Are you that bothered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Domingo

Player Valuation: £80m
It’s an opinion rammed down football fans throats by the media: ‘the football is dour’ ‘dinosaur football’ ‘% football’. As though anything played in the air is awful whilst only tiki takes in slippers on a carpet is entertainment.

We played quite a few long balls against West Ham. At no point did I find it boring though, is it wrong to say I actually enjoyed it? Mainly because Calvert Lewin was battling for all of them. We also played some great stuff on the deck for the second goal. The Goodison crowd loves effort, a big tackle, a whipped cross onto a towering header, god forbid a striker clattering a centreback and winning a flick on to a midfielder making the run.

Under Martinez even when we played well in that first season we always seemed to lack a little bit of that fighting spirit that seems to get the Goodison crowd off their seat. Sure there were some great moves and entertaining games but were there really loads of those ‘come on Everton’ moments when the whole ground is surging behind the team battling in Royal Blue?

If you watch back clips of the 80s teams they would mix up the long ball with short intricate stuff and crosses. The complete team who could play any way they wanted.

So my question is. If we are winning, if the atmosphere is crackling again, if the players are responding to it, are you that bothered if Sam introduces a little more of the ‘long ball’? Personally i’ll take all the patronising kopite media put downs in the world if going the match starts feeling more like Wednesday night than the last 4 and a half seasons.

Being defensive with two banks of 4 doesn’t necessarily equate to bad football if we get the counters right.

I’d be fine if we played like that going forward, just sharpen our attacking counters.

Allardyce doesn't necessarily play bad stuff. He just plays pragmatically.

The problem is that I believe he's defensive-minded by nature and will never win anything; but merely survive. So his teams may play good stuff to go 2-0 up, but he'll shut up shop no matter how long is gone in the game.

Which is fine as it'll keep you up. But you won't win things because you don't convey confidence in your squad with that attitude.

Also, he's an actual crook who will take millions out of our club. Which is the actual problem with him.

Being defensive with two banks of 4 doesn’t necessarily equate to bad football if we get the counters right.

I’d be fine if we played like that going forward, just sharpen our attacking counters.
The RS won a champions league under benetiz employing the same tactics.

Don’t care as long as we win.

I used to love watching Everton during the peak of the Moyes era. We played a lot of long balls but we used the ball smartly and got results.

Think the biggest problem for me is the comedown from the start of the season, £140m spent, Koeman looking like he could kick us on after finishing 7th, fortress Goodison again, thoughts of challenging the top 6 (and more) Europa league glory. Then the reality of it all now, we're gash, and we've got Sam Allardyce managing us, sigh....

Status
Not open for further replies.