Baines: The midfielder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does sound strange to suggest that you play the best left back in the league out of position.

And were it not for the brilliance of Oviedo I'd be totally against it. But I suppose we could give it a try. I suspect he'd score a few screamers.

Not advocating it mate, but Bayern even before this season have played lahm out of position for most of his career at left back

As I said previously in this thread, I'd rather see Baines at LB, BUT, I've always thought he's looked pretty calm on the ball and he's a got a good pass on him, so I can kind of imagine him in the "Pirlo" role.. Might sounds totally daft but hey, it's my opinion! :dance:

personally I dont think lahm should be playing midfield and neither should baines, his skill set and pyhsical attributes are quite specific to a full back, not saying he couldn't do a job there, but like lahm, he is better elsewhere. With the best will in the world he also not as good a footballer as Lahm, personally I think schweinsteiger and martinez were the best cm partnership in the world last year, as good as lahms been, they shouldnt be broken up, but them pep is a tit

funny how then, even with Peps changes they have won the league earlier than any other time in history and seem to be scoring just as freely.

Then again if you are calling one of the seemingly most likeable blokes in football a "tit" it would suggest youre a bit biased.

As for Baines I think he gets lost a bit in certain systems...if we dont replicate certain game situations for him to shine he struggles although i cant explain why he seems to have cut down on those surging runs forward with the ball. If Stones can try a few surely Leighton can. No idea if he would do well in cm but I'm happy at where Martinez gets his ideas and influences in football from. Progressive and positive...what a change.

funny how then, even with Peps changes they have won the league earlier than any other time in history and seem to be scoring just as freely.

Then again if you are calling one of the seemingly most likeable blokes in football a "tit" it would suggest youre a bit biased.

As for Baines I think he gets lost a bit in certain systems...if we dont replicate certain game situations for him to shine he struggles although i cant explain why he seems to have cut down on those surging runs forward with the ball. If Stones can try a few surely Leighton can. No idea if he would do well in cm but I'm happy at where Martinez gets his ideas and influences in football from. Progressive and positive...what a change.
Yeah he boss with other people's foundations like, then turning them into a cynical turgid side, very effective and very dull, shooting is below the great pep, strikers are an unruley mess and not needed in his ivory tower

Yeah he boss with other people's foundations like, then turning them into a cynical turgid side, very effective and very dull, shooting is below the great pep, strikers are an unruley mess and not needed in his ivory tower

haha well thats just a rant with a multitude of ott criticisms :)

Most managers build on foundations, its a simplistic dismissal of what he did with a club that was an up and down mess more than it was great when he arrived.

Dunno why he chose Bayern though. Im a huge fan but I dont do bias so Ill say I have no idea if it was because it was easy or because he thought it suited what he wanted to do.

Love that Martinez is a big fan of what he has done in football, but even better that he has his own ideas too.

Baines is brilliant, there is nothing to suggest he wouldn't do well as CDM. He's got the brains and the skill set.

Whether he can do or it or not I think it's excellent man management by Roberto. Taking a player who has reached the heights of his posistion and telling/showing him there's still more to come and other roles to play as he ages must help with keeping that disire and enthusiasm to not rest on you laurels. (Not saying Baines would like but..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back