Are you that bothered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s an opinion rammed down football fans throats by the media: ‘the football is dour’ ‘dinosaur football’ ‘% football’. As though anything played in the air is awful whilst only tiki takes in slippers on a carpet is entertainment.

We played quite a few long balls against West Ham. At no point did I find it boring though, is it wrong to say I actually enjoyed it? Mainly because Calvert Lewin was battling for all of them. We also played some great stuff on the deck for the second goal. The Goodison crowd loves effort, a big tackle, a whipped cross onto a towering header, god forbid a striker clattering a centreback and winning a flick on to a midfielder making the run.

Under Martinez even when we played well in that first season we always seemed to lack a little bit of that fighting spirit that seems to get the Goodison crowd off their seat. Sure there were some great moves and entertaining games but were there really loads of those ‘come on Everton’ moments when the whole ground is surging behind the team battling in Royal Blue?

If you watch back clips of the 80s teams they would mix up the long ball with short intricate stuff and crosses. The complete team who could play any way they wanted.

So my question is. If we are winning, if the atmosphere is crackling again, if the players are responding to it, are you that bothered if Sam introduces a little more of the ‘long ball’? Personally i’ll take all the patronising kopite media put downs in the world if going the match starts feeling more like Wednesday night than the last 4 and a half seasons.
The most exciting football will mix it up. Great tackling; long if there is a chance or needs clearing. What matters is doing the right thing at the time. I can't stand the 'my philosophy types who will see the team get tanked but refuse to change (Martinez for instance) Wengers great teams could mix it up a lot. Remember us playing them off the park at Goodison and they fouled and booted it long and beat us 4-1 or 4-0 can't quite remember. In short you are spot on.

LOL.

I'd forgotten about him, he was so bad it was laughable and a proper nark too.

Did he ever score ?

Without checking, I don't believe he did.

I feel like he played less than 15 games for us. I didn't think when we signed him he would be as poor for us as he turned out to be.

The most exciting football will mix it up. Great tackling; long if there is a chance or needs clearing. What matters is doing the right thing at the time. I can't stand the 'my philosophy types who will see the team get tanked but refuse to change (Martinez for instance) Wengers great teams could mix it up a lot. Remember us playing them off the park at Goodison and they fouled and booted it long and beat us 4-1 or 4-0 can't quite remember. In short you are spot on.

If it's the game I am thinking of we went one up and had several opportunities to add to it. Then Eduardo (pre-injury) scored on half time and we ended up getting beat 4-1 in a game we should have had sown up.

Despite how good they were at the time I remember feeling shell shocked at the final score.

Without checking, I don't believe he did.

I feel like he played less than 15 games for us. I didn't think when we signed him he would be as poor for us as he turned out to be.
He thought he was billy big boots too and ended up getting shipped out to someone in Scotland if I remember rightly.

He was truly terrible

Derby and you aren't bothered? why not?
I worded that badly so not what I meant. The op asked if we're bothered about style of play. I want us to play good football but I want a result tomorrow, badly, and I'm not bothered if we get that result by playing hoofball or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.