Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
The funny thing is if Delph hadn't got injured against Burnley and us being forced into changing tactically in the game then we could have easily seen us start against Chelsea with the same set - up that we have been playing lately, so maybe instead of it being a tactical masterclass from Ancelotti it was more fortuitous?

Generals, lucky and good comes to mind!

The funny thing is if Delph hadn't got injured against Burnley and us being forced into changing tactically in the game then we could have easily seen us start against Chelsea with the same set - up that we have been playing lately, so maybe instead of it being a tactical masterclass from Ancelotti it was more fortuitous?
I dunno. I get the feeling more that we started the season so well as an attacking threat that he wanted to use a system to try and continue that momentum. Obviously it didn't work so now he has switched back to a more traditional set up like last year to grind out the wins/clean sheets.

Of course I've no idea what I'm talking about.

I dunno. I get the feeling more that we started the season so well as an attacking threat that he wanted to use a system to try and continue that momentum. Obviously it didn't work so now he has switched back to a more traditional set up like last year to grind out the wins/clean sheets.

Of course I've no idea what I'm talking about.

Like me and every other Everton fan mate! lol

We will be streaky and inconsistent this season. In a way Ancelotti has always been this way, at his best his teams can deliver world class performances home or away against anyone as he showed at his previous teams, at his worst they’ll lose games they should easily win. Unfortunately now though there seems to be an expectation that teams should he’d ping what City and Liverpool have been doing and smashing everyone home and away each season regardless of which teams they put our. The reality is we’re nowhere near that, when we get even a single injury our team is impacted and we have to change shape or bring in personnel who aren’t as good. Sometimes we’ll get punished for that. We started well, we were then absolutely rank performance wise for three games, and then we seem to have been a bit up and down since but picking up points. We’re still in touch with the european places and to be honest given the lack of quality and depth in the squad and the shambles of the last few seasons I’d take that for Everton about now. Of course I want better, everyone on here does, but I think there’s some green shoots that are pointing towards sustained progress which is what you and others have been calling for.

Improved form of individual players: DCL, Digne, Keane have never played better in their careers than now.

New signings: Allan, Godfrey, James, Doucoure all look like the players we thought we were getting and have all improved the first team. This is a world away from us buying player after player for big fees and all of them turning to rubbish as soon as they got through the door.

Less draws: We don’t seem to throw away as many leads as we used to. When we’re defending a lead under Carlo late on in games everyone feels confident.

Set pieces: These blighted us under Martinez and Silva. No one is talking about them any more and we’re good offensively on them.

The height of the team is better, we’re slowly but surely adding some more pace and physicality with Godfrey and Doucoure, and we now seem to have a few players in Allan Godfrey Holgate Richarlison DCL who look up for the scrap.

There’s so much work still fo be done but I think we’re in a miles better position than we have been at any point since Martinez’s first season. People can make ana regiment for the opposite and they may be proved to be right in time, but I think we’re putting in place some key pieces for a good team moving forward under Carlo.
Great post mate

SOME OF THE ANCELOTTI PRE MATCH LEICESTER P/C

Coleman update​

Everton won't take a risk on Coleman for tomorrow.

Rodriguez still out​

Rodriguez is still out and will miss Leicester

James is having individual rehab... We have to check day by day. It’s not an important problem. Maybe if he’s not available on Saturday,
he will be available next Wednesday

Delph Still Out​

Delph remains injured

On Leicester​

If we want to have a good result against Leicester, we have to do the same performance we did against Chelsea: defend well, be focused there.
Don't allow them to have the opportunity to play on the counter-attack.

On Gerard Houllier​

I met him, not a lot if times but all the times that I did, he was really nice, really kind. He did well in football.
A respectful man in my opinion and I am sad about this.

Carlo on Chelsea victory​

Ancelotti on credit afforded to Everton after Chelsea win: "I think it made more rumours the defeat of Chelsea, than the victory of Everton.
From our side we were really satisfied for the performance.

Still work to do​

We are not at the same level as these teams (like Chelsea); the fact we competed - with Tottenham and Liverpool, we beat Chelsea - is important for us. It means we are not so far from the top but we are not there yet.”

Every game is difficult​

I am sure it will be an unpredictable season. Every game is really difficult, really complicated. The table is really compact and fortunately,
Everton is there. This is good for us.

Carlo on Vardy​

This is the quality of the striker (Vardy) to score you don’t have to touch the ball a lot of times. Vardy is a great example of this.
The more touches, the more difficulties to score. I think Calvert-Lewin understands this very well

On Sigurdsson​

I agree, he did really well offensively and defensively. He didn’t start a lot of games but all the times he played, he’s played a lot of parts of the game.
I am satisfied, he can improve but at this moment it is okay.

Godfrey praise​

Ben is a good surprise for me because he’s showing all his quality. He’s a guy with a strong personality, humble,
so I think we signed a really, really good defender.

On Jean-Philippe Gbamin​

I'm waiting too, honestly. The player is desperate to come. Today, I think, he is coming. We can start to look for him.
We all hope 2021 will be fantastic for him

Carlo on James Recovery​

He started yesterday his individual training. We have to check him day by day

On Yerry Mina​

I am happy with his level. He is doing better. He had some problems in some games but is now more focused & playing with confidence.
I am satisfied

So you're saying if we lost yesterday, people wouldn't have claimed he picked the wrong team?

Okay mate.
If we'd lost, there'd be a reasonable argument that it was the wrong team, surely? I find this way of looking at things a bit odd to be honest.

I mean it's not some weird conspiracy, it's just pretty basic stuff. It's a results business, the manager and players are responsible for doing things that win games; if they do that they're doing well, if they don't they aren't. If Sigurdsson had taken his pen like that and the keeper had gone the right way and saved it we'd be saying what the hell was that, but because it went in it's a good pen. Exactly the same principle. That's just how things work isn't it. Not just in football, but in life.

Coleman update​

Rodriguez still out​

James is having individual rehab... We have to check day by day. It’s not an important problem. Maybe if he’s not available on Saturday,

Delph Still Out​

Delph remains injured

On Leicester​

If we want to have a good result against Leicester, we have to do the same performance we did against Chelsea: defend well, be focused there.

On Gerard Houllier​

I met him, not a lot if times but all the times that I did, he was really nice, really kind. He did well in football.

Ancelotti on credit afforded to Everton after Chelsea win: "I think it made more rumours the defeat of Chelsea, than the victory of Everton.

Still work to do​

We are not at the same level as these teams (like Chelsea); the fact we competed - with Tottenham and Liverpool, we beat Chelsea - is important for us. It means we are not so far from the top but we are not there yet.”

Every game is difficult​

I am sure it will be an unpredictable season. Every game is really difficult, really complicated. The table is really compact and fortunately,

Carlo on Vardy​

This is the quality of the striker (Vardy) to score you don’t have to touch the ball a lot of times. Vardy is a great example of this.
The more touches, the more difficulties to score. I think Calvert-Lewin understands this very well

On Sigurdsson​

I agree, he did really well offensively and defensively. He didn’t start a lot of games but all the times he played, he’s played a lot of parts of the game.

Godfrey praise​

Ben is a good surprise for me because he’s showing all his quality. He’s a guy with a strong personality, humble,

On Jean-Philippe Gbamin​

I'm waiting too, honestly. The player is desperate to come. Today, I think, he is coming. We can start to look for him.

Carlo on James Recovery​

On Yerry Mina​

I am happy with his level. He is doing better. He had some problems in some games but is now more focused & playing with confidence.
I am satisfied
Cheers for doing these

Coleman update​

Rodriguez still out​

Delph Still Out​

Delph remains injured

On Leicester​

On Gerard Houllier​

Still work to do​

Every game is difficult​

Carlo on Vardy​

On Sigurdsson​

Godfrey praise​

On Jean-Philippe Gbamin​

Carlo on James Recovery​

On Yerry Mina​

I am satisfied

A man who is in control navigating the good ship Everton through choppy waters.

He’s rehabilitated Mina and Keane so they are showing their best form (even if that is limited)

He’s got round both fullbacks being injured

He’s making the best use of Iwobi and Sigurdsson (again even if that is limited)

He’s stayed calm under pressure unlike a certain other less experienced manager in north London hanging his players out to dry.

He sees the bigger picture rather than jerking from game to game. He can see we’re closing the gap on the top teams even though we’re still a long way off.

This man knows football management, and whether we win or lose against Leicester I’m convinced that with Carlo at the helm we will improve over the next few years.

Coleman update​

Rodriguez still out​

Delph Still Out​

Delph remains injured

On Leicester​

On Gerard Houllier​

Still work to do​

Every game is difficult​

Carlo on Vardy​

On Sigurdsson​

Godfrey praise​

On Jean-Philippe Gbamin​

Carlo on James Recovery​

On Yerry Mina​

I am satisfied
That's got to be the biggest non-answer I've seen regarding a player coming back from injury about Gblammo.

"I am waiting too, honestly"? Wtf does that even mean?

That's got to be the biggest non-answer I've seen regarding a player coming back from injury about Gblammo.

"I am waiting too, honestly"? Wtf does that even mean?
I wouldn't try to read too much into the choice of words of someone's non-native language.
I think it just means he's looking forward to having him back ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back