Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bielsa was used as an example of a different type of manager than Ancelotti. Some claimed, including myself, that Everton as of today had had more use for this particular type of manager. Whether we are wrong or not, we have to wait to conclude.

Still, there is no doubt that Ancelotti has done well in terms of points. So it can not be criticized. On the other hand, we are only 6 points ahead of Leeds, and who have a much smaller salary budget than us. The salary budget explains 50% of the variation in the results of the teams. So in relative terms, Bielsa has actually done significantly better than Ancelotti.

There is also no doubt that Leeds is a much more fun team to watch, and has a clear identity. We have usually played terrible football, except for a handful of matches.

Of course, I support Ancelotti because he has performed as expected, and see no reason to criticize him at the moment. The only thing must be for the football we play. But as long as we get points, and are in the top 8, I hope that it will get better eventually.

I agree they were very fun to watch today.

Snigger, snigger, he just got thrashed at CRAWLEY. No time for the squatting Argentine who can't even raise his face when he speaks to the public. Snigger, snigger

Maybe I should have used the sarcasm font.

To be clear. There is no one I’d rather have in charge of Everton now than him. He is the arch pragmatist who also values beautiful football. He is the perfect profile for what we need right now.

I agree with this, but the player you are describing is a significant purchase. It’s not Josh King. If a significant player can be bought this window, I’d be delighted. But it’s a big if.

Yeah, true, so maybe a mate of one of them, an Ancelotti player, someone like Ben Godfrey, also works. But still, it's a big signing, not Josh King. Improving the current players also good! If Bernard, Tosun and Gordon become actual serious reserves to James, DCL and Richy in the front 3 then it's different.

Bielsa was used as an example of a different type of manager than Ancelotti. Some claimed, including myself, that Everton as of today had had more use for this particular type of manager. Whether we are wrong or not, we have to wait to conclude.

Still, there is no doubt that Ancelotti has done well in terms of points. So it can not be criticized. On the other hand, we are only 6 points ahead of Leeds, and who have a much smaller salary budget than us. The salary budget explains 50% of the variation in the results of the teams. So in relative terms, Bielsa has actually done significantly better than Ancelotti.

There is also no doubt that Leeds is a much more fun team to watch, and has a clear identity. We have usually played terrible football, except for a handful of matches.

Of course, I support Ancelotti because he has performed as expected, and see no reason to criticize him at the moment. The only thing must be for the football we play. But as long as we get points, and are in the top 8, I hope that it will get better eventually.

That leeds team is also bielsa's. He's signed 17 players.

I agree with this, but the player you are describing is a significant purchase. It’s not Josh King. If a significant player can be bought this window, I’d be delighted. But it’s a big if.
I don't know about that. Not necessarily King but a good attacking player with a slightly different skillset to what we already have could make a significant difference to us. Obviously we want real quality in the long term but just somebody a little bit different on loan could win you an extra couple of games and in a season like this one that might be the difference between 4th and 10th.

I don't know about that. Not necessarily King but a good attacking player with a slightly different skillset to what we already have could make a significant difference to us. Obviously we want real quality in the long term but just somebody a little bit different on loan could win you an extra couple of games and in a season like this one that might be the difference between 4th and 10th.

Agreed. For me I don’t even think they need to be high quality. If we’re 1-0 up in a game and need to take Allan or Docuoure off we just need someone mobile enough to get around the pitch and hold the fort in the middle. Equally if Iwobi needs to come off we need someone who can hold that flank. If we’re behind in games we need an attacking option that offers something different in place of or alongside DCL.

The problem at the moment is we don’t have players for any of those scenarios. Allan or Docuoure goes off and their replacements are so slow and weak that we immediately invite pressure onto us. Iwobi goes off and and a player like Bernard or Sigurdsson comes on who can’t do the same role. Tosun offers nothing different or complementary to DCL.

Even just two players on loan, one an average quick central midfielder; the other a quick utility forward, could save us so many points this season.

SOME OF THE ANCELOTTI PRE MATCH WOLVES P/C

Tosun celebration​

I think the FA checked this. No further action, so we move on.

Richarlison Latest/Calvert-Lewin out​

Richarlison will have a late check ahead of tomorrow, Calvert-Lewin out with a hamstring problem.

Allan update​

Allan will return in 10-15 days according to the boss

Ancelotti on potential break from football​

Everyone knows the country is in a difficult moment, football also. Football has some players positive, it's difficult to play games.
I think that football can be a good distraction to watch on TV.

On Wolves​

It's a really important test, we don't have a good memory of the last time we played there. We have confidence.
We have to be able to use all the energy we have to recover well, I have a lot of respect for this team.

On Tosun importance​

Cenk did well against Rotherham, he was focused in the box. He was out for a long time, his condition is not at the top, but of course it will be useful to have a striker who is used to scoring goals.”

On evolution since last Wolves defeat​

“We have more consistency, more knowledge. I think defensively we are better compared to six months ago and I hope we can show that tomorrow.

On away form​

I think all the teams have the advantage of playing behind-closed-doors away from home, but a disadvantage at home.

On celebrations​

Honestly there’s no rule that says you’re not allowed to celebrate. We’re really strict to follow the rules the Premier League put in place.
We wear mask in the dressing room, we try to keep social distance. If they tell us not to celebrate, we won’t.

I think it's not a big problem to celebrate. We adapt to everything. No managers celebrate a goal, because you have to wait for the VAR check, the celebration for the manager is gone. It can also be done for the players.

On consistency​

It’s really important, the next games are really important. We want to stay in this position. We need to get results, it will be difficult,
we have some players out but we have the squad to be able to manage these kind of games.

Calvert-Lewin injury​

He had a little problem during the week before West Ham, but for the fact he has never had this kind of injury he wasn’t able to judge himself. We want to keep him safe and, when he comes back, to be 100%”

With an important player like Dominic, we have to be able to replace him in a different way. We have to adapt for this, for sure we will be less dangerous on crosses but perhaps we can be more dangerous with the final pass.

On James Rodriguez level​

“He has to train properly, as he trained the last week, and he has to play. The fact that he played 99 minutes in the cup helped him to have a better condition for the future, that’s for sure.

On physical improvements​

No I don’t think so. he has to keep his quality at the top, and his quality is not physical. I didn’t sign him to have more physical power in the squad, but for more quality. The work of a manager is to try and put this quality and physicality together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back