Baines: The midfielder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are being too hard on yourself ijjy. On many occasions your analysis is spot on. On this one?...perhaps not so much

Hasn't that already happened, pretty sure Oviedo played ahead of Baines on the wing in a game around Christmas.

Could be making that up though, I have had a few ales

Was Oviedo brought on in front of Baines at West Ham away. I was at that match and I was a bit smashed, so can't remember for certain..

personally I dont think lahm should be playing midfield and neither should baines, his skill set and pyhsical attributes are quite specific to a full back, not saying he couldn't do a job there, but like lahm, he is better elsewhere. With the best will in the world he also not as good a footballer as Lahm, personally I think schweinsteiger and martinez were the best cm partnership in the world last year, as good as lahms been, they shouldnt be broken up, but them pep is a tit

Wow - what a prospect - Baines as defensive midfielder, plus his set piece expertise and Oviedo to take the LB spot - conceptually brilliant...

personally I dont think lahm should be playing midfield and neither should baines, his skill set and pyhsical attributes are quite specific to a full back, not saying he couldn't do a job there, but like lahm, he is better elsewhere. With the best will in the world he also not as good a footballer as Lahm, personally I think schweinsteiger and martinez were the best cm partnership in the world last year, as good as lahms been, they shouldnt be broken up, but them pep is a tit

Agreed

Does sound strange to suggest that you play the best left back in the league out of position.

And were it not for the brilliance of Oviedo I'd be totally against it. But I suppose we could give it a try. I suspect he'd score a few screamers.

tbf to roberto he thinks of things that the majority of us wouldn't.

i'd never have pictured something like this myself, if baines' passing vs fulham in the first half was anything to go by i'd say no chance, but we know how good he is. personally i think his passing could be too goood for that position, but it is a great indicator of our manager's thinking outside the box.

Or the PL's best left back dhould stay at left back. Just cos Lahm did it doesnt mean everyone should.

If we needed to, putting him at CM wouldn't be the end of the world but for the time being there's no way he'd usurp Barry and McCarthy.

Got no qualms about giving it a whirl though, I'm all for playing your best XI players and then fitting a system around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back