Ben Foster on Everton fan negativity influencing opposition tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, bravely risking hammer from a 360° of viewpoints, I've got to say that everyone is right:-

EVERTON FAN - We've endured years and years of rubbish, and we've paid good money to watch this garbage. All this time we've seen fortunes paid for manifestly poor players, who are so bad that they can't even get selected for this poor and injury-ravaged team. On top of that, there are a host of high earners who are permanently injured, and the players who do make it onto the pitch wet themselves every time the ball comes near them, and make endless poor decisions, with a fair number of tragi-comic ones. The cherry on the cake is that a lot of them come off after yet another defeat without their shirts looking particularly wet. Is it any wonder that I have a short fuse when I see the same poor team selection, the same mistakes made, and the same apparent lack of effort?

EVERTON PLAYER - I didn't buy myself for this club, fail to replace myself when I'm clearly too old/not good enough, and I don't select myself for the team (not that there's anyone much better being left out for me ). I do my level best, even if I'm actually not up to this standard any more/ever. The endless tactical, managerial, and team composition changes mean that I've lost all track of whether I should be going forward , back, inside, or outside, so sometimes I just stand still, or set off a second or two late, which makes me look slow and /or not bothered. My confidence is low because of results, and if I make a couple of errors with forward passes, the fans give me so much grief that I make a few back and sideways ones for safety, which gets me even more fan abuse.

I know very well that we're not good enough to concede needless goals, so I start off the game already twitchy. When I get a dog's abuse from the fans after my first nervous defensive error, I start second and third guessing myself, which just results in me making more mistakes in a vicious circle of error and abuse. I really hope i get dropped for the next game.

I think both of those viewpoints are simultaneously valid, sorry. (I'm also sorry if there are a load of typo errors in here, but I'm having a migraine, and can't see the screen properly).

Yeah, I'm not buying it. The fans live for Everton Football Club. These players are making hand over fist and a few insults from the fans is why this team has been spiraling out of control? The fans deserve better. UTFT

To be fair we played Brentford and in the end won quite comfortably, now I did not go that match, want to make that clear, but I swear watching it on a stream, all's i could hear in the first half especially was Brentford fans slagging our support off, we were very quiet. Been quite a few matches and often hear away fans singing " is this a library, to which we reply "shush". Our fans don't sing a lot of songs and to my experience only get vocal when the referee wrongs us, or bad
tackles fly in, then it becomes a bearpit.

I’m struggling to think of a single game this season in which the team has started off on the front foot, dominating possession, being aggressive. Instead it’s been very passive, letting the opposition dictate the tempo of the game and it’s no wonder the fans get restless. If any team wants to get its fans onside play with a bit of passion and desire, it’s surely not much to ask.

He's absolutely bang on. The fans are the club's own worst enemy. This reputation will inhibit signings.
I think the ‘average’ fan has been stunned into silence, watching on in disbelief as this team gradually sink lower and lower into the abyss. When my dad & I had season tickets in the 80’s and 90’s, we used to turn up expecting Everton to win. I never went through the turnstiles thinking “we’ve got no chance today”. Sad times.

Sniff it you entitled ferrets. You’re worse to Everton than kopites ever were. Go and get therapy for your anger and/or impotence.
I think we should replace the half-time cross bar challenge with 'hang the angry Evertonians off the crossbar'* challenge - rid the club of some angry heads.

*This is a joke before the head wobblers start crying.

Can I propose Tom Davies dressed as the executioner for this great progressive idea.
Tom Davies will grind down the Street End steps throwing toffees and chorizo bites at those to be taken to the Park End gallows.

Kenwright have asked for the legends from the cast of Corrie such as Kev and Ken to come along and help present the half-time show.

To be honest the atmosphere wasn't that great at most games, when we were doing great under Martinez, I think under Moyes we played a style of football, that got the fans up for games. City fans and the RS have witnessed great teams, yet are still useless at supporting their side. I think football is pretty useless, in that it builds you up for a great match and you always end up dissapointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back