Bill Kenwright

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was inevitable when he died that he would be heaped with praise and eulogised by his acolytes, whilst the rest of us have had to bite our tongues. It's just the nature of things and is a respectable way for things to happen when a controversial figure passes away. I suggest a week after the man's funeral would be a time when we can have an honest discussion about his time in charge of EFC. Not too sure where that will get us, but still. Let the healing begin and all that. UTFT.

So theres no middle ground between as you call eulogising "acolytes" and ordinary loyal Blues with a sense of decency and respect ? Seems to be a lot of people all over the country who knew the man and respected him.

Tongues you say have actually "been bitten" on here. If they had have been in honesty, then surely they wouldnt have been on here in the first place ??? Suggest discussions all you like, but picking over a man a week after his funeral surely says more about those doing so ...than it will ever do about him.

Some people on here seem to have real difficulty separating work from real life. Most experiences people had of Bill are from the work perspective, and scrutiny about his role in his job. However it is clear from the outpouring of tributes, right across the spectrum, that in his personal life he was a truly decent man.

People that can't see past that, and think they have the right to hurl abuse at a dead man because he made decisions that nobody knows the drivers for. I have pity for I really do.

So theres no middle ground between as you call eulogising "acolytes" and ordinary loyal Blues with a sense of decency and respect ? Seems to be a lot of people all over the country who knew the man and respected him.

Tongues you say have actually "been bitten" on here. If they had have been in honesty, then surely they wouldnt have been on here in the first place ??? Suggest discussions all you like, but picking over a man a week after his funeral surely says more about those doing so ...than it will ever do about him.
Don't understand your point, to be honest. Those of us who thought Kenwright was a disaster as a chairman but appreciate he was well respected for many other things including his work for charity and his career in the West End (of which I know nothing, to be fair) are able to separate these parts of his life.

For me, Bill Kenwright was the Chairman of Everton FC and as an Evertonian I am perfectly at liberty to suggest that while I recognise that now is the time for respect for him, his family and friends and a period of silence regards the legacy he's left us with, that debate will most likely continue at some time in the near future. Has that debate now been shut down forever or just until a date in the near future? I merely suggested the later.

Clearly a nice man in his personal life, clearly a dreadful Chairman for Everton Football Club.

I find it inconceivable that he stayed on as Chairman (whether Moshiri asked him to or not) considering his health and the perilous position the club is in. This was an appalling decision from both BK and the club and I just cannot fathom it.

I didn’t wish him ill health and feel sorry for his family but I’m relieved that he’s no longer a part of the club.

Also not a fan of naming anything after him at the new stadium. The only thing that has benefited from BKs 30+ years association with Everton Football Club is his own bank account, to the tune of tens of millions of pounds.

Never let it be forgotten that the reason Bill wasn't able to attend Goodison in the final year of his life was because decisions were taken by people who told him not to take his seat at the ground one day as they were determined to peddle untrue stories about the fans.

Those people should have a heavy conscience for what they did to Bill Kenwright. They live with that forever. They turned a fanbase sceptical of BK into something much worse and poisoned his relationship with the club. We all know who they are.

RIP Bill.
He had a huge hand in that himself, the stories made up about fans stank of bill and his media cronies. He may have passed away estranged from goodison, but he also did so on a big pile of cash at our expense.

Some people on here seem to have real difficulty separating work from real life. Most experiences people had of Bill are from the work perspective, and scrutiny about his role in his job. However it is clear from the outpouring of tributes, right across the spectrum, that in his personal life he was a truly decent man.

People that can't see past that, and think they have the right to hurl abuse at a dead man because he made decisions that nobody knows the drivers for. I have pity for I really do.

Save your pity..... and your faux moral high ground. Where were you for the previous 750 pages of this thread to defend him when he was actually alive?

Be honest, you didn't come near it because you knew you wouldn't have a leg to stand on and could offer no argument other than to say "In his personal life he was a truly decent man".....

A good man who cared and tried his best.

A poor chairman who did a crap job of moving the club forward.

I think that's fair.

Fair enough in my view, RIP Bill, sincere condolences to his wife and family, suggest its time to move on for us and our club. Hope we give him a good old fashioned send off before and after our game on Wednesday, I will be attending.

He had a huge hand in that himself, the stories made up about fans stank of bill and his media cronies. He may have passed away estranged from goodison, but he also did so on a big pile of cash at our expense.

I don't think he's ever been someone not prepared to face up fans. We have to accept that the feller was very ill by that stage last season and won't have been operating as held usually do. Those around him will have been pushing at an open door in commanding him to miss that game.

The badly let him down.

As I said a few time so far on this thread: there'll be time enough to dissect BKs legacy - which weighs heavily out of his favour IMO.

I don't think he's ever been someone not prepared to face up fans. We have to accept that the feller was very ill by that stage last season and won't have been operating as held usually do. Those around him will have been pushing at an open door in commanding him to miss that game.

The badly let him down.

As I said a few time so far on this thread: there'll be time enough to dissect BKs legacy - which weighs heavily out of his favour IMO.
I would say he operated exactly as he normally did, just that media had moved on to an extent he no longer understood it or could control by having his contacts in the right places. This time his tactics could be seen through and communicated as such and it exposed him.

He made his choices and aligned himself closely with some truly awful people, I can't comprehend where you have to be morally to be pals with phillip green. Spending his last year estranged from Goodison was a consequence of his own actions.

The badly let him down.

I'd say stopping AGMs (twice) refutes the argument that he would always face up to fans. Not to mention the stage managed AGMs that did take place, often descending into farce when multiple shareholder's questions were often swept aside or answered only with lies. In fact, this is the crux of the matter and always has been.

Mourne his passing as a fellow human being, but, be he liked or loathed, however small or large it may be, everybody leaves a legacy and his will need to be assessed - Eventually.

Inappropriate Language
Save your pity..... and your faux moral high ground. Where were you for the previous 750 pages of this thread to defend him when he was actually alive?

Be honest, you didn't come near it because you knew you wouldn't have a leg to stand on and could offer no argument other than to say "In his personal life he was a truly decent man".....
I have no desire to defend him, or attack him, because sport is a pastime so ultimately; i don't really give a [Poor language removed] what business decisions he has made, and actually being a decent bloke is a good argument, isn't that what we all aspire to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back