Beer, revisited

Really sad to hear that Paddy is retiring from the Pen Factory (I know @tommye will agree), but I was relieved to hear that Dom and Fiona are taking over.

A brilliant man, with a fantastic eye for detail and expectations. I remember telling him in an off-the-cuff remark that I was travelling up north and would get a pie.

When he heard the name of the bakery, I was given detailed orders to buy certain ones for him because he wanted to try them in the Everyman.

`A few weeks later, they were on the menu after I found he was doing round-trips to collect them - absolutely marking and definitely not cost-efficient.

But it was always the best with Paddy.
Be interesting to see what Dom does with the Kitchen as his pubs predominantly don't do food which is a big part of the Pens offering.

Personally think he'll shoot himself in the foot if he gets rid because I reckon the clientele is 50% Food 50% Ale.

Be interesting to see what Dom does with the Kitchen as his pubs predominantly don't do food which is a big part of the Pens offering.

Personally think he'll shoot himself in the foot if he gets rid because I reckon the clientele is 50% Food 50% Ale.
It would be foolhardy because, as. you say, the Pen is known for its food as much as its ale, and the combination of the two is part of its success.

I know they're keeping the staff on, so in the short-term it will likely run as normal. In the long term, the loss of Paddy and his knowledge may be a hurdle.

Hopefully, they entrust someone to do that side of the business who has been under Paddy's wing.

Anyone been to Black Cat on Rose Lane yet?

Ale is decent enough...it's not kept very well but a decent enough addition to the South end.
I actually went last week for one; the ale was alright, but nothing special. I've heard a rumour about the Rose's long-term future, which could be interesting.

It would be foolhardy because, as. you say, the Pen is known for its food as much as its ale, and the combination of the two is part of its success.

I know they're keeping the staff on, so in the short-term it will likely run as normal. In the long term, the loss of Paddy and his knowledge may be a hurdle.

Hopefully, they entrust someone to do that side of the business who has been under Paddy's wing.

I actually went last week for one; the ale was alright, but nothing special. I've heard a rumour about the Rose's long-term future, which could be interesting.

The place has a huge kitchen and they’ve said the staff are staying on so I think that tells us that that’ll be there . Both the fly & Rigbys did food back in the day so it’s not like they haven’t done it before , I think you’ll see a blend of what they already have in place there combined with what we see from the bridewell & Denbigh .

Things change in business but they’ve done really well with the previous two so im expecting more of the same , that area is flying at the moment so it’ll be a welcome addition I reckon .

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back