Bellamy almost signing for us in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mercurial players tend to be strong/difficult personalities - Cantona, Gazza, Ronaldo, Balotelli, Drenthe, Di Canio even Rooney you need a manager like Venables, Redknapp, Ferguson who can charm as well as be dictatorial.

It's never been in Moyes locker hence he buys "good eggs" - fine for steady top half of the table but without the devil that winners have - result is tumbleweed in the trophy room.

And that is why i believe he will struggle at United
He will have to manage some big egos and personalities which I fear he is not upto

Mercurial players tend to be strong/difficult personalities - Cantona, Gazza, Ronaldo, Balotelli, Drenthe, Di Canio even Rooney you need a manager like Venables, Redknapp, Ferguson who can charm as well as be dictatorial.

It's never been in Moyes locker hence he buys "good eggs" - fine for steady top half of the table but without the devil that winners have - result is tumbleweed in the trophy room.

Seriously? Moyes is a great man manager, after his transfers, building a decent team morale is what he is most famous for, even with players that have crossed lines or fallen out with him.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2013/02/17/3758509/drenthe-everton-boss-moyes-saved-my-career

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/10/david-moyes-everton-marouane-fellaini

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ebe-says-David-Moyes-nightmare-work-with.html

Amongst plenty of others:

Not to mention those that praise him and his style that aren't fighting him, most importantnly of course, those that have left the club and have no need to lie, Arteta, Cahill etc

Cahill:

http://www.redbull.com.au/cs/Satell...nd-his-New-York-State-of-Mind-021243344986266

"He signed me, he basically was a father figure in the fact that we spent eight, nine years together and everything on and off the park was so important to both of us," says Tim, shortly after recording an official video statement in the bowels of the 25,000 capacity stadium. "I'd run through brick walls for him, and I still would. He's someone that I still talk to regularly, we text, and we texted again today after him getting the job.

"I wish him all the best. I'm so happy, so proud, no words can express. If anyone deserved that job it was him, and it's a pretty special day for him and his family but a pretty sad day for Everton, because he'll never be replaced."

Ego players or not, Moyes is normally right in the way he treats people and respected by the players that work with him. Won't take long for United players to realise he will take no s**t but be there for them, its what he does. If not, they will be out and he'll buy someone that will be as good but fit in the group better.

Seriously? Moyes is a great man manager, after his transfers, building a decent team morale is what he is most famous for, even with players that have crossed lines or fallen out with him.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2013/02/17/3758509/drenthe-everton-boss-moyes-saved-my-career

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/10/david-moyes-everton-marouane-fellaini

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ebe-says-David-Moyes-nightmare-work-with.html

Amongst plenty of others:

Not to mention those that praise him and his style that aren't fighting him, most importantnly of course, those that have left the club and have no need to lie, Arteta, Cahill etc

Cahill:

http://www.redbull.com.au/cs/Satell...nd-his-New-York-State-of-Mind-021243344986266

"He signed me, he basically was a father figure in the fact that we spent eight, nine years together and everything on and off the park was so important to both of us," says Tim, shortly after recording an official video statement in the bowels of the 25,000 capacity stadium. "I'd run through brick walls for him, and I still would. He's someone that I still talk to regularly, we text, and we texted again today after him getting the job.

"I wish him all the best. I'm so happy, so proud, no words can express. If anyone deserved that job it was him, and it's a pretty special day for him and his family but a pretty sad day for Everton, because he'll never be replaced."

Ego players or not, Moyes is normally right in the way he treats people and respected by the players that work with him. Won't take long for United players to realise he will take no s**t but be there for them, its what he does. If not, they will be out and he'll buy someone that will be as good but fit in the group better.

Mate I concede the Drenthe piece after reading the article (good spot, good read) I would guess - and I admit it's only a guess - the lad only twigged when he was shipped out and realisation dawned he was at a cross roads and Moyes booting him up the arris had done him a favour.

But imo we needed Drenno - I really rate him - and while I can see Moyes reasons if he'd taken the broader view and resigned the "new model" Drenno I feel sure we would have benefited which is really my point he has a singularly inflexible approach which means "good eggs" only.

Of the others you mention I wouldn't class any of them in the bracket we're talking in fact Cahill, Arteta, Felli seem as decent and sensible as they come.

Just saying like.

Last edited:
Would have loved him at Goodison, I also read, paraphrasing here 'if i signed for Everton I would have been there a long time I know for sure'.

Great player, with an iffy attitude but not too different to Rooney, a little **** but no were near a 'Suarez'

Mate I concede the Drenthe piece after reading the article (good spot, good read) I would guess - and I admit it's only a guess - the lad only twigged when he was shipped out and realisation dawned he was at a cross roads and Moyes booting him up the arris had done him a favour.

But imo we needed Drenno - I really rate him - and while I can see Moyes reasons if he'd taken the broader view and resigned the "new model" Drenno I feel sure we would have benefited which is really my point he has a singularly inflexible approach which means "good eggs" only.

Of the others you mention I wouldn't class any of them in the bracket we're talking in fact Cahill, Arteta, Felli seem as decent and sensible as they come.

Just saying like.

You seem more chilled of late mate. Yeah the section with Cahill etc is exactly that, the ones that Moyes has bought in, havn't been loons or disruptive and will tell you how massive an influence Moyes has been on them.

In answer to your post, if you were at United, surely you would rather top class players that don't cause rifts, Aguero, Hazzard, RVP and the likes... than top class players that are a problem, Suarez, Ballotelli and so on.
At the top end, Moyes ability to differentiate the two is as important as his ability to choose the right player for the position.

Someone who doubts everything and spreads that feeling of doubt in the dressing room, regardless of talent, can lose you the league. Its often better to have a similar but maybe slightly lesser quality player that will work harder for the team and not drain the morale of those around you.

Personally I don't see not tolerating bad eggs as a bad thing, and I think his ability to make players work hard has been proven time and time again. He is a good man manager.

As for Drenthe, he only twigged after he left, but I think he would of been utterly destroyed as a player if Moyes had taken the softly softly approach. The lad is mental and whilst if we got him back now he would probably be a quality signing for us as he has properly thought about things to himself by the sounds of it, at the time he was off his rocker and simply not listening to anyone or anything. That's not ego, that's being mental.
Players like that destroy the dressing room atmosphere and drag players down around them.

End of the day, Moyes got rid of Drenthe and whilst it took a while to get the funds together, he replaced him with Mirallas.. Similar style of player.. not a tw@. Works for me.

From what I have read... Moyes will be friend and advisor to anyone who works hard, but can't tolerate slackers or people that cause instability in the squad. Its a good thing for a football club. I think that will be an essential thing at United.

You seem more chilled of late mate. Yeah the section with Cahill etc is exactly that, the ones that Moyes has bought in, havn't been loons or disruptive and will tell you how massive an influence Moyes has been on them.

In answer to your post, if you were at United, surely you would rather top class players that don't cause rifts, Aguero, Hazzard, RVP and the likes... than top class players that are a problem, Suarez, Ballotelli and so on.
At the top end, Moyes ability to differentiate the two is as important as his ability to choose the right player for the position.

Someone who doubts everything and spreads that feeling of doubt in the dressing room, regardless of talent, can lose you the league. Its often better to have a similar but maybe slightly lesser quality player that will work harder for the team and not drain the morale of those around you.

Personally I don't see not tolerating bad eggs as a bad thing, and I think his ability to make players work hard has been proven time and time again. He is a good man manager.

As for Drenthe, he only twigged after he left, but I think he would of been utterly destroyed as a player if Moyes had taken the softly softly approach. The lad is mental and whilst if we got him back now he would probably be a quality signing for us as he has properly thought about things to himself by the sounds of it, at the time he was off his rocker and simply not listening to anyone or anything. That's not ego, that's being mental.
Players like that destroy the dressing room atmosphere and drag players down around them.

End of the day, Moyes got rid of Drenthe and whilst it took a while to get the funds together, he replaced him with Mirallas.. Similar style of player.. not a tw@. Works for me.

From what I have read... Moyes will be friend and advisor to anyone who works hard, but can't tolerate slackers or people that cause instability in the squad. Its a good thing for a football club. I think that will be an essential thing at United.

Fair dos, it's unarguable good players with good character is the way to go all else being equal, personally I reckon Drenno and Bellamy would have made a positive difference but we'll never know now.

As for chilling mate we may have polar opinions of Moyes but you delivered a fair well written reply - always gets respect from me - most of the stuff regarding EFC we're all guessing about so when I'm actually proven wrong (as you did) that's fine by me (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back