Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Arouna Kone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive never rated him even when he was at Wigan. Been quite open about it and also when hes been hailed as a top player earlier this season..i said to give him till Jan.

Tell you what though, he hasnt done badly. Looks like Lukaku enjoys playing with him as well which could be a factor in his super performances this season.

However is he individually better than these players for the left hand side:

Mirallas
Cleverley
Pienaar
McGeady

I think Martinez needs to buy another Deulofeu level player for the left side and have Kone as backup for him + Lukaku. He also clearly tires at 60mins every game now so perhaps best as sub.

Think he's in the Naismith zone now and coasting on some better performances early in the year.

Time for the bench.

Not Cleverley or Mirallas - neither of them would play far enough forward / occupy the defender in the way that Kone does, which creates the space for Lukaku. Play Kone there until January, then get Austin.

This was true early in the year but right now Lukaku is benefiting from Del and a generally in form team far more than Kone.

I think Mirallas would be better than Kone NOW.

The Kone from earlier in the year might be a better fit than Mirallas I will concede but if that Kone shows up again then nobody wants to bench him anyway and we aren't even talking about this. This is only an issue because Kone is not playing as well as the rest of the front players. Many of us think Mirallas could play better ... hell I'd take a healthy Pienaar there (Pienaar + Baines > Kone) now too.

Think he's in the Naismith zone now and coasting on some better performances early in the year.

Time for the bench.

This was true early in the year but right now Lukaku is benefiting from Del and a generally in form team far more than Kone.

I think Mirallas would be better than Kone NOW.

The Kone from earlier in the year might be a better fit than Mirallas I will concede but if that Kone shows up again then nobody wants to bench him anyway and we aren't even talking about this. This is only an issue because Kone is not playing as well as the rest of the front players. Many of us think Mirallas could play better ... hell I'd take a healthy Pienaar there (Pienaar + Baines > Kone) now too.

He wasn't very good yesterday, but I still think it is more about the position he plays rather than how he plays in that position; surely it is no coincidence that Lukaku is getting that much more space now the defence has to think about someone else. I wouldn't play Mirallas or Pienaar from the start there because they would not occupy that position, and we don't have an obvious replacement apart from kids / that River Plate (Uruguay) lid. That is where we need to strengthen in January, not just because of that but also in the eventuality of one of Kone or Lukaku getting injured.

Austin, Jordan Rhodes, or some lids from Europe would be welcome.

Our shape and style is so much better with Kone in side. Players around him are getting a lot more space. Even when he's not a threat, his movement and touch make it easier for those around him. Certainly no way I'd consider replacing him with Mirallas. Maybe Kev will be used to change shape when we are in a position to just counter attack but he's a long way off a first team place now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back