Bill Kenwright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Having just read on another forum that a part of the Dele deal was we would pay Spurs money IF HE SIGNED A NEW CONTRACT WITH US AFTER HIS EXISTING ONE ENDED, which might be the worst piece of business ever done by a football chairman on this planet, I had an idle google at Bill Kenwright's involvement with the club and can't help posting about some prescient coincidences.

On the day Bill joined the board, October 23rd 1989, Everton were top of the table having just battered reigning champions Arsenal 3-0 at Goodison, one of the best stadiums in the country, a couple of days before. Within days, Everton went to Aston Villa and lost 6-2, then plummeted down the table. Clearly, this had nothing to do with Bill. He's a lot of things, but no-one can blame him for us shipping 6 at Villa.

Thirty four years to the day he joined the club as a board member, Bill passed on. The club was drowning in debt, playing in one of the worst grounds in the top flight, riddled by warring factions, the board unable to watch matches after fake stories of fan violence, perennial relegation fighters, 4 Merseyside derby wins in 23 years and about to receive eight points in penalties.

The club goes on a run of 7 wins in 9 and wins the next Derby 2-0.

Now. Bill was neither responsible for Colin Harvey's charges plummeting down the league in 1989, nor was his absence the reason the club won 7 in 9 last Autumn and battered Liverpool recently. But the clubs situation directly either side of his exact 34 years at the club provides a remarkable narrative. I honestly believe the culture of the club has been lifted out of some sort of strange hold and we about to see what we COULD have become in the 1990's with a different set of leaders.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Having just read on another forum that a part of the Dele deal was we would pay Spurs money IF HE SIGNED A NEW CONTRACT WITH US AFTER HIS EXISTING ONE ENDED, which might be the worst piece of business ever done by a football chairman on this planet, I had an idle google at Bill Kenwright's involvement with the club and can't help posting about some prescient coincidences.

On the day Bill joined the board, October 23rd 1989, Everton were top of the table having just battered reigning champions Arsenal 3-0 at Goodison, one of the best stadiums in the country, a couple of days before. Within days, Everton went to Aston Villa and lost 6-2, then plummeted down the table. Clearly, this had nothing to do with Bill. He's a lot of things, but no-one can blame him for us shipping 6 at Villa.

Thirty four years to the day he joined the club as a board member, Bill passed on. The club was drowning in debt, playing in one of the worst grounds in the top flight, riddled by warring factions, the board unable to watch matches after fake stories of fan violence, perennial relegation fighters, 4 Merseyside derby wins in 23 years and about to receive eight points in penalties.

The club goes on a run of 7 wins in 9 and wins the next Derby 2-0.

Now. Bill was neither responsible for Colin Harvey's charges plummeting down the league in 1989, nor was his absence the reason the club won 7 in 9 last Autumn and battered Liverpool recently. But the clubs situation directly either side of his exact 34 years at the club provides a remarkable narrative. I honestly believe the culture of the club has been lifted out of some sort of strange hold and we about to see what we COULD have become in the 1990's with a different set of leaders.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
Ha I know it is strange isn’t it? It was genuinely like he was a curse, whether that curse has lifted is another matter entirely. Bill has a messianic complex and his situation very broadly speaking runs parallels with politicians in the political world who get voted in to office, but then somehow manage to stay on and on, despite the growing unrest. Truly selfish and delusional man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back