2024/25 Ashley Young

We sold our best right back (based on form at the end of last season). He could also have done better than Keane today.

Should have waved bye to Young, and topped up Godfreys offer. I mean, he’s not great, but finished the season really really well. Covers LB, RB and CB. All the positions we are threadbare and he was already on the books. He might be a bit crap, but so are we.

But no. Extend Seamus out of sentiment. Extend Young out of utter stupidity. Spend all remaining cash on a centre back that “is learning about the PL and what it means to be and Everton player and what we expect blah blah.”

Garner is now our best right back. And Keane and Holgate are a Tarky stomach bug away from both starting against Spurs.

Window started quite well. But as the dust has settled, good god we are unbalanced. Again.

Why does he rather play his rubbish pals with experience, who he knows are 80% likely to make a mistake and cost us points, over a young player who might not, baffles me.

No point blaming the player.
Dyche and Thelwell saw his level of performance last season.
They think he's fine to start the season with.
Today was pretty much what he served up all last season.

I know this is true and I fundamentally believe a player can only be as good as their talent allows.

But I hate Ashley Young so, so much. I can't remember the last Everton player I had so little time for. There's no redeeming features. Can't wait to see the back of him.

Ashley Young has been my most hated player in the premier league dating back over a decade. Even prior to being a complete liability for us, he was a nasty scum of a player typical of the worst aspects of United.

I am not unbiased when considering his performances.

Nothing would please me more than for us to terminate his contract on Monday.

Even if it tipped us over a PSR edge and we got docked two points, it would still be less than he will go on to cost us this year.

Thing is, Young or Coleman could be ten times as good at defending as a kid like Dixon but it doesn't matter if their legs are gone- there's simply nothing you can do if the attacking players can just run away from you. You can't execute a perfect tackle if you're huffing and puffing ten yards behind them. So you might as well play the kid who can run.

Young and Coleman have enough experience to come on and do alright when team is winning 1-0 and just need to see the last 10-15 minutes out. Low block so hardly any ground to cover and just need to hold position.

Young actually showed that in the win v RS when he came on at half time for Myko.

Both are accidents waiting to happen in end to end games as today was.

I genuinely don't know what the actual plan at RB is now as seems hard to get another one in unless Patterson is shifted and dosen't feel likely anyone will come in with his injury record last 18 months.

Anyone know if O'Brien can play RB? Failing that we'll probably see Garner there when he's fit again (another CM must be signed in that scenario).

Genuinely struggle to say what he brings to the team. You'd think maybe in attacking areas or set pieces he'd maybe have something about him still but he's one of the bigger culprits for awful crosses in the team. Defensively he's targeted by every winger with even a little pace. I'd rather have an acadamy lad given his chance and make mistakes and hopefully improve than see this guy play make the same mistakes and only get worse. At this point I think even with mistakes fans would be happy to back anyone else but Young and what is likely to end up being Holgate stinking up the place.

Genuinely struggle to say what he brings to the team. You'd think maybe in attacking areas or set pieces he'd maybe have something about him still but he's one of the bigger culprits for awful crosses in the team. Defensively he's targeted by every winger with even a little pace. I'd rather have an acadamy lad given his chance and make mistakes and hopefully improve than see this guy play make the same mistakes and only get worse. At this point I think even with mistakes fans would be happy to back anyone else but Young and what is likely to end up being Holgate stinking up the place.
I totally agree mate but it's not his fault, what do you want him to say after he picked to play..... no dyche don't play me I'm finished. Its all on dyche.

It’s one thing being far too old to be able to chase athletes who are nearly 20 years younger than you around, he also didn’t pick himself. However, if you are being picked because of your “experience” the second you show the experience of a ten year old by blatantly pulling an attacker back as last man in front of the ref, in the all seeing age of VAR, then that is unforgivable to his teammates. Brighton, lauded for being a possession based team, and this braindead bell has given his mates even more running to do with an away trip at Spurs coming up next. Utter weapon.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.