Transfer Rumour Axel Witsel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone capable of shadowing Bale? We have that already:

Just kidding though lad. Witsels a great player, a proper centre midfielder, not a holding like McCarthy and Barry. Hopefully Cleverley, McCarthy can leave and Barry can be taken out of the first team slowly with him here. Our midfield looking like this would be the stuff of dreams:

Witsel, Mata, Barkley, Besic, Gibson, Barry, one or two of the youth (Davies and Dowell)

EDIT: Hopefully Gibsons been signed just to sell for a greater price later on, so the youth are given more of a chance.

Think myself that both McCarthy and Cleverley will be shipped out, Barry becoming almost a backup to the first team and Gibson maybe kept around the squad but not really featuring, Besic is the one i have no clue on, could feature a fair bit or could be shipped out on loan to get more experience and game time.

Think in addition to the ones you have stated we will bring in another very good quality centre mid btw, strootman or someone of a similar calibre

Mane, Forster, Tadic, VVD at Southampton

Looking through his past clubs he's never had any money to spend, Southampton is the first time he's spent a lot of cash

He did spend 6.5m on Kone though

Tadic and mane are woefully inconsistent.

Just vvd and forster for me.

Think myself that both McCarthy and Cleverley will be shipped out, Barry becoming almost a backup to the first team and Gibson maybe kept around the squad but not really featuring, Besic is the one i have no clue on, could feature a fair bit or could be shipped out on loan to get more experience and game time.

Think in addition to the ones you have stated we will bring in another very good quality centre mid btw, strootman or someone of a similar calibre

Koeman always has his sides press up the pitch. I cant see barry doing that.

I was impressed with Witsel last night. Kept possession in tight situations, never gave the ball away and always found a team mate with his passes. Also, won every aerial duel.

He didn't offer much in an attacking sense, but Belgium seemed over-reliant on just giving the ball to Hazard to run at the Welsh defence and see what happens. He was also clearly tasked to keep an eye on Bale, who he kept very quiet, which would have affected his contribution in attack.

I think he'd be a great buy for us.

He's no more of a 'leader' than McCarthy is mate.

He's not exactly known for his aerial ability either - a good header against Ireland like but not renowned for it.

Better range of passing and better on the ball - probably a more 'dominant' player as well.

McCarthy is very good at breaking up play and keeping the ball moving - so if he played alongside a player with the ability of Witsel I think they could form a real partnership. We'll see.

Only part i disagree with is on aerial ability mate, Witsel is very good in the air

Tadic and mane are woefully inconsistent.

Just vvd and forster for me.

Tadic numbers are actually very good and I think would be perfect for us. Watch out for him having a great season next year.

Most Southampton players will be very overpriced for us as there will understandably be a premium after we took their manager. I rate all of the above but we should be cautious recruiting from them.

Tadic numbers are actually very good and I think would be perfect for us. Watch out for him having a great season next year.

Most Southampton players will be very overpriced for us as there will understandably be a premium after we took their manager. I rate all of the above but we should be cautious recruiting from them.

What are his numbers roughly? Seemed awful against us and up and down whenever ive seen him (limited viewing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back