Can we have some calm for once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super rare L from my man Lan here
I honestly haven’t. There are some caveats to that like, in that I have some of the obvious people on ignore and I haven’t gone through all the threads, so I could be missing some stuff.

I’m also talking relatively here, so while there might be some angst it’s nothing on how it’s been at this stage in most recent seasons. I mean as an example, I’ve been talking to someone in another thread who repeatedly argued a couple years ago that a team which had finished 7th the season before and went on to finish 8th was the worst team in the league and lucky to stay up, and is now arguing that a team which finished 16th last year and is picking up a point a game this year definitely won’t find itself anywhere near a relegation battle.

There's no over-reaction. If there is, it is the mirror image of the virtual bus parades that greeted wins over the mighty West Ham and Southampton. What I do see, however, is yet another free pass being handed to Frank for the Newcastle game. He should be good enough to have us competitive there and in contention for at least a point. We might lose, but we might just as easily take a point. We most definitely should be going there sensing an opportunity to get something.
You were saying yesterday that we don't beat the teams we should be beating, yet you then dismiss the wins against West Ham and Southampton as pointless! This is the same West Ham team, that finished in front of us last season as well.

Frank as of now has the full support of the vast majority of the fanbase, most of us are willing to give him a fair chance, and the aim this season is to stay around 14th/15th and avoid being dragged into a relegation battle imo.

I do think though that we should be aiming for maximum points, out of the Palace, Fulham and Bournemouth games. If things go awry there, then we could have problems alright, but for now i'm seeing enough positive signs to suggest that we should be fine imo.

You were saying yesterday that we don't beat the teams we should be beating, yet you then dismiss the wins against West Ham and Southampton as pointless! This is the same West Ham team, that finished in front of us last season as well.

Frank as of now has the full support of the vast majority of the fanbase, most of us are willing to give him a fair chance, and the aim this season is to stay around 14th/15th and avoid being dragged into a relegation battle imo.

I do think though that we should be aiming for maximum points, out of the Palace, Fulham and Bournemouth games. If things go awry there, then we could have problems alright, but for now i'm seeing enough positive signs to suggest that we should be fine imo.
I said nothing of the sort. I said that if we are giving the manager and team a pass against teams that are deemed "better than us" then we should be demanding wins against teams deemed weaker than us. I said there were very few of those.

So, you are misinterpreting me.

I am not dismissing any of our wins. I am saying our wins do not merit a bus top celebration - and our defeats do not merit a public inquiry. But if we are waving off defeats to our so-called betters, then it is incumbent on us to demand wins against our so-called inferiors. Nobody is going to demand a head for losses against the top six. But everybody else in the league is fair game. Including Newcastle United on Wednesday. Time for results.

I said nothing of the sort. I said that if we are giving the manager and team a pass against teams that are deemed "better than us" then we should be demanding wins against teams deemed weaker than us. I said there were very few of those.

So, you are misinterpreting me.

I am not dismissing any of our wins. I am saying our wins do not merit a bus top celebration - and our defeats do not merit a public inquiry. But if we are waving off defeats to our so-called betters, then it is incumbent on us to expect wins against our so-called inferiors. Nobody is going to demand a head for losses against the top six. But everybody else in the league is fair game. Including Newcastle United on Wednesday. Time for results.
If i misunderstood what you said i apologise. My main concern at the moment is with regards to the strikers. Goal scoring is a serious issue, and as long as that remains the case then this season won't be pretty at all.

Obviously if it's the end of February or early March and we're near the drop zone, then we may have to consider our options but hopefully it won't come to that. My expectation for Frank is for him to have us comfortably in midtable, and for him to have us comfortably safe from relegation.

If i misunderstood what you said i apologise. My main concern at the moment is with regards to the strikers. Goal scoring is a serious issue, and as long as that remains the case then this season won't be pretty at all.

Obviously if it's the end of February or early March and we're near the drop zone, then we may have to consider our options but hopefully it won't come to that. My expectation for Frank is for him to have us comfortably in midtable.
No worries.

Yes, I think we should be aiming for relative comfort this season. We may not be high in the table, or even mid-table, but I see progress as Evertonians avoiding the ordeal of a relegation battle this time around. If we can get 8 or 9 points more than last season, then that should keep the heart rate down.

The Everton forum is only fun when it's in panic mode.

Calm and reasonable debate?

e65.gif

Are we better than last year? Undoubtedly. But we have to have the worst attack in the league. We simply can't score. Scoring wins you games, not clean sheets.
I'd be very surprised if many -or any- team scores fewer goals than us this season, unless we bring in a reliable striker in January of course. Clearly the plan is to fix the defence, be more solid, be harder to beat and turn the weak, regular losses against inferior opposition of last season into draws at least.

That'll be what makes the difference between a relegation scrap and being about 13th come season's end.

Just watched one of the best games ever. RS v Citeh. Illustrated we are years behind their standards. If only we could produce a Foden or an Elliott from our juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.