Match Thread Aston Villa vs Everton. Saturday 14th August 12:30 KO

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As with the first game, signs of good stuff in some areas but absolutely barren of goal threat. Onana changed that, but we can't rely on a midfielder to score enough goals for us to stay up or have any kind of decent season. If we don't get some striker in, brace yourselves for the season ahead.

Good:
Patterson, both defensively and offensively
Onana, instantly improved us despite a shakey introduction
Iwobi, the only real source of delivery and passes forward
Tarkowski, very solid
Coady, also solid
Holgate, surprisingly did well but I think switched off for the 2nd

Bad:
Gray, Gordon, McNeil - These three cannot score a goal between them and struggled to hold the ball. They are deeply concerning me. Could sell them all and we wouldn't miss them. To say they need to improve would be a huge understatement.
Doucoure, horror show. Very, very poor.
Rondon, he just can't cut it. Its no surprise but he shouldn't still be here.
Fair assessment in my opinion, however I do think Holgate could have done more for the first goal too.

As long as we get Gana/Camara then the midfield should be sorted. Defence sorted/midfield sorted then get the attck sorted (I mean proper attacking player) then we have a chance of moving up into a comfortable position

Next 2 games are massive now. Should at least have Gana in by Forest, hopefully the forward too. If not Rondon can definitely and should start. If I were Lampard I’d take Forest and Brentford as the opportunity to build the confidence, get Onana on the ball and comfortable, make sure of clean sheets for the back 3 and hopefully allow the new forward to get any of those nerves or teething problems out of his system in a new team.

Get them fit and ready for the derby the week after. This 3 week stretch should be treated as one process for this team. Honestly though if we start building and get our targets in I couldn’t really care less about how the results go, if 0 points after 5 games gets us in a better position to end up with 50+ points then I’d take it. No point trying to grind out results this early in the season, build a team and build confidence and we’ll be far better off in the long run.

Now the dust has settled.... Like last week that for me. We could easily have 4 points on board but the bigger picture must be looked at. A fully fit squad and we will be ok. DCL would be sitting on at least 2 goals by now if not missing.

Onana looks a player and defensively we won't concede anywhere near the amount of last year. Patterson and Mykolenko are solid and will only get better.

Think Lampard got his team wrong, needed a focal point much earlier be it Rondon or Dele. The front 3 just too weak physically, Gordon tried his hardest and showed flashes, Gray was poor and McNeill needs to believe in himself much more, he showed have blasted that ball instead of passing, similar situation to his Kiev goal.

We just need to get at least 4 points from the Forest and Leeds game before the Derby.

Status
Not open for further replies.