Boss photos you've taken

It was 5°c outside but it felt closer to zero as the after-midnight air was whipped up by a more than modest wind... Meant only a short hunt in the darkness, and 3 subjects found.

First a midge (or garden gnat) sheltering underneath the fence lateral bar keeping out of the wind as best it could... Then on a nearby concrete post between two fence panels I found another overwintering ladybird... And finally one of my resident Steatoda bipuncta (rabbit-hutch) spiders which don't seem to mind the temperatures at all...

midge_b1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

ladybird_post_b1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

ladybird_post_b2_4k_1800-XL.jpg

bipuncta_b3_4k_1800-XL.jpg

bipuncta_b2_4k_1800-XL.jpg

bipuncta_b1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Dicyrtomina saundersi

If anyone has gone outdoors today you'll know how windy and cold it is. I went into the garden to put the food scraps into the recycle bin in a shirt and cardigan when I spotted this springtail. Took some pics, but it was too cold and windy to hold the camera steadily, so not not quite where I would like the focus to be, but they'll do for now...

sau05_4k_1800-XL.jpg

sau04_4k_1800-XL.jpg

sau03_4k_1800-XL.jpg

sau01_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

In the first fortnight of February, I got a nice surprise when I went hunting around the garden looking for springtails (found one, hard to get though as usual...)

colly1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Anyway, I was instead delighted to discover a bonus visitor - which I assume, as it was on the door of the recycling bin, that it went back into after I took a few photos (I went back to the computer to upload and check them - and when I went back out it had disappeared...)

We do have a very small pond but that is 4 metres away from where I found this wonderful smooth newt, and is the first one I have seen in my garden for many years!

newt4_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt2_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt5_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt3_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt6_4k_1800-XL.jpg

I offered it a worm to see if it might be tempted to have a snack, but the worm went its own merry way...

newt9_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt7_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

In the first fortnight of February, I got a nice surprise when I went hunting around the garden looking for springtails (found one, hard to get though as usual...)

colly1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Anyway, I was instead delighted to discover a bonus visitor - which I assume, as it was on the door of the recycling bin, that it went back into after I took a few photos (I went back to the computer to upload and check them - and when I went back out it had disappeared...)

We do have a very small pond but that is 4 metres away from where I found this wonderful smooth newt, and is the first one I have seen in my garden for many years!

newt4_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt2_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt5_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt3_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt6_4k_1800-XL.jpg

I offered it a worm to see if it might be tempted to have a snack, but the worm went its own merry way...

newt9_4k_1800-XL.jpg

newt7_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Sign of a pond that`s in tip top condition too ;)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back