Cahill selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moore06

Socceroos star Tim Cahill says he will definitely return to Australia for next month's opening World Cup qualifier against Qatar if selected by Pim Verbeek.

The Everton midfielder is among a host of European-based Socceroos Verbeek is considering calling upon for the crucial February 6 match in Melbourne.

The Socceroos coach is still assessing the A-League talent pool and determining how much he can rely on it before naming his side on Wednesday.

But Cahill today joined the recent chorus of overseas players, including Vince Grella and Mark Bresciano, to commit to the game if needed.

"I'm available for Australia any time," Cahill told Sydney radio.

"I fought so hard in court cases and things to play for Australia," he added of his battle with FIFA for eligibility with the Socceroos after representing Samoa at under-20 level.

"I'm not all of a sudden going to turn around and say I don't want to play for Australia."

Everton have league games scheduled either side of the qualifier, against Blackburn on February 2 and Reading on February 9.

But Cahill said he anticipated no problems with getting away for the match or any in the future long as both Verbeek and Everton boss David Moyes approached the situation carefully.

"I've had a meeting with Pim and David Moyes and I think it just comes down to common sense with Pim and common sense with Moyes," Cahill said.

"But he (Verbeek) knows he's got my 100 per cent backing and that's the main thing."

Cahill has been in scintillating form in the Premier League since retuning to the pitch in October after a frustrating six months out with a broken left foot.

He has scored three times in his past four league games and is Everton's second-highest scorer this season with six goals, despite only playing in 11 matches out of 22.

The midfielder said his time away from the game had renewed his hunger and desire this year.

"One of the things about it is I missed being part of the Premier League, I missed being part of the football and I think you can see it now that I've come back," Cahill said.

"I always play with a smile on my face, I'm very competitive and I just want to keep making the right noises."

I really hope Moyes lets him play. :D, we need him!

What??

Your kidding mate, Qatar wont be a run over for us. I heard the other day that Pim is looking at our European players and Qatar have got a few Brazilian and South American players. For us to win any games in the World Cup we need to qualify. Why not use our best players? Who in our midfield is going to trouble them?

Your kidding mate, Qatar wont be a run over for us. I heard the other day that Pim is looking at our European players and Qatar have got a few Brazilian and South American players. For us to win any games in the World Cup we need to qualify. Why not use our best players? Who in our midfield is going to trouble them?

because attacking midfielders is something the A-league has alot of, i think Pim will bring back players the a-league lacks like, Neill etc. Also i reckon that Verbeek would like to leave Cahill here to rest him and to yet in Moyes good graces.

Club over country fellas!

I think Everton will need him more for Blackburn away than Australia will need him against Quatar.

You see I believe it should be country over club, but the country should pay that players wages for the week he is away.

I also think all International qualifiers should be played at the same time, so the Premiership takes a break and all games are played during that period.

We are no certs to beat Qatar, and having tim play would be of great benifit, but i think from the a league based players attacking mids are the strongest group, i would say Joel Griffiths will trouble them enough for tim to stay and fight the cause for Everton

Yeah the teams should get compo definetely.
If the average player is gone for 4-6 weeks for the ANC clubs must losing around 150 -200 grand, give or take, on each player.

I sing Z-cars over the national anthem myself.

If Tim wants to play though we've got to let him go, I agree that players should have the right to choose like.

Why piss his club off by selecting him for such a match? What are Qatar 100th in the world rankings or something? And its a home match. They'll be so freaking jet lagged it won't matter.

Unless you play a team of jetlagged players like Cahill etc.

Can hardly do the player any good trying to play in one premiership match for 90 minutes and instead of warming down, getting on a plane with all its recycled air and pressure and flying for 14 hours to the otherside of the world to play some crappy team and then get back on the plane, when you should be recovering anyway, to come back and play in another premiership game.

Timmy has been doing this throughout his career, and its one of the reasons he gets these niggling injuries. Give him a [Poor language removed]' rest. He's one of yur best players and you will need him for proper tests. Thing is tim won't say no as he is a patriot, but its getting a little ridiculous.

If this was the asian cup final (how you qualify as asian is anyone's guess like) by all means, but its just a qualifier - and tim or no tim, you should kick their sorry arses.

[Poor language removed] me, if you don't have the domestic players in Oz to give Qatar a hiding, give up the game now.

14 hours? I wish... can be more like 20...

Also, a lot of our best players are overseas where the money is (ie. Timmy), which is why we don't have as many at home. The new A league has only been going for a couple of years, and the sponsors are slowly catching on, which is allowing for some of the better players to stay at home, rather than having to move so far away. Give us time, Leon.

Also

I think we can beat Qatar, but look what happened in the Asian Cup. Anyway, i think Tim will play same with Kewell and Neil.

My only concern is everton and it pisses me off that cahill is willing to go to melbourne mid season for such a trivial game and that his national manager may well ask him to.

He gets paid, what 50,000 pounds a week, to play for Everton - money that comes, primarily, not from sponsorship deals or marketing tie ins, not from selling players or even merchandise, but from season ticket holders, most of them working class - who can nary afford the prohibitive costs of supporting their team.

It is totally selfish on his part to expect to be able to swan off, leaving us in the lurch and missing several games.

He said not so long ago that it was time to think about his club rather than his country. Looks like he's soon forgot about that. now that he has a new manager to impress.

Alex Ferguson would put so much pressure on him, he'd either retire or get sold. Cant say I'd blame him.

I completely understand your frustration, I'm just wondering whether you'd say the same if he was English, and wanting to play for the English team in a WC qualifier?

If we want to improve the game in Australia, qualifying for the World Cup is fairly important, and will provide loads of support / corporate interest in the local game (which is competing with sports that have a far higher profile in this nation).

Not trying to have a dig, just seeing what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back