Back up keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.
We actually have a pretty decent 16 year old keeper, American born Nicholas Defreitas-Hansen. Well he’s decent for a 16 year old and has played up an age but impossible to tell how good he’ll be . Certainly nowhere near being even our 3rd choice keeper. The problem with young GKs in England is that U23s is not competitive enough and it can be a struggle to get them a loan even in lower leagues if they are young and unproven.

We have already spoke to his agency....which also has another top kid in that league. Not sure who, thats all ive heard.

Likely he’d go in the u18s then u23s followed by a loan out. That’s if he’s good enough of course. Coleman didn’t get into our first team till he was around 22/23 maybe older?

Likely he’d go in the u18s then u23s followed by a loan out. That’s if he’s good enough of course. Coleman didn’t get into our first team till he was around 22/23 maybe older?
Coleman got into our team because Moyes literally had no one else, Hibbert, Neville and a few others were injured, he made the bench against Spurs and came on, turned the game around and the rest is history.

I think we all agree we need a good back up Keeper.

I mean Pickford cant be expected to NEVER get injured or pick up a suspension and NOBODY wants to see Stek in goal again, when was the last time he played? Feels like AGES, just imagine how utterly terrible he would be.

41 GK Mateusz Hewelt Poland 23 September 1996 (age 21)
56 GK Chris Renshaw England 26 September 1997 (age 20)
65 GK Joe Hilton England 11 October 1999 (age 18)
— GK Nicolas Hansen United States 10 July 2001 (age 16)
— GK Tom Murphy Republic of Ireland —

These are the lads we got in the U23s, not a single clue on any of them, be interested to see if any of them are brought into the first team set up or whether we go for a yoot from elsewhere or ya Lee Grant type of signing like United just made

Best backup we've had at keeper in some time. I am glad he moved on. He needs to be competing for a starting place. Never gonna happen with the kind of money we spent on young Jordan.

..to be honest, I got the impression he was very happy here and was content being back-up but I might be wrong.

..to be honest, I got the impression he was very happy here and was content being back-up but I might be wrong.

He's 28 now I would have to think he realized that the club moved on from him when we signed Pickford for big money. He had to be thinking that he was the heir apparent to Howard his first couple of seasons.

I wish him the best. Never rocked the boat...never had a bad word towards Everton...never sulked. He probably should have started for us to be honest.

It'll be stek. Doubt this will be a priority. We are not in Europe so other than Cup ties against teams Lower down the leagues Pickford will play pretty much every game. Lad just needs a rest after World Cup. Probably not play pre season until Valencia.

With how good Jordan is, the only backup keeper worthy of the title "Backup Keeper to Pickford" is rightfully Buffon.

Status
Not open for further replies.