2023/24 Beto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats right eggs.

I have had a sneaking suspicion with him though...with the way the deal is structured and the value fee we brought him in for -- as well as the Chermiti signing.

I wonder if this season is about getting DCL back up and running and developing Chermiti to be ready for next season.

Then seeking a profit on Beto before we need to pay anything for him.

Could be way off but im not sure we plan to have all three competing next season for one position.

…players like Chermiti have to prove they are good enough. It’s fine suggesting he’s the DCL replacement but he looks a long way from that level at the moment. I’d be concerned that his club purchased Gyokeres when they had Chermiti on the conveyer belt.

Collymore just bigged him up on TalkShoite. Said he saw him as a cash cow in not so many words.

….he was certainly a ‘cash cow’ for Udinese, they‘re making €10m on him in 12 months. Terrific business agreeing to pay €15m last summer.

I think that’s his value but he has attitude and is a late starter in the game so there could be an upward curve.

I'm happy with him so far, he's no world beater, but, he's huge, quick brave and he wins lots of our long punts upfield. He keeps opposition defenses on their toes and causes enough mayhem for other players to benefit. He's never going to be a slotter, but, he will weigh in with 8 to 10 goals and he really allows his team mates to get up the field. He's not in Calvert Lewin's class, but, he's light years ahead of the likes of Maupay, Rondon, Simms, Cannon etc.

I would say he is much more difficult to knock off the ball than Dom. If you get him ahead of his man (*cough bad offsides call) he will be away and be more of a counter attacking threat. But you have Dom that is ever improving with his footwork and can hit it with both feet and score some spectacular aerial goals. We have the perfect stable of donkeys. Chermo has the perfect mentors
As a big fella himself, what foil for Chermitti. Not exactly Zlatan and Benzema, but it'll do

Goals will come. He’s the type of player we needed in the range we could afford. He’s not quite at DCL’s level in some aspects but, fitness issues aside, DCL would have been worth twice Beto’s price tag if not more.

Personally feel it’s been money well spent. There’s a lot to like about how Beto plays. Suits the Premier League but there’s more to him than just being a big lanky nuisance.

A man of class.

1696060472670.webp

We might also need to temper our understanding of our striking options a bit, both DCL and Beto are decent finishers with DCL only slightly better than Beto. Both can be characterized as Good not Great at the moment, for instance, a great striker would have had a hattrick against Villa. DCL offers better movement, and link-up play, but has poor shots from outside the box or generating power from shots or headers in comparison to Beto.

We might also need to temper our understanding of our striking options a bit, both DCL and Beto are decent finishers with DCL only slightly better than Beto. Both can be characterized as Good not Great at the moment, for instance, a great striker would have had a hattrick against Villa. DCL offers better movement, and link-up play, but has poor shots from outside the box or generating power from shots or headers in comparison to Beto.

Cant comment on Beto in the air but calvert lewin is one of the best in this league with his head. Its easly his biggest strength. Been saying for a long time that at Goodison just whip in cross after cross for him to attack and he'll bury more with his head than he misses.

Cant comment on Beto in the air but calvert lewin is one of the best in this league with his head. Its easly his biggest strength. Been saying for a long time that at Goodison just whip in cross after cross for him to attack and he'll bury more with his head than he misses.
DCL definitely can win more headers (probably more than Beto), but he guides them and has superb close control. I don't remember instances where he generates power on these headers, the last one was that palace diving header one. Beto has already shown that he can generate a lot of power and vertical lift during headers simply from that Doncaster miss. But that is all I meant, both strikers seem to have very nice complementarities and I am looking forward to how it will play out on the pitch.

DCL definitely can win more headers (probably more than Beto), but he guides them and has superb close control. I don't remember instances where he generates power on these headers, the last one was that palace diving header one. Beto has already shown that he can generate a lot of power and vertical lift during headers simply from that Doncaster miss. But that is all I meant, both strikers seem to have very nice complementarities and I am looking forward to how it will play out on the pitch.

Spurs away in ancelotti's first game. Bullet header into the top corner. Tbh power isnt everything in heading. As long as it ends in the net. Cahill was brilliant in the air and hardly any were power headers. But i take your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back