Best city on earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sydney has to be up there. Everything you want in a major city with quality beaches up and down the coast.
Lived in Manly for 4 months on my travels, it was great living there. Took a trip into the city and actually found it really hectic and hopped the ferry back to Manly for some peace and quiet!

Did eventually move into the city and it is a great place. Didn't think much of Bondi beach though, too crowded, pain to get to, and you have to pass through Kings Cross to get there.

I reckon to be honest, when most people say a city, they mean the touristy theme park part of the city that none of the locals go within a mile of. Was talking about this with the missus the other day when discussing Prague. Obviously Old Town and all that is lovely, and very pretty, but we were staying with a friend of hers once and it was proper Jason Bourne stuff. A right communist era apartment building. Bugger all anywhere nearby. Really not good at all.

London is the same. Never go near the touristy stuff, but in terms of the cultural, intellectual, professional opportunities the place offers, it really is hard to beat.

Why did the BBC move to Manchester, mate.

It is jam packed full of ignorant beauts. SWERVE.
I work in the city and on Mon-Fri it is packed with like-minded people - they just want to get there, do their job, and get out. They're not ignorant, they're just commuting.

But I went back on Sunday with the kids, and its a completely different place. Jam packed full of spacially-unaware morons dragging their suitcases around, wearing hideous clothing (think the Lampoons when they hit Milan) and proper getting in your way. I expect this is the London most tourists see.

Lived in Manly for 4 months on my travels, it was great living there. Took a trip into the city and actually found it really hectic and hopped the ferry back to Manly for some peace and quiet!

Did eventually move into the city and it is a great place. Didn't think much of Bondi beach though, too crowded, pain to get to, and you have to pass through Kings Cross to get there.

Manly is lovely, I went as far up as Gosford which is really nice and Palm Beach (Home and away) and the northern beaches are a lot better and less crowded. Everyone flocks to Bondi and Coogee which is the problem. You are right getting to Bondi Junction and then Bondi itself is a pain and its full of posers. Still a brilliant beach though.

Yeah the city is hectic especially George St, but I lived in Glebe a 30 minute walk or 10 minute bus ride to the city and it was quality. Boss restaurants, cafe's and bars.

Manly is lovely, I went as far up as Gosford which is really nice and Palm Beach (Home and away) and the northern beaches are a lot better and less crowded. Everyone flocks to Bondi and Coogee which is the problem. You are right getting to Bondi Junction and then Bondi itself is a pain and its full of posers. Still a brilliant beach though.

Yeah the city is hectic especially George St, but I lived in Glebe a 30 minute walk or 10 minute bus ride to the city and it was quality. Boss restaurants, cafe's and bars.
Yeah, I spent a few weeks in Glebe and Balmain too (struck lucky, workmate needed someone to take last 6 weeks of her rent so she could move elsewhere, so I got to live in a lovely house overlooking the ANZAC Bridge), totally different to the rest of Sydney.

Commuting to work via ferry is unbeatable too.

Yeah, I spent a few weeks in Glebe and Balmain too (struck lucky, workmate needed someone to take last 6 weeks of her rent so she could move elsewhere, so I got to live in a lovely house overlooking the ANZAC Bridge), totally different to the rest of Sydney.

Commuting to work via ferry is unbeatable too.

Great area Glebe isn't it, quite historic too. My local was the Toxteth of all places haha.

Was you down by one of the bays then or in Balmain istelf?

I can imagine it to be cool going by ferry to work, Brisbane is a great city for that. Great going down the Brisbane river in lovely weather.

RE: whoever asked about Paris, just go to the Louvre. It's absolutely brilliant. Anything else pales in significance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back