Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it’s real knee jerk to be fed up with another insipid display against a terrible team.

Burnley
Newcastle
Fulham
Crystal Palace
Leeds
Sheffield

It’s been happening time and time again. It’s unacceptable. You need to read up on what kneejerk actually means - you can’t apply it here.

@GrandOldTeam

I admit I was pro Carlo and refused to see his flaws because of his history. I debated with friends that he isn’t past it and they kept giving me evidence that he clearly was - but I wasn’t having it.

But everything some Chelsea fans have told me about Carlo has come true unfortunately. They told me that his training sessions are a joke and the players are unfit - this has been proved true.

They said that his substitutions are always either too late or the wrong kind of sub. This has been proven true.

They said that his football is pretty boring and ‘safe’ - this has been proven true.

So I’m fed up. I’m fed up we’re paying him a huge amount in wages for the dross we serve up every single weekend. It’s simply unacceptable.
I'm seeing all those things but then three big mitigations no fans at home, two our away record isn't like this, three our squad is imbalanced and has huge holes. While Carlo has to take responsibility for the home for he also takes credit for the away form. And ultimately our players don't look arsed at home to teams below us, is that on him or them or both? Whilst I do criticise Carlo for some things, I've seen it under so many managers I err on it being mainly the players and the recruitment at fault.

There’s still not one credible name anyone has put forward for the question of ‘if not Ancelotti then who?’. Rodgers has better players at Leicester but still has been afforded time that some don’t want to afford to Ancelotti. Bielsa was also afforded far more time. These are the only names that anyone puts forward for the job description of turning around one of the most disastrous institutions in English football from 30 years of going in the wrong direction.

They are the most high profile names. But the man who gets the job and actually delivers on what every Everton fan hopes for, could be anybody.

Rodgers was a Swansea manager, with no real track record of success, and took Liverpool to a Gerrard slip away from the title. Hodgson and Ranieri were journeymen who hadn’t managed in England in 10 years when they took Fulham to the Europa League final and Leicester to the title respectively. Moyes is doing an excellent job at West Ham now and, for the most part, has been a failure for much of the last decade.

At the time all of these appointments raised eyebrows. But all of them were the RIGHT manager at the right time. Not the best managers, by any stretch.

The RIGHT manager for Everton could be a total surprise. It could still be Ancelotti, but something tells me it won’t be unless the club spend £150-£200m + this summer.

They are the most high profile names. But the man who gets the job and actually delivers on what every Everton fan hopes for, could be anybody.

Rodgers was a Swansea manager, with no real track record of success, and took Liverpool to a Gerrard slip away from the title. Hodgson and Ranieri were journeymen who hadn’t managed in England in 10 years when they took Fulham to the Europa League final and Leicester to the title respectively. Moyes is doing an excellent job at West Ham now and, for the most part, has been a failure for much of the last decade.

At the time all of these appointments raised eyebrows. But all of them were the RIGHT manager at the right time. Not the best managers, by any stretch.

The RIGHT manager for Everton could be a total surprise. It could still be Ancelotti, but something tells me it won’t be unless the club spend £150-£200m + this summer.

we will spend big

Joe Kinnear going to Newcastle must have seemed a good idea at the time. I believe he still lives so why not go for him even it is just for the comedy value alone lol

I am still with Carlo for now. I think the penny dropped last night even if the eye brow didn’t. The biggest things the team needs are energy and pace (preferably with good technique). We are such a slow team generally. A bit of reliable guile wouldn’t hurt either.

You’re all living in a fantasy land if you think the club will sign off on the notion that it’s all the players fault and that we need to sell 90% of the squad. It’s never, ever happening.

In professional football, the buck always stops with the manager - always has and always will. He’s paid a hell of a lot of money to get results and performances out of the players. And he has failed at this. Even with HIS players we still couldn’t manage a goal against a turgid Sheffield. That’s on Carlo and his system, tactics and preparation - or lack of it.

I hate most of our players, you’re all correct in saying that they’re not very good. But the manager’s performances have also been abysmal.
The blokes out of his depth, even the stuff like bringing delph on annoys the f out of me, what did davies to to suddenly get shafted out? Wont be here end of next season imo, 0 pts and 2 goals at home against leeds/whu/toon/ful/burn/villa/sheff is pathetic. I dont care if these are not 'his players', he has enough quality to bring something to the table in these games yet he serves up the same sideways slow tactics each time lol. Hes never done a project like ours so why is it gonna suddenly all click with new players?? Stinks of pellegrini at whu

There’s still not one credible name anyone has put forward for the question of ‘if not Ancelotti then who?’. Rodgers has better players at Leicester but still has been afforded time that some don’t want to afford to Ancelotti. Bielsa was also afforded far more time. These are the only names that anyone puts forward for the job description of turning around one of the most disastrous institutions in English football from 30 years of going in the wrong direction.
Oh not this again. I absolutely don't want us to sack him (and even if I did I'm about 99.99% certain that we won't anyway) but we all know how this game goes. Someone comes forward and gives you a list of 15 names from all different backgrounds and stages of their career and you dismiss all of them as either unobtainable or not good enough, and then clap yourself on the back at having 'proved' yourself right and reiterate the point a week later that nobody has put forward a single candidate.

Last edited:

You know I still can't blame Ancelotti entirely for this.
I think that a manager cannot entirely be responsible for motivation - players have to bring their own sense of self-esteem , professionalism and desire. But another problem he's got, which should be linked to his and Brands' work, that there don't seem to be enough big characters and leaders on the pitch. I feel like half the problems would be solved by good communication and encouragement on the pitch. Closing down & pressing requires communication and shouting or leadership. Running off the ball to look for space needs hand gestures, looks and shouts. There is a general lack of confidence, and a lack of leadership on the pitch, and I think that is hurting us the most.

Carlo Ancelotti makes major Everton transfer declaration after 'direct' admission​

Carlo Ancelotti gave a frank assessment of what Everton need in the summer transfer market after defeat to Sheffield United.

Carlo Ancelotti says Everton need a "better squad" with players who are comfortable on the ball to ensure they avoid a repeat of their Goodison nightmare [next season].

The Blues have now lost nine times at home in the Premier League this term, following Sheffield United's 1-0 victory on Sunday night.

Defeat has left Everton's hopes of qualifying for Europe dangling by a thread and had Ancelotti admitting he is "embarrassed" by the team's record at home.

The Blues have struggled when they have been forced to break down the opposition or chase the game after going behind and Ancelotti knows Everton must be a more attack-minded team next season.

But Ancelotti has made no secret that in order for that to happen, the Blues must head into the transfer market.

"We don't have players of strong personality with the ball, strong quality with the ball," he said.

"We are a team with defined characteristics, we are strong without the ball and direct. I think one of the technical reasons of this home run is this.

"When we try to build up from the back we have some more difficulties because we play slow. We don't have the confidence with the ball compared to the confidence that we have without the ball.

"At home we have to try and play more attacking football but it doesn't work as well as direct attacking or counter-attack in the away games.

"It is really difficult to explain but I have to find a solution for this."

Ancelotti added: "Maybe, for next season, we need to try and have, for sure, a better squad."
"Marcel Brands has built me a crap squad full of coward players"

Brands isn't perfect, but I do think some of his failings are a reflection of problems above.

The owner just doesn't see it in those terms. It is "spend money and win". The DOF doesn't choose the manager and increasingly doesn't seem to choose a lot of the players. So it's hard to imagine that he can really shape the football side of the football club.

That's before you mention the Chairman, who clearly thinks he can run a football club as a DOF better than actual DOF's.
TBF stack his record of league finishes up against Marcel and Blue Bill comes out far ahead.

The thing is for it to be the right manager, spending 150-200 million doesn’t change, no matter who it is. That’s the money required for any manager to replace the garbage. I don’t want to be hovering outside the top 4 with a manager like Moyes, I want to be in that top 4 winning the title. As far as I am concerned this club has had 25 years of unsuccessful seasons as I do not consider a flutter of trips into Europe a success. Call me deluded, whatever, but I believe this club should be at the top. I also believe that Ancelotti has not been given a fair crack at the whip.

You are seriously overestimating how many Everton fans want Ancellotti dismissed, and the small percentage that do would admit to themselves that it is seriously impractical financially and highly unlikely to happen.

Far too many pages on this thread have been wasted by people jumping to ridiculous conclusions that there is some kind of swelling Ancellotti Out movement, when in reality it is merely people raising legitimate questions about his methods, which they are allowed to do. It doesn't mean they want him sacked.

It is unclear whether Carlo is the right man for Everton, but what is clear is that he'll be given time and rightly so, his record earns him that above all else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back