Best Everton Centre Back pairing and best individual Centre Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryefc

Player Valuation: £8m
Tarky and Branthwaite have been great for us - and Branthwaite has the potential to become a true great - but who would you rate as the best Centre Back pairing for us?
I think Labby and Hurst just shade it for me from Rats and Degsy.
Best individual CH is a tough one - I loved Gough - but has to be Brian Labone for me.

….i’m old and have pretty much seen them all since 1960 and I declared some time ago that John Stones was the best individual I’d seen but I’d actually put Branthwaite ahead at this stage. I think Branthwaite edges it on attitude and application.

As for partnerships, Ratcliffe/Mountfield, Ratcliffe/Watson were terrific but I’d probably go with Labone/Hurst as much for the quality of striker they were consistently up against in their era. Like Mountfield, Hurst contributed vital goals in a title winning side and had the pedigree of being striker in the ‘65 FA Youth Cup winning team.

Agree with all the names called out above, we've been blessed at Goodison with some of the best centre halfs in the land throughout the years, One thing I don't understand though is how Dunk has pulled an England shirt on this year and Tarkowski hasn't. If Southgate has picked Branthwaite for the squad then surely it goes hand in hand to anyone with a football brain that Tarkowski has to be there too. It is a partnership.
Branthwaite is fabulous, no argument, however how good would he be now if he was swiching partners week in week out for Holgate, Keane etc.
I argue Branthwaite is only as good as he is at this point because of the colossus he has next to him. With the way we play inviting teams on to us those 2 have been worked harder than most pairings in the league, keeping them in the limelight. A lot of that success is down to Tarks, quickly becoming one of my fave centre backs of all time. Ridiculous he's overlooked. Those 2 would make England water tight yet it won't happen.

Agree with all the names called out above, we've been blessed at Goodison with some of the best centre halfs in the land throughout the years, One thing I don't understand though is how Dunk has pulled an England shirt on this year and Tarkowski hasn't. If Southgate has picked Branthwaite for the squad then surely it goes hand in hand to anyone with a football brain that Tarkowski has to be there too. It is a partnership.
Branthwaite is fabulous, no argument, however how good would he be now if he was swiching partners week in week out for Holgate, Keane etc.
I argue Branthwaite is only as good as he is at this point because of the colossus he has next to him. With the way we play inviting teams on to us those 2 have been worked harder than most pairings in the league, keeping them in the limelight. A lot of that success is down to Tarks, quickly becoming one of my fave centre backs of all time. Ridiculous he's overlooked. Those 2 would make England water tight yet it won't happen.
I agree with your opinion of Tarkowski but glad he's not been picked for the squad and although Branthwaite is there and the experience will improve him even more,I hope he doesn't get a minute on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back