Best city on earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was over there on holiday when they were building it, they said it was being built at a rate of 2 floors a day

...actually took the lift up to the outdoor observation platform, only about 2/3 up but amazing to be near the top of the worlds biggest building. We stayed once in the Dusit Thani and my daughter's room had a window next to her bed which framed the Burge, she slept with the curtains and blinds open. It really is stunning.

I don't want cockneys or wannabe jarg yuppies in a city though mate.

Or people who would accept Boris Johnson as their mayor for more than seven earth minutes.

I would very much like Liverpool to detach itself from London and the beauts that inhabit it.
The cockneys and yuppies aren't the problem. It's the influx of screaming Asians who live in council flats yet can somehow afford to drive around in Maserati Quattroportes and Maybachs that are the problem.

*runs away before inevitable debate starts*

Bold to call it a city though! Its barely 2 roads! Absolutely wonderful place though.

I was there about a year ago and I agree, it's fantastic. We travelled further north to nong khiaw (sp) and the owner of our apartment said we should book any tours through him as all the others were owned by folk from the big bad impersonal city of luang prabang!

If I won Lotto, I would make my European base Barcelona...and every two weeks would fly from there to John Lennon airport to attend Goodison
haha I've always said this, well actually barcelona would be my european base,

I'd have a hong kong headquarters

and I'd need somewhere in south america too, bogota or rio or somewhere I reckon

Been to Barcelona three times now and it gets worse every time in terms of crime. Great place but having to be constantly on guard for pickpockets, muggers and scammers saps all the joy from the place. The utterly uninterested cops don't help either.

Bit of political correctness I think as most of the crims are Arab so people don't want to look racist. But in all seriousness the place is a bit of a cesspool and getting worse with every year.

Been to Barcelona three times now and it gets worse every time in terms of crime. Great place but having to be constantly on guard for pickpockets, muggers and scammers saps all the joy from the place. The utterly uninterested cops don't help either.

Bit of political correctness I think as most of the crims are Arab so people don't want to look racist. But in all seriousness the place is a bit of a cesspool and getting worse with every year.

Have you been a victim of crime there then?

Got mugged on Diagonal when I went. Stupidly I chased them down and managed to get my wallet back minus about €20, so not the end of the world but it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

I think I need to go back to Barcelona with the wife - I went when I was 22 with some uni mates, it went a bit sour with them on the trip and none of us came home in a particularly good mood. Has rather shaded my impression of the place for the worse, and I need to see it again to redress that.

Have you been a victim of crime there then?

Attempted pickpocketing is a crime so yes. Also nearly had my phone swiped by some 'charity' collectors. All three times at least one person in my group has had something robbed.

Last time my mate felt a hand and the pickpocket got a fearful beating, head smashed against the floor, boot the bollocks, kick to the teeth...the full Monty. One instance where police apathy was advantageous, one saw it, asked what was going on and when informed the half dead bloke was a pickpocket he shrugged and walked away.

Attempted pickpocketing is a crime so yes. Also nearly had my phone swiped by some 'charity' collectors. All three times at least one person in my group has had something robbed.

Last time my mate felt a hand and the pickpocket got a fearful beating, head smashed against the floor, boot the bollocks, kick to the teeth...the full Monty. One instance where police apathy was advantageous, one saw it, asked what was going on and when informed the half dead bloke was a pickpocket he shrugged and walked away.
So you actually were the one committing a crime there then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back