £105m

Total Wages saved this season: £24.336m

Are you taking into account settling contracts or coming to an agreement? Footballers tend not to take lower wages elsewhere if there isn't some form of recompense from the selling club unless they're absolutely desperate for a move to happen. That's the reason you see so few official written transfer requests.

Someone like Holgate isn't going to get his wages matched anywhere else and certainly not after a club pays £5M for a player who can't get into the Everton side and has 1 year left on his deal. The Doucore fee looks a tad optimistic as well.

If there was legitimately a market for all the above then I reckon 2 or 3 would have gone in the summer.

I was just thinking to myself about the players that we all think are pretty much surplus to requirements or we may need to cash in on to improve the club overall. Below I have come up with a list of players, the fee we might be able to get at short notice and what we would save on wages if they left based on estimated wages found online:

If you assume we may get a downpayment of 20% of the transfer fees (seems to be the going rate) that would be £21m in cash right now plus a saving of the committed wages of £24.336, making a total of £45.336m cash in the bank to spend before the deadline.

If we put 20% down like most teams seem to do that could mean that in the last week of the window, we could feasibly buy players for a combined fee of over £226m inc their wage commitments for the season.

Obviously, these are just basic numbers on the back of a cig packet sort of thing but I was asking myself the question of whether I think it would be worth having a mass sale this week (with the upheaval that brings in terms of our next few fixtures while they settle) just so that we can get the overall squad in a stronger position to try and give us some optimism going into the season as a whole.

Would you be happy with selling them all and would you trust Thelwell to spend that money on that many players in such a short space of time and get it right?
Id sell all except Branthwaite and Dom only if we got a replacement lined up or in the door already(not Broja)
The rest I'd love to see gone which is why we won't get anything for them

Are you taking into account settling contracts or coming to an agreement? Footballers tend not to take lower wages elsewhere if there isn't some form of recompense from the selling club unless they're absolutely desperate for a move to happen. That's the reason you see so few official written transfer requests.

Someone like Holgate isn't going to get his wages matched anywhere else and certainly not after a club pays £5M for a player who can't get into the Everton side and has 1 year left on his deal. The Doucore fee looks a tad optimistic as well.

If there was legitimately a market for all the above then I reckon 2 or 3 would have gone in the summer.
The figures are very much speculative but the overarching question remains the same. Would you sell most or all of those to fund an influx of 5/6/7 players and would you trust Thelwell to act quickly and wisely in 4 days to get them done?

If you assume we may get a downpayment of 20% of the transfer fees (seems to be the going rate) that would be £21m in cash right now plus a saving of the committed wages of £24.336, making a total of £45.336m cash in the bank to spend before the deadline.

If we put 20% down like most teams seem to do that could mean that in the last week of the window, we could feasibly buy players for a combined fee of over £226m inc their wage commitments for the season.

Obviously, these are just basic numbers on the back of a cig packet sort of thing but I was asking myself the question of whether I think it would be worth having a mass sale this week (with the upheaval that brings in terms of our next few fixtures while they settle) just so that we can get the overall squad in a stronger position to try and give us some optimism going into the season as a whole.

Would you be happy with selling them all and would you trust Thelwell to spend that money on that many players in such a short space of time and get it right?
Is that a new dance we have invented or are we playing Pontoon ? :D

The figures are very much speculative but the overarching question remains the same. Would you sell most or all of those to fund an influx of 5/6/7 players and would you trust Thelwell to act quickly and wisely in 4 days to get them done?

No. Of course not. Would I do it on FM? Yes. Reality? No.

Nobody wants to accept it because they see our situation as a selling club as permanent ... but we don't get better by selling great young players. So if we're talking fantasy stuff (which selling all these players so quickly is fantasy) then I'll stick with the fantasy of us retaining our best players. Which, to be clear, would mean selling all these bar Branthwaite. But can't be done so quickly and easily.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back