Cahill selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
the thing is it is a fifa date so he has a right to go.

Anyway Verbeek looks likely to only select a few foriegn players to make up the squad, the question is whether or not he chooses Timmy to be among them.

I dont know if many of you realise but Australia has 180 players playing abroad, that pretty much means the top echelon of australian players play overseas, so it is inescapable that overseas based players will be selected. The logic is if yoru going to go to the trouble of bringing back players you may aswell bring back a few quality ones.

And Timmy is seen today as australias best, better than Viduka, Kewell, Bresciano etc.

I completely understand your frustration, I'm just wondering whether you'd say the same if he was English, and wanting to play for the English team in a WC qualifier?

If we want to improve the game in Australia, qualifying for the World Cup is fairly important, and will provide loads of support / corporate interest in the local game (which is competing with sports that have a far higher profile in this nation).

Not trying to have a dig, just seeing what you think.

there'd be no problem if he was english; as our games don't coincide with premiership fixtures and our home games obviously aren't located directly on the other side of the planet.

But to answer your question if came between England and Everton, everton every time. [Poor language removed] England.

He's already missed the start of the season, thanks to aggravating an injury in the asian cup. the summer before he was knackered from the world cup (bad BTW, Italians cheated there way to the trophy - twas never a penalty),
now he's gonna start flying round the world mid season, missing games, to play 60 minutes vs Qatar. Please! Maybe Australia could see some sense and realise this is not good for him. Tim's got a big heart, but if he retires when he's 28 from football because of chronic exhaustion we'll know why.

At the very least we should look into financial compensation for our losses. Its not like releasing a player to play in Spain or Portugal midweek is it?

[Poor language removed] me, first the ACN and then this bag of [Poor language removed].

he should show some respect to his club for a change.

Yeah sod the people of Australia, we own there players and make loads of cash to entertain the miserable gits on the motherland.

Give me a break, the problem lies with the fact that the Premier league and competitions take up ten out of twelve months of the year. If the league had a winter break or less games, there would be more room for internationals.

I love internationals. Theres gotta be a happy medium, and it shows how much commitment and pride we have to our national shirts. I guess you pommies have as big a commitment to your national teams...

...haha i love this argument against the old enemy. Theres always only one winner!!!!!

Come back Mont!

i think Tim should let this one slide, it's a huge game for australia, but a jet-lagged, cahill is not the answer. To bag tim for saying he wants to play for is country is pretty rough though, You guys need to understand the importance of the whole thing and i think it will give you a clearer picture as to why he has made himself available. In Australia, football is probably 3rd or even 4th chioce for most australians behind Rugby League, AFL, and Rugby Union. But its only a few steps away from really cutting into those markets supporters, especially since our great result in Germany. The thing is anyone who has a real vested intrest in the other sports mention take every oportunity to try to belittle the sport of football (or soccer as they call it, as they know if it was to reach its potential it would overtake them all) and if we were to fail to qualify for this world cup millions of portential supports would be lost (yes some Aussies are fickle, and expect results), and the haters would come out and tell everyone how football is rubbish and that it's popularity as just a flash in the pan etc. The fact we are not certanties to beat Qatar probably does indicate we are pretty unlikly to go on and win the world cup, thats a given, but we need to qualify to keep the progress of the game itself in this country going. Its not like if England failed to qualify for the world cup, the premier league could go belly up, but if Australia didn't qualfy for this world cup It would be BAD Times for the A league, and the game in this country.

Exactly

We understand that England could organise a fifth's or sixth team to beat Qatar probably by plenty. But Australia may struggle. Look at the Asian Cup for example. I think we gained alot of confidence from the World Cup, but then we lost it all at the Asian Cup, didnt help that the media pretty much said we had the trophy before we played a match. Anyway, in the end if Tim doesnt play it's not the end of the world, but if we lose this match, we face a uphill battle to qualify against the likes of Japan and others.

We understand that England could organise a fifth's or sixth team to beat Qatar probably by plenty. But Australia may struggle. Look at the Asian Cup for example. I think we gained alot of confidence from the World Cup, but then we lost it all at the Asian Cup, didnt help that the media pretty much said we had the trophy before we played a match. Anyway, in the end if Tim doesnt play it's not the end of the world, but if we lose this match, we face a uphill battle to qualify against the likes of Japan and others.

England qualified for their own euro competition didnt they?

Id suggest that a full strength England sid would struggle in Qatar. Remebering that its in desert, and is gunna be bloody hot.

Hey hang on, didnt they only need a result against Croatia at home?

Haha stop attacking the englishmen! For me, I'd want Pienaar to miss a match to play in a game against any country, unless the games a friendly.

Personally i'd let him go. I believe that there is no greater honour in any sport than representing your country, no matter how seemingly irrelevant or unimportant the game is. Yeah it sucks for Everton, but like with Yakubu, Pienaar and Yobo it is something that we have to accept when we sign the player.

Hopefully sometime soon FIFA, the other governing bodies and national assosiations/leagues will take a serious look at the scheduling and fixtures list and work out a way to make it all fit together better.

Obviously this is no easy task with the disparity of climates, league sizes, regional skill levels etc etc, but as football becomes even more global not just in support, but in the number of countries with "international" quality players, it is increasingly something that needs to be tackled (:p) sooner rather than later i feel.

Personally i'd let him go. I believe that there is no greater honour in any sport than representing your country, no matter how seemingly irrelevant or unimportant the game is. Yeah it sucks for Everton, but like with Yakubu, Pienaar and Yobo it is something that we have to accept when we sign the player.

Hopefully sometime soon FIFA, the other governing bodies and national assosiations/leagues will take a serious look at the scheduling and fixtures list and work out a way to make it all fit together better.

Obviously this is no easy task with the disparity of climates, league sizes, regional skill levels etc etc, but as football becomes even more global not just in support, but in the number of countries with "international" quality players, it is increasingly something that needs to be tackled (:p) sooner rather than later i feel.

there is one greater honour in sport.

Playing for Everton. Tim's starting to take it for granted. So I'm beginning to think we should sell him.

He obviously doesn't give much of a toss about us when there is a massive game against qatar in melbourne he could go to.

If he goes to this game, then honestly, I can't say I'll support him again. It simply takes the piss out of a lot of hard working evertonians who pay damn good money to keep him living a movie star life style, adored by millions.

[Poor language removed] that. Him going could be the difference between champions league and barely scraping into the uefa cup.

Can't see a top side in Spain, Portugal, Italy or Germany being happy letting him go, nor in England. Maybe we should sell him to Newcastle - Keegan would let him do what he wants - probably allow him to commute from melbourne every week.

Why piss his club off by selecting him for such a match? What are Qatar 100th in the world rankings or something? And its a home match. They'll be so freaking jet lagged it won't matter.

Unless you play a team of jetlagged players like Cahill etc.

Can hardly do the player any good trying to play in one premiership match for 90 minutes and instead of warming down, getting on a plane with all its recycled air and pressure and flying for 14 hours to the otherside of the world to play some crappy team and then get back on the plane, when you should be recovering anyway, to come back and play in another premiership game.

Timmy has been doing this throughout his career, and its one of the reasons he gets these niggling injuries. Give him a [Poor language removed]' rest. He's one of yur best players and you will need him for proper tests. Thing is tim won't say no as he is a patriot, but its getting a little ridiculous.

If this was the asian cup final (how you qualify as asian is anyone's guess like) by all means, but its just a qualifier - and tim or no tim, you should kick their sorry arses.

[Poor language removed] me, if you don't have the domestic players in Oz to give Qatar a hiding, give up the game now.

I agree that a trip to oz and a weeks rest on return wont do him any harm. I think he's been a bit quiet lately on the pitch, still trying to get 100% match fit, maybe a niggle, doesnt help when playing in a 4-4-2 which is not his best position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back