2024/25 Ashley Young

He was an attacking winger/forward for years, and only played full back for United because they could afford to play him there.

It just doesn’t make sense to me to play him there for us.

Thing is, Young or Coleman could be ten times as good at defending as a kid like Dixon but it doesn't matter if their legs are gone- there's simply nothing you can do if the attacking players can just run away from you. You can't execute a perfect tackle if you're huffing and puffing ten yards behind them. So you might as well play the kid who can run.

That was always going to be the problem when we gave new contracts to both Young and Coleman. One I could understand but, with Patterson also still at the club, it meant we couldn't possibly sign a right back. What club, other than Chelsea, obviously, could have 4 right backs in a squad of 25? I would've let them both go but keeping both was insanity and we are instantly reaping what we have sown.
I agree with you, I mean they can both play multiple positions, but aren't on the level anymore. Sportively we shouldn't have extended. I'm sure the financial situation did have a massive impact on that as they are fairly cheap in comparison to knew signings.

But thinking we would have little money to reduce all the things the squad lacks and all the positions that would need depth and quality upgrade, that's really hard choice, also considering it was pretty clear that we needed to sell Onana or Branthwaite first to even start with it. And the problems were rather in offense than defense last season...

Too add there was and still is a precarious situation with all the contracts running out 24 or 25, loans ending.

Coleman and Patterson have both the problem to be injured a lot, it doesn't help either. It is one of many positions to find a solution.

U saw today how Brighton punished our mistakes, and how we acted in similar situations in the first half... That was shocking as much as some of Dyche's choices.

Young as emergency cover at LB is fine. Young starting is possibly the worst starter in the league.

The only hope is this forces Thelwell to get a RB in before the end of the window

Ashley Young has been my most hated player in the premier league dating back over a decade. Even prior to being a complete liability for us, he was a nasty scum of a player typical of the worst aspects of United.

I am not unbiased when considering his performances.

Nothing would please me more than for us to terminate his contract on Monday.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.