Best city on earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this argument with large head, when people say New York they generally mean Manhattan don't they, I didn't think much of New York, food and people are fantastic though.

I've seen MOMA, Times Square etc. did a bus tour around Harlem and was like ' meh'. It's loved by millions tho, so I know I'm in the minority.

I've had this argument with large head, when people say New York they generally mean Manhattan don't they, I didn't think much of New York, food and people are fantastic though.

I've seen MOMA, Times Square etc. did a bus tour around Harlem and was like ' meh'. It's loved by millions tho, so I know I'm in the minority.

You're probably right...but Manhattan is boss. Queens and Brooklyn both have some good stuff. Can't say I've ever been to Staten Island...I think that's where the wools are.

Did not like Barcelona. All of those outdoor restaurants were crap. Nou Camp was great, but the constant fear of pickpockets was drilled into me by the tour guides to the point where I thought everyone was a suspect.
I got pickpocketed in Barcelona two years ago getting on the train to Montserrat but I felt him and grabbed him and had him on the ground
Nobody helped
Got my wallet back
My wife on the train wondered what had delayed me

Can't get my head round people saying Liverpool is the best city on earth. My family is from Liverpool and I went to uni there. I've had more than enough experience of the place, and its pretty ropey to be fair. Couple of decent buildings round the docks, but mostly its just shops.

You're probably right...but Manhattan is boss. Queens and Brooklyn both have some good stuff. Can't say I've ever been to Staten Island...I think that's where the wools are.
Got the freebie orange boat across to there I think. It's cold, that's all i remember about Manhattan.

Its tough to choose just one, so some of me favs are,
Liverpool, Im born and bred, still yet to come across somewhere with such genuine warmth, humour and theres a nice vibe to the place, not to hectic of a place too, not to big not to small,
Singapore, had 2 days there on my way back from australia to break the journey up, wish i had a few more days there, boss place and incredible shopping,
Perth, love the lifestyle of western australia, some many cultures knocking about too,
Most german citys ive been to our awesome too, love that country,

Some of my dissapointments were,

London, mainly its the people, there all fur coat no knickers types, bloody expensive too,
New york, just a bit too hectic for me, people who wouldnt give you the time of day, felt uncomfortable there,
Miami, so bloody humid and crawling with people just up there own arses

On my list to try are

San francisco,
Chicago
Budapest,
Chicago is fantastic mate

Can't get my head round people saying Liverpool is the best city on earth. My family is from Liverpool and I went to uni there. I've had more than enough experience of the place, and its pretty ropey to be fair. Couple of decent buildings round the docks, but mostly its just shops.

I think people just feel obliged to say it because of their heritage, I wouldn't say Liverpool was boss in the same sense as Paris, Tokyo or Rome is, it's not even close.

A slave trade and a band with dodgy hair cuts is what has made us famous.

*hopes to offend all scousers

I reckon to be honest, when most people say a city, they mean the touristy theme park part of the city that none of the locals go within a mile of. Was talking about this with the missus the other day when discussing Prague. Obviously Old Town and all that is lovely, and very pretty, but we were staying with a friend of hers once and it was proper Jason Bourne stuff. A right communist era apartment building. Bugger all anywhere nearby. Really not good at all.

London is the same. Never go near the touristy stuff, but in terms of the cultural, intellectual, professional opportunities the place offers, it really is hard to beat.

All of it man, including Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island. NYC baby.

All the wee neighbourhoods and weird things going on, the history and feel of the place. The food, the people, the spirit of the city. It's subjective like as it's due to our tastes and experiences in that exact moment that we've visited the place.

But ultimately I'm right and you're dead wrong. If you can't love NYC then you're a miserable nugget.

All of it man, including Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island. NYC baby.

All the wee neighbourhoods and weird things going on, the history and feel of the place. The food, the people, the spirit of the city. It's subjective like as it's due to our tastes and experiences in that exact moment that we've visited the place.

But ultimately I'm right and you're dead wrong. If you can't love NYC then you're a miserable nugget.

I say shut you say up

SHUT...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back