Boss photos you've taken

11pm tonight or so, and the garden stones offered a moment or two to capture forever.

A small 3-4mm cobweb spider, then an elongate springtail popped its nose out of the moss, as I was trying to grab the globby.

teeny_spidey_Mar5_4k_1800-XL.jpg

flat_spr_Mar5_4k_1800-XL.jpg

glo_2_mar5_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

These photographs were taken in a controlled conservation area (I am registered with an organisation/charity as a volunteer).

I should point out about the great crested newt:

Due to enormous declines in range and abundance in the last century, the great crested newt is strictly protected by British and European law which makes it an offence to: kill, injure, capture or disturb them; damage or destroy their habitat; and to possess, sell or trade. This law refers to all great crested newt life stages, including eggs.

Please see the following regarding the GCN > FROGLIFE

Great crested newts are the largest of the UK's three native species. They are dark brown or black in colour with a distinct ‘warty’ skin. The underside is bright orange with irregular black blotches. Please remember too, being highly protected in law, that you cannot hold them if you find them (except for rescue purposes).

Let finish by saying I am privileged to be able to photograph these amphibians - and that the conservation work we do on our secure nature reserve, is critically important. I will share more images to this thread when possible.

gcn_01_4k_1800-XL.jpg

gcn_02_4k_1800-XL.jpg

gcn_03_4k_1800-XL.jpg

gcn_04_4k_1800-XL.jpg

gcn_05_4k_1800-XL.jpg

gcn_06_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Here is fine specimen of the amazing centipede (great subjects, but I dislike them a little... urgghhh)...

And in a small pool of water, you can see several species of water loving creatures: the corpse of a waterhog louse (Asellus aquaticus), a flatworm (Polycellis nigra - an invertebrate of the phylum Platyhelminthes), a couple of globular springtails - this time a different species to the one above (Sminthurides malmgreni) and several Copepod (Cyclops is one of the most common genera of freshwater copepods, fresh-water crustaceans, especially cladocera, commonly called water fleas).

cent_02_4k_1800-XL.jpg

cent_01_4k_1800-XL.jpg

cent_03_4k_1800-XL.jpg

flatworm_01_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

I went back on to my local nature reserve and took a few more photographs today, some of which I have found the subjects for the first time...

7-spot ladybirds and a spesis sp. ant-mimic fly:

7-Spot_and_Sepsis_Fly_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Scarlet elf cap fungus - not seen this before this week - and a close look shows a tiny katinnidae sp. globular springtail, and in the 2nd, a Lepidocyrtus elongate springtail.

scarlet_1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

scarlet_2_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Apion frumentarium weevil - another first.

apion_weevil_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Neriene clathrata (sheet web spider) - another first.

cobweb_spider_01_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back